Skip to main content
Topic: Anthropogenic Global Warming (Read 199171 times)

Re: Anthropogenic Global Warming

Reply #700
[it's] a matter of changing energetic paradigms. It's a matter of changing from a model based on finite and polluting resources that leads inexorably to higher and higher costs and an increasing fight for such resources to a model where energy is free but to the technology costs that decreases year after year. Limitless energy for all. Without polluting.
Nobody's stopping such marvelous advances in technology…
So: What are you arguing?
What part is so difficult to you to understand?
The part where you say anything other than Repent! (I'm sorry, but I don't subscribe to your "religion" of pseudo-environmentalism.)
————————————————————————————————————
BTW: About that meme that Big Oil finances "climate denialism": Briggs has a recent article:)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #701
Well mjsmsprt40 - just goes to show the contrasts!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #702
Nobody's stopping such marvelous advances in technology…
So: What are you arguing?

I'm arguing that your denialism of climate change it's entirely based in defending energetic policies based at controlling world energy supply by controlling oil.
Therefore being crucial to you to deny climate change as a direct consequence of human activity using hydrocarbons as the main energy source.

You simply don't care about destroying the entire planet if that maintains your country on top of the ruins..
You're wrong.

Even oil industry realized that. "Beyond Petrol" says BP advertisement... (They just will not lost profits until the last drop of oil.)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #703
You simply don't care about destroying the entire planet […]
When the hype surpasses the reality by such lengths, reason is a futile tactic: You'll believe what you will…
if that maintains your country on top of the ruins..
And attribute motives in like hyperbole.
进行 ...

Reply #704
Belfrager has long past the point of no return in this discussion. We're Americans, therefore we're evil and our every motive is bad all the time, according to him. Ho hum.

The fact is that it's just a wee bit harder than banning all fossil fuels by this time tomorrow and going to a windfarm/solar power utopia. Things just don't work that way.

Look how long it took to replace the horse and buggy with the automobile. Decades. Even now you can find places where they will not use the automobile, and still use the horse and buggy as their means of transportation.

Wind-farms and solar power may come into their own someday. Right now, no plan exists that I know of that doesn't depend heavily on government subsidies, no plan exists that is commercially viable. (At least, not here in the States.) In the meantime fossil fuels get the job done for the foreseeable future.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #705
Wind-farms and solar power may come into their own someday. Right now, no plan exists that I know of that doesn't depend heavily on government subsidies, no plan exists that is commercially viable. (At least, not here in the States.) In the meantime fossil fuels get the job done for the foreseeable future.

What happens is that you don't pay the full price for your fossil fuels, you simply postpone the full price payment of it's usage for the next generations to pay while happily destroying the entire planet.

Renewable energies don't need any subsidies, what's necessary is to simply forbidden fossil fuels as an environmental crime.

We are comparing the full price of renewable energies with less than one tenth of the price of fossil fuels consequences.
Belfrager has long past the point of no return in this discussion. We're Americans, therefore we're evil and our every motive is bad all the time, according to him. Ho hum.

Never said that. Just touched the point why Oakdale and probably you are against climate change, for energetic consumption protectionism and oil control.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #706
OK, Bel---- you're on. Prove that I have any control over oil usage, beyond what I use in my vehicle. Prove that I set prices, that I in any way compel other people to use more oil and so on.

While we're at it, prove that I am against climate change. From what I understand, the Earth's climate has been see-sawing between cool and warm for eons. In fact, when this globe first came into existence it was a flaming ball of hot rocks, couldn't possibly support life as we know it. It's cooled down quite a bit from "hottest ever" status, from the look of things. Frankly, I have absolutely no idea how you stop a planet this size from changing its climate whenever it does so. I have no idea, supposing for a moment that CO2 is the bogeyman everybody says it is, how you would moderate it so you don't go from warming to ice-age---- and neither do your favorite scientists.

You said it, so presumably you can prove it.
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #707
What happens is that you don't pay the full price for your fossil fuels, you simply postpone the full price payment of it's usage for the next generations to pay while happily destroying the entire planet.
Ah! The Social Justice and Marxist/Post-Modernist tropes of "externalities"…even when they're imaginary! :)
Next, you'll take up full-blown Liberation Theology!
——————————————————————————
On the "renewables" side, many of us on the right side of sanity have long known what Peter Thiel wrote in the NY Times recently… But the "environmentalist/green/Luddite" fellow travelers wouldn't have it: The earth might go Boom! you know… :)

Before the tsunami that destroyed Fukushima's light-water reactor, the only reactor to go critical was a Russian weapons manufactory at Chernoble… And Fukushima's reactor didn't go critical.
Still the anti-nuke forces persist. And fools believe their tripe.
—————————————————————————————————————————
Bel is obviously a BIG fan of the Walking Dead… (His preferred apocalypse: Nothing truly human survives!)
进行 ...

