Skip to main content
Topic: The Worldwide Politics Thread (Read 24870 times)

The Worldwide Politics Thread

Post any political news, developments, etc, here; feel free to grouse and grumble about your local politicians, expound at great length what really grinds your gears about politicians or their actions, or alternatively, praise a politician, here.

Re: The Worldwide Politics Thread

Reply #1
You know what really grinds my gears? The politics of the state of Mississippi.
We have a Senator for D.C. that has been in office since 1978, and is contemplating retirement, but has not indicated he will retire yet.

The guy running against him? A Teabagger that is masterful in the art of speech, giving great speeches at length, with no substance in them whatsoever. It would rustle his jimmies to read this, but he's like Obama in that regard.

Reply #2
The guy running against him? A Teabagger […]
Why not name names? :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #3

masterful in the art of speech, giving great speeches at length, with no substance in them whatsoever. It would rustle his jimmies to read this, but he's like Obama in that regard.
That seems to be how Washington is trending.

Unfortunately, we still need effective government. Some argue we don't. Do we want to end up like Somali?

Reply #4

We have a Senator for D.C. that has been in office since 1978, and is contemplating retirement, but has not indicated he will retire yet.

The guy running against him? A Teabagger that is masterful in the art of speech, giving great speeches at length, with no substance in them whatsoever. It would rustle his jimmies to read this, but he's like Obama in that regard.
You don't have politics in Mississippi, you have religion in another form.  ;D

Reply #5

*shudders at the thought*

Reply #6
One thing I dislike intensely is politicians claiming that their country is better than any other. British police are the best in the world, French cheeses are the best, America is the land of the free, Russia is the gayest place on Earth and so on.

Why everyone knows that Wessex is the best ...error... (overload on word limitation) .....

Reply #8
Colonel Rebel needs to explain Mississippi and Teabagger to our foreign members. This should help a bit as a starter.

Er...what are morans?

Reply #10
She is a blonde after all. Apparent everybody there thought it was ok...given the issues on her sign, she and her friends are Republicans. Nuff said?

Reply #11

Colonel Rebel needs to explain Mississippi and Teabagger to our foreign members. This should help a bit as a starter.

Er...what are morans?

For a brief, TL;DR it is basically fundamentalist Christians trying to impose a theocracy on this state.
Teabagger in a more national sense is the group of disgruntled Repubs who felt Bush did not and was not Conservative enough in all of his policies.

@String: What you did there, I see it. lol  :) 

Reply #12
Speaking of Russia, this is Putin personally making sure that the showers in Sochi are working properly. The Winter Olympics are that important!

Reply #13
Today's "You know what really grinds my gears?" segment focuses on the UK's PM, David Cameron.

Per my interest in the UK politics (having studied them at Liverpool Hope), I note that the afore-mentioned jackarse is royally mucking-up the Scottish Independence query. He's a walking advert for Independence for Scotland. Best think he could do for continued unity is to shut his damned mouth.

It is really of no concern of mine, not being a citizen of the UK, but I'd hate to see the split-up of a union that has worked well for decades.

Reply #14
So you're saying that for the first 250 years or so since 1707 the union didn't work well? :P

Reply #15

Speaking of Russia, this is Putin personally making sure that the showers in Sochi are working properly. The Winter Olympics are that important!

If Jimbro were Putin

Reply #16
Once again jimbro's media influenced paranoia about Russia/Putin. wouldn't be so bad if the Michiganian lived in a nation with big principles but get the microscope out folks! Once Putin sends in fleets of drones killing the innocents, catches up on the military bill of the ex-colonies, has trillions of debt, his marines storming along with the Air Force in murdering families time after time then I will give him credence.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #18

Frans, where's the ADVANCED quote tool? I liked it! I used it! It allowed mes us to easily make multiple quoting! :irked:
This might be too advanced. To do multiple quotes, I have gotten used to by now to > quote > select all text > save to a file > back to browser > quote another > select all text > add to the file > repeat the above steps as necessary > edit-compose-conduct the file > select all text in the file > back to browser > publish

Looks and sounds advanced? It's because it is. My fav browser has no js.

Reply #20
Wow!
This /quote/ PARTIALLY exists (and partially doesn't) in this one and the same thread! What's the glitch!? ???

BernG deleted his account, so his username was slightly different than that of the rest of us. I fixed the problem.

Reply #21

Wow!
This /quote/ PARTIALLY exists (and partially doesn't) in this one and the same thread! What's the glitch!? ???

BernG deleted his account, so his username was slightly different than that of the rest of us. I fixed the problem.

Interesting; figured he would stick around with us, but such is life.

I highly doubt that Vivaldi crap works out anyhow. Their lot aren't nearly as dedicated/loyal as ours.
(Hell, all of D&D's regulars are here, save Pesala, another Opera purist.)

Reply #22
Back to WW Politics. I know next to nothing about this kerfuffle and the tug of war between Russia and the EU. Any opinions on whether such matters presage a return to the old cold war problems? I know it's a new era in international politics, but this stuff bothers me.

Russian leaders Wednesday repeated previous assurances that they will not intervene in Ukraine. But experts say the Kremlin is using all its leverage behind the scenes to convince Ukrainian authorities to forcibly restore order, and may be rethinking its options if beleaguered President Viktor Yanukovych loses power to his outspokenly anti-Russian opponents amid an increasingly violent standoff in downtown Kiev.

Experts say a late-night telephone conversation Tuesday between Russian President Vladimir Putin and Mr. Yanukovych presumably focused on the deteriorating situation and that Mr. Putin's advice isn't hard to guess at.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2014/0219/Is-Putin-pushing-for-a-crackdown-in-Ukraine

Reply #23

Back to WW Politics. I know next to nothing about this kerfuffle and the tug of war between Russia and the EU.

Russia and the EU? I'm afraid you missed to name the third player, for whatever reasons.

Any opinions on whether such matters presage a return to the old cold war problems?

Return to the cold war?
The cold war never ended in in some people's mind. Neither did the prospect of world domination.

I know it's a new era in international politics, but this stuff bothers me.

It should bother all of us.

Déjà vu
This article was written in 2010: Ukraine Geopolitics and the US-NATO Military Agenda

Furthermore
What West Wants from Ukraine?