Skip to main content
Topic: Anthropogenic Global Warming (Read 200222 times)

Re: Anthropogenic Global Warming

Reply #500

Hehe, but no polluting mining industries or some such? Lucky! :)

Pigs. Pigs pollute a lot.
For some reason it's the animal more alike people, so biologists says. I suppose one could live with a pig's heart...  :mad:
Probably many already lives with a pig's mind.  :lol:
A matter of attitude.

Reply #501
To get back to the topic:

Here's yet another essay — but it's from Frenchmen! That should count for something? :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #502
Here's yet another essay — but it's from Frenchmen! That should count for something?  :)

That's not an essay even less a sientific article. It's humour.
Direct aid for industries that are completely unviable (such as photovoltaics and wind turbines) but presented as  ̳virtuous‘ runs into billions of euros  :lol:

A product that pays for itself in five years and generates profits for at least another ten, without no carbon footprint, it's clearly "inviable". :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #503
This is the best one yet, Oakdale!

Quote from: Société de Calcul Mathématique SA

Summary

From the Seine‘s cold quays to the Ganges‘ burning shores,
The human troupe skips and swoons with delight, sees not
In a hole in the ceiling the Angel‘s trumpet
Gaping ominously like a black blunderbuss.

Charles Baudelaire: La Danse Macabre (The Dance of Death), in Les Fleurs du Mal (The Flowers of Evil)

Frankly, attempting to settle scientific issues with poetry and calling the other side "crusaders" makes me worry about what science writing has become. Probably the trend started a while ago and I'm only noticing now.

Reply #504
They're mathematicians, ersi! :) (Ah! Yes: "crusaders" -for LESs (that's Limited English Speakers…) the word means only one thing. Just like "illegal aliens" has become a verboten term in California because so many Mexicans here only know the term from the Ridley Scott/Sigourney Weaver movie Alien! It seems they don't like being called "little green men" either…)
Please move over to the other thread.
Probably the trend started a while ago and I'm only noticing now.
Or stay here, and explain how you can be so oblivious… :)
进行 ...

Reply #505

They're mathematicians, ersi! :)

This explains the poem?

Ah! Yes: "crusaders" -for LESs (that's Limited English Speakers…) the word means only one thing.

They are French, if I'm reading right, so the word means the same to them as to me. It does not have the American evangelical aspect as in "prayer crusade" or whatever your megachurches do.

As to "illegal aliens", we always called them "immigrants". Though more lately they are "refugees". Less obfuscation.

Reply #506
They are French, if I'm reading right, so the word means the same to them as to me.
I suspect they were educated differently, and better. Your presumption is quite parochial! :)
进行 ...

Reply #507
This explains the poem?

That's a satire for the well known French tendency for quoting their poets at scientific works. More than just French it's a Latin characteristic to show that our scientists are also cult people unlike their Saxon and American fellows. :)
As I said, the article is a joke about climate change denialists as well as to the adulation for the Académie des Sciences.

Course Oakdale couldn't ever understand he's quoting a satire.
That's what happens to Saxon pseudo intelectuals when they finally find true ones, they turn instantaneously ridiculous.
:lol:
A matter of attitude.

Reply #508
Course Oakdale couldn't ever understand he's quoting a satire.
I linked to the white paper, which I've read… :) More, apparently, than you've done!
Bernard Beauzamy does indeed have a sense of humor! And expertise that makes his opinions interesting and, perhaps, important. No?
—————————————————————
Another "foreign" paper says:
[Because of the above bias errors] the hypothesis of dangerous global warming caused by human activity has not been substantiated by evidential science.
Thus a contrary claim of human activity being a causal factor for dangerous global warming must necessarily be an incorrect statement.
It follows, that the case for the costs involved to mitigate CO2 emissions is without
foundation and the resources required should be made available to sectors of the economy in need of urgent attention.
(source)
Is this, also, a spoof? A satire? Or, Belfrager, the inevitable Anglo-Saxon failure — to be as sophisticated as, say, the PIGS? :)
进行 ...

Reply #509
@ersi: You've said "For me only the ecological quality matters." Does that include the current human inhabitants of this planet? Or only those you think should matter…?

Again I ask: Is a world-wide governmental authority required to reasonably deal with your environmental concerns?

(Will you run and hide, like some others have done… :) It's a hard question, I know!)
进行 ...

Reply #510

@ersi: You've said "For me only the ecological quality matters." Does that include the current human inhabitants of this planet? Or only those you think should matter…?

Again I ask: Is a world-wide governmental authority required to reasonably deal with your environmental concerns?

(Will you run and hide, like some others have done… :) It's a hard question, I know!)

Not hard questions at all. Just stupid questions. You have these questions, because you think that people who are not as pro-corporate as you are must be disingenuous. Different from you, I have no concern for American economic and military supremacy.

