Skip to main content
Topic: bugs (Read 97360 times)

Re: bugs

Reply #175
I had problems with keyboard shortcuts in the very first Otter I installed. It was so serious that I soon deleted the default keybinds files entirely and built my own keybinds. I have stayed away from the default keybinds ever since.

It's probably an upstream issue that the web engine "eats" letters, i.e. interprets normal characters in forms as keyboard shortcuts, but no matter what stream, this kind of problem should not exist. The browser is simply unusable out of the box.

Reply #176

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/
Try srolling this page...
Otter in slow motion..
CPU 100%..

Confirmed. The problem is greatly alleviated when Otter is unmaximised, but it's still a problem that does not affect other browsers. For example Qutebrowser, which has roughly similar components and dependencies as Otter, treats the page normally.

Reply #177
I can't confirm either problem. My Otter CPU use while scrolling doesn't exceed 16%, which however is a fair bit more than the 10% I get on e.g. this site. Perhaps that simply means my ('09!) CPU is too fast to show the problem? That being said, Firefox goes up to 20% on that page and Opera/Blink goes up to about 17%.

NB I've got 4 CPU cores, so 25% is the max of what an individual core can handle.

Reply #178
on my dual-core cpu that scrolling goes from 30-50%
could be if you use maybe single core cpu

Reply #179

NB I've got 4 CPU cores, so 25% is the max of what an individual core can handle.

That probably depends on the way the system calculates this. My system monitor (MATE) when scrolling https://git.kernel.org/cgit/ shows 104-108 % for Otter, so Otter is not even satisfied with one core (quadcore-CPU). Opera scrolling the same page starts with 20 % but drops to 8 % within a few seconds.

Reply #180

I have dualcore. One core went to 100% and there was hardly any other program running than Otter. Then I closed Otter and opened the same address in Qutebrowser. Neither core amounted to much.  This is how I determined the problem with Otter was confirmed.

Reply #181
dunno that would require some hard debugging since not all have that issue
I just tried again and same result, goes from 30% - 50% max
and I have old AMD 5050e DC CPU, so not new machine at all

Reply #182
Otter can't always remember the icon of a website in the bookmarks toolbar. Sometimes it shows it, most of time it does not.

Reply #183

Can't use the browser, it always suddenly closes seconds after I open.

When I execute in terminal, it opens and when It suddenly closes it says: Segmentation fault (core image recorded) 

Using Xubuntu 14.04.2 LTS

Found the problem. Happens when you download the EasyList in the built-in Ad-Block.

** Update **

Looks like a memory leak on facebook

Reply #185

Otter can't always remember the icon of a website in the bookmarks toolbar. Sometimes it shows it, most of time it does not.

There's a setting "Clear history when application closes". I don't have it selected, but Otter never ever remembers bookmark icons at startup. It only shows the icons (most of them, not always all) when I visit a bookmark.

Reply #186

There's a setting "Clear history when application closes". I don't have it selected, but Otter never ever remembers bookmark icons at startup. It only shows the icons (most of them, not always all) when I visit a bookmark.

I don't have that setting selected either. I believe this is a bug, because if you selected to see just the icons and have more than three bookmarks it can be a little hard to identify each one is the one you want to open.

Reply #187
@Rômulo, are you using packaged from launchpad with system wide Qt5?
Ubuntu 14.04 contains extremely outdated QtWebKit (5.1), I would suggest to fetch Qt SDK  and compile it against 5.4.

@py-thon, hopefully it is the same issue that was fixed for DuckDuckGo, Qt 5.4.2 should be available soon (it got delayed due to issues with CI etc. :-/).

@djgl, yeah, it got broken under Windows recently, currently I'm looking for proper solution .

@hoova,it is the same issue as above.

@rincewind, yes, mouse gestures are enabled by default, yu can set Browser/GesturesProfilesOrder to empty string to disable them.
Of course there will be also UI to configure them.

@exley, OK, I'll check that issue with upload.
The latter issue is the same as reported by others.

I don't have that setting selected either. I believe this is a bug, because if you selected to see just the icons and have more than three bookmarks it can be a little hard to identify each one is the one you want to open.

I'm considering storing them as part of bookmarks file, then icons wouldn't be affected by changes in history and wouldn't randomly change if webpage changes favicon (like multiple changes done by Google in the past).
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #188
Thanks Emdek, updating QtWebKit to 5.1 fixed the problem with the Ad-Block, but I believe the memory leak on Facebook is still here.

Reply #189
with amount of useless script FB is using there will always be some memory leak
I freaking hate that site

Reply #190
another bug that I noticed existed in 67 and is still in 70
in tools->preferences->web page language->
I add American - English, then hit ADD button, it appears on the list
then OK, then Apply, go back to same settings and its gone
webpages again milk your locale

there is also new bug regarding infamous facebook
when you enter someone's picture, Otter doesn't react when you click on button
for "full screen picture"

also multiple upload of files is still broken

so are youtube(flash) controls)

Reply #191
another bug that I noticed existed in 67 and is still in 70
in tools->preferences->web page language->
I add American - English, then hit ADD button, it appears on the list
then OK, then Apply, go back to same settings and its gone
webpages again milk your locale

Fixed.

also multiple upload of files is still broken

I've checked that and QtWebKit seems to ignore QWebPage::ChooseMultipleFilesExtension...
At least it works with QtWebEngine.

Most likely I'll make use of Qt 5.5 beta as soon as it will be available, maybe there will be some fixes for other issues too.

Reply #192
I could really love this browser.  I am having an issue with the bookmarks bar:  Once I've setup a bookmark bar and click on the bookmarks, the bar shrinks down, showing only the the text of the current site.  If this is a feature, I don't see the use of it.  In fact I've configured the bar to show titles and favicons side-by-side, but the text disappears after clicking.  Is there any way I can lock the bar to show text at all times?  Or is this a bug?  Sorry if you were already aware of this; I did a cursory search on the forum and found nothing.

Reply #194
It seems to me that Otter downloads everything twice. When I open the download window every download appears twice, sometimes even with slightly different times. It is possible to stop one and still have the other (see attachment).

Reply #195
Recently it often happens to me that Otter crashes when I close a tab with mouse gesture (especially the first tab). This did not happen a few weeks ago, but I can't tell when this started.

qtwebengine bookmarks menu

Reply #196
when selecting a bookmark in a subfolder
status field is going nuts and selection highlighting slows down, is no longer under mouse pointer and reaches the selected bookmark with delay

Reply #197
@py-thon, that download was triggered by clicking on link, from context menu (which action?) or from Transfers Manager?
I can't reproduce that crash, which Qt version are you using? Any chance to get backtrace?

@rincewind, could you please post screenshot showing both statusbar and location of cursor on the list?

Reply #198
You do not believe me. Posting a screenshot is not possible for me. But when I disable the statusbar the bookmarks behave normal. Only resetting it to defaults or making it empty doesn't change anything.

Reply #199
@Emdek
The download was triggered by clicking left on a link. This happens with all my downloads (or at least each time I check with the transfer manager, because I usually don't open that window), independent of website or filetype.
I am using qt-version 5.3.2 from Debian Testing.