Skip to main content

Poll

Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to own, carry, & use Firearms to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends?

Absolutely Yes!
I thinks so.
I don't think so.
Definitely No!
My name isn't String, so let me have a icy cold beer so I can ponder the options...
Topic: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms? (Read 334969 times)

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #975
You won't be happy, RJ, until we're all senile — like you! :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #976

You won't be happy, RJ, until we're all senile — like you! :)

I see we're into very subjective territory here.

What was the subject again?

For some reason I'm reminded of a joke a British Soldier who was interviewed when he got back from Afghanistan - when asked about what went through his mind during a particularly nasty gunfire exchange with the Taliban, he said - "I dunno, I was just glad it wasn't a bullet!".

Reply #977
I see we're into very subjective territory here.

What was the subject again?

It's what we do here, and Mr. Howie is at it most of the time.
=================================
Have you ever heard of a technical bastard?

Here's an example:
"A bullet went through his mind!"

"No, a bullet can go through a brain but not through a mind. You see, .......... ."

Cuts him short....."You technical bastard!"

Reply #978
Is this the thread for picking apart string jokes?

Reply #979
1. You've stolen my avatar! Stop that.
2. A string walks into a bar with a few friends and orders a beer. The bartender says, "I'm sorry, but we don't serve strings here."

The string goes back to his table. He ties himself in a loop and messes up the top of his hair. He walks back up to the bar and orders a beer.

The bartender squints at him and says, "Hey, aren't you a string?"

The string says, "Nope, I'm a frayed knot."

Reply #980
Hey! That's not bad. I like it — no offense to string, of course…
进行 ...

Reply #981
. . .  thinks lovingly of a noose. . .

By the way, not many people know this, but my name really was string once.

Reply #982
It was knot!

Reply #983
Okay: I'm curious… :) What's the story?
进行 ...

Reply #984

For some reason I'm reminded of a joke a British Soldier who was interviewed when he got back from Afghanistan - when asked about what went through his mind during a particularly nasty gunfire exchange with the Taliban, he said - "I dunno, I was just glad it wasn't a bullet!".

You have not been in a serious physical fight against anything string, I can tell.  You are talking out of the top of your head.  Until you've been there...don't you even dare to try and speak of it intelligently--you sound a simpleton.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #985

Okay: I'm curious… :) What's the story?

Assuming that was to me --  well it's not a complicated story but it's true.

When I was a young boy I was tall and thin, and was nicknamed "string" for a while. It did not last long and it was in just one school.

I'm still tall, but not thin anymore regrettably.

When I came to choose a user name, I thought it an appropriate name to use (or as good as any other) because of its other meaning, within computer parlance, of a group (or string) of characters.

Reply #986

You have not been in a serious physical fight against anything string, I can tell.  You are talking out of the top of your head.  Until you've been there...don't you even dare to try and speak of it intelligently--you sound a simpleton.   :knight:  :cheers:

Well you certainly show something dark in your character. How you can make such a statement is beyond politeness into sheer nastiness, and all for no reason at all. If you were involved in the armed forces you must have been a very bad soldier, jumping to conclusions and going off half-cock; not the trait of anyone I'd like beside me.

What I wrote was indeed a joke but not by me. It was something said, as I wrote, by a soldier returning from Afghanistan. He was being interviewed on the BBC and it was his joke, modestly making light of the perilous situation he had been in while engaged in an extraordinary act of bravery.

I suggest you keep your simple=minded psycho analysis to yourself, plus your insults and try to bottle up your nasty streak.

Reply #987
Did somebody ring for the doctor?

Reply #988
This site doesn't have an "ignore" feature. More's the pity. Howsomever we DO have a  :troll: feature--- and I can think of one name I could put on it right quick. Strangely enough, it's not RJH.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #989
A picture is worth a thousand words........

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it....

Own a Gun...Learn how to use it...ensure your Freedom.........

Reply #990
Assuming  every American who was of Japanese ancestry had owned a gun, what should he (and she) have done with it?

Reply #991

Assuming  every American who was of Japanese ancestry had owned a gun, what should he (and she) have done with it?

Stood up for their rights, & told the government as citizens they refuse such treatment, which was against their Constitutional Rights.....read the Bill of Rights (the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution here).......as in the words of Patrick Henry "Give me Liberty, or give me Death"........it's an American Right & Tradition to challenge governmental authority over them at every turn, being all power emanates from the people down to the government hired & paid to serve them.

The Bill of Rights enumerates freedoms not explicitly indicated in the main body of the Constitution, such as freedom of religion, freedom of speech, a free press, and free assembly; the right to keep and bear arms; freedom from unreasonable search and seizure, security in personal effects, and freedom from warrants issued without probable cause; indictment by a grand jury for any capital or "infamous crime"; guarantee of a speedy, public trial with an impartial jury; and prohibition of double jeopardy. In addition, the Bill of Rights reserves for the people any rights not specifically mentioned in the Constitution and reserves all powers not specifically granted to the federal government to the people or the States.