Of course ecological quality includes people. Only people understand the term "ecological quality" with intellect. Animals understand it in their skin and intestines.

Ecological quality means anti-corporate, anti-industrial, and anti-urban, inasmuch as industries and cities are anti-ecological. Besides, corporate industries are a kind of government. They are the worst kind of government because they dictate people's lifestyle, how to work, what to work on, what to eat, what to earn, and deviation from this is disallowed by cutting the flow of resources. Corporations have monopoly on everything.

Corporations are totalitarian undemocratic governments. This should give you an answer about the "world-wide governmental authority" too if you had reading comprehension. But I'm not counting on this.

Reply #511
Only people understand the term "ecological quality" with intellect. Animals understand it in their skin and intestines.

That's an interesting thought. Even plants do it in the same sense animals do.
I believe the mineral kingdom to be the only one to be immune.

Course I'm not insinuating Oakdale to be intelectually like a rock... :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #512
Ecological quality means anti-corporate, anti-industrial, and anti-urban, inasmuch as industries and cities are anti-ecological.
:) You're worse than a Luddite! Why your ancestors bothered coming down from the trees, I don't know…
Still, you're welcome to live as you please. And to preach your ways to others.

But is that enough for you?
进行 ...

Reply #513
Heavens, OakdaleFTL. An ex-colonists who knows about the Luddites? Very encouraging so keep it up boy!  :o
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #514
Does that include the current human inhabitants of this planet?

That silliness is symptomatic of the old nature vs humans mentality. The Right doesn't get it. If we wreck havoc on the planet, we do to ourselves. Poison the rivers, we poison ourselves. Find a small hole in the AGW theory and us that as a excuse to continue dumping this much CO2 into the atmosphere, and we invite Drought and its friend Famine. Some Righties say the agricultural centers northward and so that would be fine. But Siberia and other northern latitudes are less fertile than our current agricultural areas. Further, do we really want to be dependent on food imports from Russia?  That's not to mention very costly coastal flooding in the world's financial centers such as NYC (that will be great for the economy, won't it?) How any billions will it cost to pump the water out of there, keeping in mind NYC is more than twenty times the size of New Orleans?

I can't help be notice that you brought zero science to this discussion. You claim models are wrong. Meanwhile other models are pretty damn close and ocean temperature seem to have this tendency to understate the heat there. What models are wrong? Oh, the IPCC ? That tells us nothing. Which ones from them, or do you even know?

Reply #515
Find a small hole in the AGW theory and us[e] that as a excuse to continue dumping this much CO2 into the atmosphere, and we invite Drought and its friend Famine.
Even if the theory is wrong, and atmospheric (and oceanic…) CO2 levels are not important drivers of the world's climate? :)
That's not to mention very costly coastal flooding in the world's financial centers such as NYC (that will be great for the economy, won't it?) How any billions will it cost to pump the water out of there, keeping in mind NYC is more than twenty times the size of New Orleans?
What evidence is there, that sea levels are rising "alarmingly" — specially as a result of Man's contribution to the atmosphere/ocean's CO2 levels? :)

You claim models are wrong. Meanwhile other models are pretty damn close and ocean temperature seem to have this tendency to understate the heat there. What models are wrong? Oh, the IPCC ? That tells us nothing. Which ones from them, or do you even know?
(emphasis added)
Which other models are "pretty damn close"? And why -if its so- does the ocean temperature have a "tendency" to understate its heat? (Shouldn't that have an explanation in terms of physics, and be -if its an important factor- represented in the models?) The last I heard, the IPCC relied on some 28 models… And they've taken in recent years to talking about "ensembles"; which is to say, none of them is actually reliable! And a scatter-shot modeling of the climate seems somewhat lame, does it not? :) (Why would anyone expect the average of however many wrong models to yield correct predictions? And, without correct predictions, of what use are the models? And how do they fit into what I assume we both think of as science?)
If the major driver(s) of "the climate" are wrongly attributed by the models used by the IPCC, what sense does it make to take what might be considered drastic actions to control such?
(The IPCC is, after all, a United Nations organization…)
…Unless there are other reasons for those "drastic actions"? :) (Might the UN have "unpure" motives? :) )
I can't help [but] notice that you brought zero science to this discussion.
Zero science? You mean, I haven't cited Michael Mann, et al, repeatedly? That's true!
I take it, you think Keeling's 2000 paper the work of a dolt? :) That's interesting…
(But don't feel too bad: I get the impression ersi feels the same way, about Lindzen and the Montreal Protocol… :) )
That silliness is symptomatic of the old nature vs humans mentality. The Right doesn't get it. If we wreck havoc on the planet, we do [it] to ourselves.
If we wreak havoc on industrial economies —to combat imaginary problems— we certainly do it to ourselves… Why would we, I'd ask.
If you think long and hard, you'll likely find an answer. There may not be one, and there may not be a "conspiracy" — but surely sociology and psychology together can explain what went wrong…
(I jest, of course!)
进行 ...

