Skip to main content

Poll

Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to own, carry, & use Firearms to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends?

Absolutely Yes!
I thinks so.
I don't think so.
Definitely No!
My name isn't String, so let me have a icy cold beer so I can ponder the options...
Topic: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms? (Read 335246 times)

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #1000
So many amendments.

Is nothing sacred!

rjh what is a "nmsets"? It sounds like a glorious insult, unpronounceable South, East, West but not North of the Border.

Reply #1001

So many amendments.

Is nothing sacred!

The Amendments (the first 10 anyway) make the United States Constitution  [glow=blue,2,300]"SACRED" [/glow] to the American People.

You see, unlike 90+% of all other governments worldwide, governments that rule over their citizens, the United States Government is [glow=green,2,300]"of the People, by the People, & for the People". [/glow]The power & right to govern comes directly from the People, & is subject to their approval.

The first 10 Amendments are known as the Bill of Rights, which specifies specific control over American government  --  what the American government can, can't, or must do.

On September 25, 1789, Congress transmitted to the state Legislatures twelve proposed amendments to the Constitution. Numbers three through twelve were adopted by the states to become the United States (U.S.) Bill of Rights, effective December 15, 1791.

James Madison proposed the U.S. Bill of Rights. It largely responded to the Constitution's influential opponents, including prominent Founding Fathers, who argued that the Constitution should not be ratified because it failed to protect the basic principles of human liberty. The U.S. Bill of Rights was influenced by George Mason's 1776 Virginia Declaration of Rights, the 1689 English Bill of Rights, works of the Age of Enlightenment pertaining to natural rights, and earlier English political documents such as the Magna Carta (1215).

Two additional articles were proposed to the States; only the final ten articles were ratified quickly and correspond to the First through Tenth Amendments to the Constitution. The first Article, dealing with the number and apportionment of U.S. Representatives, never became part of the Constitution. The second Article, limiting the ability of Congress to increase the salaries of its members, was ratified two centuries later as the 27th Amendment. Though they are incorporated into the document known as the "Bill of Rights", neither article establishes a right as that term is used today. For that reason, and also because the term had been applied to the first ten amendments long before the 27th Amendment was ratified, the term "Bill of Rights" in modern U.S. usage means only the ten amendments ratified in 1791.

The United States Bill of Rights plays a central role in American law and government, and remains a fundamental symbol of the freedoms and culture of the nation. One of the original fourteen copies of the U.S. Bill of Rights is on public display at the National Archives in Washington, D.C.

Amendment I (1): Freedom of religion, speech, and the press; rights of assembly and petition
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II (2): Right to bear arms
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment III (3): Housing of soldiers
No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Amendment IV (4): Search and arrest warrants
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment V (5): Rights in criminal cases
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb, nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use without just compensation.

Amendment VI (6): Rights to a fair trial
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed; which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defence.

Amendment VII (7): Rights in civil cases
In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Amendment VIII ( 8 ): Bails, fines, and punishments
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Amendment IX (9): Rights retained by the people
The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment X (10): Powers retained by the states and the people
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Reply #1002
I suggest you keep your simple=minded psycho analysis to yourself, plus your insults and try to bottle up your nasty streak.

You don't have a clue about 'nasty' either.  But that's okay, most people don't...thank goodness.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #1003

The Amendments (the first 10 anyway) make the United States Constitution  [glow=blue,2,300]"SACRED" [/glow] to the American People.

You see, unlike 90+% of all other governments worldwide, governments that rule over their citizens, the United States Government is [glow=green,2,300]"of the People, by the People, & for the People". [/glow]

It seems a general rule that people's enthusiasm for making blanket statements about other places is directly proportional to the depth of their ignorance of said places.

Reply #1004
Nastiness comes to the fore, James.

Reply #1005

Maybe that's you been taught in kiddie school.

I've given examples where reality does not match your beliefs. We have politicians, prosecutors and LEO routinely and creatively reinterpret the Bill of Rights for their benefit.

As for it being sacred to the American public? Everyone mouths that but the reality is most people don't give a damn when there are violations, when there are exceptions made to the Bill of Rights.

Asset forfeitures? The public doesn't care.

Being held for a year or more for trial? The usual response is "so, what, its them not us, they're probably guilty anyway."

Excessive bail? No problem. We have to make sure "those people don't get out."

Denying a trial by jury which can convict someone, give them a criminal record and put them a jail for a year? Its so routine for misdemeanors that its not even thought about by the public. Its a given.

Reply #1006

I suggest you keep your simple=minded psycho analysis to yourself, plus your insults and try to bottle up your nasty streak.

You don't have a clue about 'nasty' either.  But that's okay, most people don't...thank goodness.   :knight:  :cheers:

The problem is that in so many posts, nasty is about the only "language" you seem to communicate in.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #1007
It is a universal language if there ever was one.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #1008
Perhaps shamefully I like to indulge but diversifying your approach has its advantages.