Reply #708

Reply #709
Ah! The Social Justice and Marxist/Post-Modernist tropes of "externalities"…even when they're imaginary!  :) 
Next, you'll take up full-blown Liberation Theology!

Dogs barks and the caravan passes.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #710
the caravan passes
Across the desert. The dog barks at intruders…
What leads people across the desert? :)
进行 ...

Reply #711
These super-agencies have so much power to force individual nations to toe the line.

Really?

Japan says it's going to kill 300 whales--- whaling ban or no.

India is "flashing the finger" at any agency that tries to stop it from burning coal. China is pretty much doing the same. India says it won't let renewable energy in unless coal works alongside it.

Fun, ain't it?

http://www.climatechangenews.com/2015/12/01/india-china-planned-coal-plants-could-blow-un-warming-target/

Reply #712
Here's some science for you. This concerns El Nino's effect on hurricanes in the Atlantic and the Central and Eastern Pacific. A strong El Nino tends to shut down the Atlantic hurricanes due to wind shear, but it strengthens Eastern Pacific hurricanes.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2015/12/01/below-normal-atlantic-hurricane-season-ends/

Reply #713
The "trends" seem to be manufactured by continually lowering the actual temperature data of the past… The latest, the "adjustment" of the sea surface temperatures of our planet — to "agree" with the bucket and thermometer readings of two centuries, should cause even Hansen and Schmidt a blush! But they don't blush; they have no shame.

Obama is playing a different game: Transforming America — into what?

The Paris conclave will likely fail to accomplish anything, other than schedule the date of the next Climate Change Conference…

(For those of you who might actually be worried: Don't be. The earth's climate is always changing; and life adapts.)
进行 ...

Reply #715

The earth's climate is always changing; and life adapts.

I'd expect that kind of statement more from a Greenpeace type person, you know? :P

The Greenpeace people are too busy marching in protest, demanding that the developed nations transfer billions to the undeveloped nations.

Reply #717
The Greenpeace people are too busy marching in protest, demanding that the developed nations transfer billions to the undeveloped nations.

Is that really such a big thing as you're making it out to be? I initially didn't even understand what you were saying about making ourselves poorer.

Reply #718
(For those of you who might actually be worried: Don't be. The earth's climate is always changing; and life adapts.)

Speaks, between parentesis, the voice of ignorance.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #719

Speaks, between parentesis, the voice of ignorance.

Errr----ahhhhhh----- Bel, you're not doing so hot yourself. One liners that say nothing? I suppose I should expect that now though, since it seems you don't have any arrows left in your quiver. Oakdale spoke truth: The Earth's climate has been changing--- warmer or colder-- ever since creation. Medieval Warm Period, followed by Little Ice Age and so on. The best you could come up with is a one-liner about Oakdale's ignorance?

Reply #720
Europeans have always considered us Colonials deficient, mjm! And feared our influence, and bemoaned our competence…
That the "climate science" that now is the main support for "income re-distribution" on a world-wide scale is seriously questioned is -obviously- a problem. It's not unusual that "re-education" is one of the prescriptions advanced; nor that "consensus" (which, in Marxist terms, means nothing more than toeing the Party line…) is the new criterion.

My level of ignorance is quite high: There are many fields where my education is woefully inadequate; but I do know how to pick "experts" who've exhibited intellectual honesty…

You've -perhaps- heard of such a thing, Bel? :)
进行 ...

Reply #721
Being warm ain't so bad.

Last year, here in the American Midwest, we had a couple of strong "Polar Vortexes" roll out of Canada and make things incredibly bitter down here. It got below zero F several days, and highs didn't make it out of single digits F.

This year, a strong El Nino is in town, and weather forecasters say it should keep the polar air North where it belongs. We'll still get cold but not as cold, we'll get snow but maybe not crippling amounts of it.

Reply #722
If it looks like wealth-transfer, acts like wealth-transfer and smells like wealth-transfer, it's probably--- department:

http://www.climatechangenews.com/2015/12/03/cop21-climate-finance-row-burning-bright-as-clock-ticks-on-talks/

Reply #723
I'm very sorry to have to agree with you, mjm. (Briggs had this to say…)

The science is what it is; and, oddly, many scientists ignore it — being more interested in (excuse me, I should call them "scientists"…) their politics.
进行 ...

Reply #724
The best you could come up with is a one-liner about Oakdale's ignorance?

Not bad your ignorance still have a one-liner of my part.
Next will be a no-liner.

Your ridiculous has surpased anything acceptable for the civilized world regarding the thread's matter. The two of you.
A matter of attitude.