Reply #516
What evidence is there, that sea levels are rising "alarmingly" — specially as a result of Man's contribution to the atmosphere/ocean's CO2 levels?  :)

Where's your science? Put up or shut up.
Which other models are "pretty damn close"? And why -if its so- does the ocean temperature have a "tendency" to understate its heat?

Dear God, did you take any science. At all? Rhetorical question, it would have been a requirement to graduate high school. However, the very fact that you asked that silly question does betray a lack of science education. Your education comes from blogs and articles they linked to, but you have no grounding in the fundamentals.  In addition, you suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect. Badly. 

Oh and reducing emission has nothing to with wrecking havoc on industrialized economies. That's crap for simpletons in the GOP base. Cap and Trade (like "Obamacare" ) is a market-based idea originating with Republicans, before the party collectively lost its mind. Meanwhile, men like Musk are building the future. Let me provide an example of reduced emissions and improved performance to show it can and is often done.

Here's an example. People used to think fuel economy and reduced emissions where the enemy of horsepower in a car engine. All that changed when with now commonplace technologies such as multi-valve engines multiport fuel injection, etc.  The automakers first successfully make these technologies widespread made billions and thereby improved their nations economy. In the US market, that was Japanese. Meanwhile US automakers where still relying on antiquated OHV engines and where losing marketshare (and therefore direct good paying jobs at their plants and jobs at the suppliers plants.) I do apologize for inconvenience of using a real world example of what happens when you continue to use old, higher emissions technologies however instead of poor rhetoric and party talking points. :p

Higher levels of technology to reduce emissions (and again increase efficiency in no way amounts to loss of economic competitiveness. Dragging our feet does. Does this mean I support heavy handed regulation? Of course not. But I do caution against such reliance on fossils fuels and other old, inefficient fuel sources and also seem to be playing a hand adversely impacting the climate and creating pollution (which taxpayers wind up footing the bill to clean up, such is the case with Superfund sites.)  Some regulation now to avoid more Draconian measures and higher costs in future is advisable, however.

Reply #517
What evidence is there, that sea levels are rising "alarmingly" — specially as a result of Man's contribution to the atmosphere/ocean's CO2 levels?  :)

You might not want to say that too loud when you're in the vicinity of a resident of e.g. the most vulnerable European countries like the Netherlands and Belgium — or someone from around New Orleans.[1] :)

[1] NB We've got the money and know-how to implement whatever successor the Delta Works may need, as does America. It's countries like Myanmar that are at risk in a similar way but without the means to counteract the problem.
And why -if its so- does the ocean temperature have a "tendency" to understate its heat?

Where does it have this tendency? A little village in Gaulbit of ocean south of Greenland?

But I do caution against such reliance on fossils fuels and other old, inefficient fuel sources and also seem to be playing a hand adversely impacting the climate and creating pollution (which taxpayers wind up footing the bill to clean up, such is the case with Superfund sites.)  Some regulation now to avoid more Draconian measures and higher costs in future is advisable, however.

Quite true, and that's not even including e.g. the costs that would be associated with people relocating. If you think a bit of war in Syria makes for a nice refugee crisis, try worldwide flooding and desertification.

Reply #518

You might not want to say that too loud when you're in the vicinity of a resident of e.g. the most vulnerable European countries like the Netherlands and Belgium — or someone from around New Orleans.[1] :)

[1] NB We've got the money and know-how to implement whatever successor the Delta Works may need, as does America. It's countries like Myanmar that are at risk in a similar way but without the means to counteract the problem.

Yeah, but where's the evidence that this is due to human causes, that it's alarming, and that it's global? And if the models didn't predict this, then there's no evidence that it's happening in the first place!

Reply #519
Btw, here is a map of the European areas most vulnerable to the rising sea level. It's almost as if someone drew a map of my home turf, some of my favorite areas in Italy, and some places in Normandy I'd probably like to visit someday. It's perhaps a little more personal than to someone from Paris or Berlin, although I'd be inclined to think that over in Central and Eastern Europe the summers and winters are harsh enough already.

A similar albeit somewhat cruder picture for the United States can be found here. The entire Mississippi and Louisiana coast line seems to be under similar threat as the Benelux area, while one doubts if the local government is prepared to undertake the necessary investments in coastal defense infrastructure.

Yeah, but where's the evidence that this is due to human causes, that it's alarming, and that it's global? And if the models didn't predict this, then there's no evidence that it's happening in the first place!

Human CO2 emissions are probably a fairly small fish, but it's the one we most directly control and it's the push that starts the ball rolling. The real worry obviously isn't the fairly small (but not non-existent) amount of damage caused by our CO2 emissions, but the release of all kinds of gases trapped in polar and tundra ice that would thus be facilitated. But to deny that CO2 plays a role feels a bit like holding your finger next to someone's face, calling "look over here!" and then saying you didn't poke the person in the face because you merely kept your finger stationary in that particular area.