The moderators are being nice... Doesn't hurt to try, right?  

Reply #1009
I finally found a photo of Smileyfaze.

Reply #1010
And he is only carrying one gun?! Ha-ha must have been an off day for him!  :lol:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #1011
See, Howie? This is why many of us consider you a Liberal: This is the level of argument you're most comfortable with… It's in your DNA.
BTW, RJ: The fellow is not carrying that gun; he's modeling it — probably for guys who'd already pissed themselves before the snap was shot! :)
He's a salesman!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #1012
You are just proving your country isn't a proper democracy adding daft labels on me. You lot are childishly gun mad and small wonder you are a violent place where police need to be like solders!

Reply #1013
Do you really think I'm representative of my countrymen, RJ? (I certainly don't think you are of yours…) I suspect you're wrong, then.
Nor is Smiley or Jimbro (…to mention but a few we are both familiar with). But mjm may well be: He's intelligent enough, sensible enough, and -unless there's a lot of fun in it- intolerant of bullshit.

Only labels that include daftness would be anywhere near accurate… (I have a small set of labels that I apply to you regularly! But they can't be posted — forum rules, ya know? :) )
进行 ...

Reply #1014
Intolerant of that keech? no he isn't. And you and Smiley are well represented over there in nutjobland. You are unable to face the in your face terrible things which would give you more credit. And by jingo the country would be a lot better off if there actually were more jimbros about than you two!  When you can't deal with direct things you wander off. Small wonder the place is run by the money barons you shoot each other in droves, are spied on by all those expensive government agencies, police like commandos and tens of millions of starving and poor. The love affair with guns is so childish, immature and ridiculous and excuses made for it which lets the rest of us shake our heads at the daftness of it all. Last month was my birthday and since the previous one another 10,000 gunned down in the land of gun gormless headbangers. Instead of growing up from the days of the cowboy and guns you misused that as a tradition having nothing else to fall back on and just look what that has done. And for all the emotional rubbish about rights it does not make a damn difference to the statistics!  :hat:

Reply #1015
Yet our murder rate is not so bad. (For some reason, you think being shot is the worst way to go… Did your cap pistol scare you, boy-o?!) And people from all over the world still want to come here. Are they, perhaps, smarter than you? Braver?
Who knows…
If your telly could speak, what would it tell us about you? :) (I know what it tells you about us, but there's no way I can counteract the stupidity that accepts such. You're too old to learn better.)

You don't seem to know people at all, RJ. That's quite sad, considering…
进行 ...

Reply #1016
All nation bashing is silly and wrongheaded, That said, Canada is an asshat country.

Reply #1017
The Human Right to Self-Defense seems to have hit an all-time low across the pond in Jolly Ole Englund & points there abouts.

It seems that over there they'd rather protect criminals over the rights of their law-abiding defenseless citizens.....

[glow=black,2,300]UK police tell women not to harm their attackers,
get a rape alarm
[/glow]

Quote from:     From both   THE JIHAD WATCH   &  THE NRA - ILA         

The latest dispatch from the United Kingdom’s ongoing campaign to eliminate all forms of armed self-defense seems too incredible to be true. Unfortunately, after tracking down the origin of a publicly distributed statement regarding self-defense products on the country’s “Ask the Police” website, we can confirm that British subjects continue to live at the mercy of their potential attackers.  Even to the point of baffling absurdity.

The statement appears in the Frequently Asked Questions section of www.askthe.police.uk – a site that is operated by the Police National Legal Database.   Information provided by the PNLD and its site are used by local police constabularies to help inform the public.

The question at issue asks, “Are there any legal self defence products that I can buy?” Succinctly epitomizing the sad state of natural rights in Great Britain, the first sentence states, “The only fully legal self defence product at the moment is a rape alarm.”

And to add even more insult to human dignity, the statement cautions subjects against the use of nearly any other type of defense product, and reads like an appeal for victims to graciously suffer criminal violence. The answer makes clear “You must not get a product which is made or adapted to cause a person injury. Possession of such a product in public (and in private in specific circumstances) is against the law.”  So even in the sanctity of one’s home, the statement seems to suggest that care for violent offenders outweighs the rights of potential victims to be safe and secure against attack.

The statement then addresses the legality of inert dye sprays that merely mark one’s attacker for later identification; in contrast to self-defense sprays like mace or pepper spray that inflict pain in order to halt an attack. The site is so concerned with the well-being of violent criminals, that in the context of dye sprays, it states,“be aware that even a seemingly safe product, deliberately aimed and sprayed in someone's eyes, would become an offensive weapon because it would be used in a way that was intended to cause injury.”