Reply #992
What are you smoking, Smiley?

That would have produced many more dead Japs.

Reply #993

What are you smoking, Smiley?

That would have produced many more dead Japs.

Did the possibility of death deter our Founding Fathers, or the Patriots of Lexington & Concord?.......Nope, if captured they were all guaranteed death just for being Revolutionaries. Shot or hanged for treason.

One fights for one's Rights because its the correct thing to do,

If it might end in one's death shouldn't deter one from fighting if the cause is just.

I respect your pacifism Jaybro, that's a personal choice, but I believe there are things in our lives worth dying for,
& as Americans the top two are [glow=blue,2,300]  Freedom & Liberty  [/glow].........both were disgracefully denied to those American Citizens solely because of their Japanese ancestry.

Yes, they may have died, but they would have died protecting [glow=blue,2,300]    their American Right    to Freedom & Liberty! [/glow]

The [glow=blue,2,300]Second Amendment [/glow] enables us all to ensure our other Rights can be protected as well.

Reply #994
I went over to You-Tube and found this. The guy loads his shotgun with a ball-chain load. We're talking 18 inches of the type of chain you see on a table-lamp that has a chain for turning it on and off. Turns out that type of chain makes a particularly nasty load when it hits. See below:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1YwWd15A2g[/video]
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #995

I went over to You-Tube and found this. The guy loads his shotgun with a ball-chain load. We're talking 18 inches of the type of chain you see on a table-lamp that has a chain for turning it on and off. Turns out that type of chain makes a particularly nasty load when it hits.

I just tried that, with a grapefruit, & I will attest that to my surprise it work quite well - more devastating than I expected!

I'm going to try that with my .410 next.

Reply #996
When I was eleven years old I moved to Los Angeles where my school mates used to chant "Better dead than red." When I tried to understand what they meant they roughed me up in a less than friendly manner. Which was easy enough because I was the youngest and smallest kid in the school.
It was a dreadful place which was run and administered by a plethora of similar mindless slogans.

Reply #997
It was a dreadful place which was run and administered by a plethora of similar mindless slogans.

Amazing. It appears that we attended the same school even though they're 2,284 miles apart.

Reply #998
The Bill of Rights and the other stuff means sod all in practical life.

There is constant bickering over the Constitution what it is meant to mean and at the same time successive governments not only spy on their own people but harass them and make their lives a misery. The internal control, freakery nmsets in the CSA and others do more than occasionally ignore that Constitution when it suits them to the point of being a disgrace.  What tt92 suffered shows this to a wider extent and  anything that can be altered to look "red" is the norm and enough to make the SmileyFaze grey cell limit go bonkers. The word 'democracy' is a word used in the ex-colonies for a corrupted vein. Plenty of fine sounding words in the bit of paper but in hard practice a load of cobblers. 
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #999

The Bill of Rights and the other stuff means sod all in practical life.
I now tend to agree.

The first and second amendment are usually strongly followed because there are powerful groups who make sure they are. For the first it is the media and organized religion. For the second it is the NRA.

The exception to the first amendment is when individuals use the "wrong" speech during a heated moment of confrontation. If you have a fight with a minority and you use the wrong words during the fight then you may be charged with a hate crime, immensely increasing the criminal penalty. A creative way to get around the first amendment.

With the other amendments you are basically on your own. Often they are routinely violated. Even when the violators are found to have violated, usually being government LEO's, they are immunized against civil and criminal punishment.

The amendments are interpreted creatively or when there  is a blunt and direct violation the usual recourse is to go to the courts where it can take years to resolve for non high profile cases.

Amendment 4 is routinely violated in governmental asset forfeiture cases. They can grab your stuff for being a suspect, not having been found guilty of anything.

Amendment 6 provides for a speedy trial by jury. Try telling that to suspected criminals held in many localities. NYC comes to mind. There are several 100 held on Riker's Island for over two years awaiting trial. Some even wait for six years. I read an article on this where one person was held for two years for stealing a backpack before charges were dropped.

As for trial by jury, many states exclude jury trials when the charge is a misdemeanor. I live in NJ where the local magistrate can send you to the county jail for up to 1 year without a jury trial for a misdemeanor violation. NJ has more prisoners in county jails sentenced without jury trials than state jail prisoners who were sentenced by jury.

Amendment 8 prohibits excessive bail. Tell that to someone who has a million dollar bail or someone in Rikers Island waiting for over a year for a trial where the bail is unaffordable.

Amendment 10 states "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people." We know how well that works. Creative interpretation made a joke of this amendment.

An example are motor vehicle laws and regulations. States should set their own speed limits but creatively a national speed limit can be set though the denial of Federal highway and transportation funds.