Reply #520
but the release of all kinds of gases trapped in polar and tundra ice that would thus be facilitated.

That's correct. Specifically the concern is methane hydrates, which are already releasing the gas into our atmosphere. Historically, global environmental disasters (ie mass extinctions)  don't just have one cause, but one thing starts a chain reaction. Even the asteroid or comet that wiped out the dinosaurs didn't achieve this on its own. It set off a chain reaction. 

Reply #521

Human CO2 emissions are probably a fairly small fish, but it's the one we most directly control and it's the push that starts the ball rolling. The real worry obviously isn't the fairly small (but not non-existent) amount of damage caused by our CO2 emissions, but the release of all kinds of gases trapped in polar and tundra ice that would thus be facilitated.

I agree with you that "to start the ball rolling" we have to start somewhere, but I'm not sure we are dealing with a "ball" here. If I were to suggest the policies, then instead of controlling the emissions, I would directly go after the cause of emissions and ban fossil fuels and plastic, forcing industries rapidly to come up with alternatives. Industries do not invent things unless (1) it's extremely lucrative or (2) they have to. This is not a ball that would start rolling unless policy-makers ensure the course of development.

Emissions are just thin air and hard to measure, which is one of the several points where IPCC approach is flawed. However, if we are to measure emissions, then CO2 is the wrongest measure - it's part of the life cycle, not an industrial emission. The right measure would be the soup of compounds that comes out of all sorts of pipes and causes acid rains, smog, and poisons water.

Good cause, but hardly anything about it is being done right. This only foments skepticism. Nowadays you can be a climate skeptic, i.e. skeptical about climate, and think you are onto something clever.

Reply #522
ban fossil fuels and plastic

it sounds like a pipedream .

you see,  sir ...

why still there are many fuel and plastic suppliers .
it is because people demanding them .

when there is demands there  is also suppliers .

stop consuming  them at once , then suppliers also aint sell them anymore .

Reply #523
I agree with you that "to start the ball rolling" we have to start somewhere, but I'm not sure we are dealing with a "ball" here. If I were to suggest the policies, then instead of controlling the emissions, I would directly go after the cause of emissions and ban fossil fuels and plastic, forcing industries rapidly to come up with alternatives.

I meant the ball that gets the real problems rolling, not the solution. As far as solutions go, the cap and trade system for NO2 worked very well. I also think that improved technology will increasingly offer bits and pieces of the solution in a very capitalist manner. Solar panels have become so cost-efficient that they quite subsidizing them. The Uber of the future won't need drivers. I hope to be able to avoid buying a car until that moment comes. For the moment, the Cambio "now and then" shared car system suits me very well for the occasional shopping that's easier to do using an automobile. Partially it's a degree of environmental consciousness, but let's be honest: I've got as much car as I want and need for no more than a few hundred a year. Last month's car bill? € 10,90.

Reply #524

As far as solutions go, the cap and trade system for NO2 worked very well.

Good to hear. But that's about it. I don't think industry and society in general have moved one bit away from rampant consumerism.

I also think that improved technology will increasingly offer bits and pieces of the solution in a very capitalist manner. Solar panels have become so cost-efficient that they quite subsidizing them. The Uber of the future won't need drivers. I hope to be able to avoid buying a car until that moment comes. For the moment, the Cambio "now and then" shared car system suits me very well for the occasional shopping that's easier to do using an automobile. Partially it's a degree of environmental consciousness, but let's be honest: I've got as much car as I want and need for no more than a few hundred a year. Last month's car bill? € 10,90.

Great, but so-called solutions like this only work in cities, which are themselves the problem. Modern cities rob resources and push trash all over the globe out of sight of the city people, so they have absolutely no idea what they are doing. The best you can do is to read the labels on your food and clothes, but everybody reads the price labels anyway, always has, and always behaves accordingly.

The proper solution is to make life in the countryside economically self-sufficient once again, so that it would be worth while to live there. People should be able to locally produce everything they need, grow their own food on the spot, build houses by themselves without needing to drive far away on a piece of foreign equipment to buy more pieces of foreign equipment. Local production and processing of everything as far as possible is the way of restoring ecological consciousness, so that wherever you look, you see things in terms of ecology, you know by what natural processes the thing arised, how it can be practically used, and what happens to it when disposed a given way.

Only people with this kind of ecological awareness will carry the humanity further after the catastrophe. The wider the dissemination of this awareness, the greater the group of survivors. To avoid the catastrophe, the capitalist idea of efficiency (i.e. efficiency in terms of monetary profit) and riding on ever-increasing demand (consumption) need to be removed from economy, but everybody knows this will never happen.