Whether it’s this detestable advice, police warning a woman not to display a knife in order to ward off intruders, warrantless firearm storage inspections, or desperate subjects being forced to defend their lives and property with cricket and baseball bats during riots, the UK government appears intent on wiping out any remaining vestiges of the traditional right to self-defense. We’d like to say that we won’t allow ourselves to be shocked by the next ludicrous episode from across the pond, but history shows they’ll somehow manage to astound.

Women told "Don't harm their attackers", are you freekin kiddin' me!!??

Geeeeez ,,,,,,, I guess rape over there must be a pleasant experience compared to everywhere else, a cut above cricket, rounders, badminton, & tiddlywinks?

Pssssst .......... Rumor has it that the UK men are all hung like stud field mice,             

So the women must just giggle themselves silly when a drunk one falls on them lookin' for a pickle tickle.

No wonder the Africans do so well with the womenfolk over that-a-ways.

Reply #1018
Errrrr------ahhhhhhhhh----- RJ, seems like the post Smiley put up wants some 'splainin', Personally, if I have a choice between being able to defend myself in some way. OR being told to just let my attacker do whatever and maybe I can blow a whistle--- guess which way I'm voting on this.

OF course, it may be that the UK has "bobbies" on every street corner so if you blow a whistle an unarmed policeman can respond and watch the rape/robbery/whatever take place while he calls for backup. Around here, I could blow a whistle until the Second Coming and it's doubtful anybody would do a damn thing. The nearest policeman is at the Dunkin' Donuts, and unless the criminal does his thing at the counter of the aforementioned sugary-sweet establishment I doubt blowing a whistle would do much good.
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #1020

OF course, it may be that the UK has "bobbies" on every street corner . . .

Actually, it's more like we don't have armed rapists on every corner. 

Ah, but she should treat every rapist as if they were armed, armed with the intense hatred of her, & what she feels, & thinks of. He wants to kill her resistance, but he does want her to fight his advances, just that he wants her to eventually give in.

Now, a woman who understands that she has a Natural Right (not one bestowed upon her by any government, Lord, or Queen) she has a Natural Right to defend herself, especially if she believes her attacker might wish to take away everything that makes her what she is, including her very life.

No reasonable weapon (one that can easily be used by her) should be taken from her defensive options, including a firearm (example:my personal preference for concealed carry, the Beretta PX4 Sub-Compact).

So, she could have a whistle, a loud personal alarm, & a firearm.

If she feels/ believes her attacker might wish to take away everything that makes her what she is, including her very life, she should be able to choose which she wishes to use. The choice should be solely hers & not depend on what government thinks or doesn't think is or might be appropriate.

That's what is called taking full & total responsibility for your own life & well being.

The police can't protect her, that is unless by law every citizen is provided one as their personal bodyguard that never leaves her side.

The government, no matter how many laws they write, the government can't protect her.

She needs to be able to take full & total responsibility for her own life & well being.

If she chooses to blow her whistle....so be it, it would be her choice.

If she chooses to set off her personal alarm.....so be it, it would be her choice.

And, as you patiently were waiting for, if she chooses to pull her PX4 from where she keeps it, & fires 6 to 10 shots into his center mass.......so be it, that should also be her choice.

If I had trained her in the use of her firearm, & her personal self-defense, I would have strongly suggested in her instruction to ignore all other means except her PX4 if it was readily available, & she felt using it would be her best chance for survival. 

When the police eventually arrive, they most probably wouldn't have her body to draw a chalk line around, but there would be a high likelihood that they might just have one lifeless rapist to scoop up & dispose of.

One Ex-Rapist that would never rape again.

Reply #1021
Actually, it's more like we don't have armed rapists on every corner.   :cheers:
Oh, they have to be armed? How many corners are there in Rotherham? :( Lots to be cut, by cops and politicians, it seems…
进行 ...

Reply #1022
String, I have bad news for you. "Armed" doesn't have to be with a gun. Your rapist could--probably does-- have a knife. Glasgow is crazy with knives, last I heard. Gangs who can't get guns do the next best thing and get knives. Failing that-- the rapist may have been drinking earlier and has a bottle--- which he breaks to use as a weapon. Ever been threatened by a thug with a broken bottle? Believe me, a young woman has a lot to lose when she's threatened by the thought of getting carved up like a Christmas turkey if she doesn't comply.

So---- don't even try to tell me that you don't have armed rapists. The stats say otherwise.

Reply #1023
Of course knives can be dangerous. I'll let you decide, Mjmsprt. Me? I'm going with the AK47.
vs.

Reply #1024

Of course knives can be dangerous. I'll let you decide, Mjmsprt. Me? I'm going with the AK47.
vs.

Will wonders never cease? Jimbro sounds almost like Smiley.

About the knife in the lower photo-- don't under-estimate it. If it's the weapon of choice it'll make a mess of the victim.