Skip to main content
Topic: Is there a police psychology problem?? (Read 113475 times)

Re: Is there a police psychology problem??

Reply #250

Is there a policy competency problem?

Officers tried to call Ponte’s cell phone, but he was in a meeting and missed the call (and his voicemail wasn’t working anyway); and Ponte got a Zappos email asking him to contact detectives, but the call he made went straight to voicemail. Can we suggest something to both the public and the police if this ever happens again? Text! (“Rob. This is Metro. You alive?”)

I believe they generally don't do that, as they wouldn't know who's on the other end. A more generic message, "please contact us", shouldn't be a problem though, no more than voicemail.

Reply #251
Everybody has a bad idea now and then, an idea that won't work.... and in the case of this example from 1924, perhaps it's as well that it didn't get off the drawing board. Yes, somebody actually dreamed up radio-controlled robot cops. Back in the days of reed-radios that had all-or-nothing servo movements. Today's digital-proportional systems might actually make something like this work-- but we can hope not.

What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #252
They would have been better than what is available now!  :lol:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #253
Everybody has a bad idea now and then, an idea that won't work.... and in the case of this example from 1924, perhaps it's as well that it didn't get off the drawing board.

It sure is interesting how they're showing the robots oppressing the population rather than doing something useful.

Reply #254
"By H[ugo] Gernsback", one of the pioneers of science fiction, and the one who coined the term. Not really surprised.

The robots in Karel Čapek's 1920 story Rossum’s Universal Robots, where the word 'robot' was coined, they were revolutionary factory workers. Different writers, different approaches.

Reply #255
Those things would have been terribly "glitchy" too. Reed radios, a gasoline engine with -- most likely-- abominable radio suppression if any at all in its ignition, a "noisy" generator to charge the massive (by today's standards) battery pack-- I wonder that those robots could work at all more than a car's length from the transmitters. It wouldn't have taken much for the rabble to come up with something to jam those radios and turn the "police" into scrap.

Yeah, you're right-- it doesn't take much observation to see who's side the "police robots" are on, and that this was an oppressive thing-- rather like the Roman legions placing their shields together and marching forward against unarmed civilians in one of the territories.
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #256
"By H[ugo] Gernsback", one of the pioneers of science fiction, and the one who coined the term. Not really surprised.

Heh, I didn't look that closely.

Reply #257
Radio Police Automaton...
Simple television sets are much worst.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #258
And at the two separate police funerals in New York officers turned their backs. No wonder there is police problem in the ex-colonies cities. You would think the police should run the country they get away with everything else.

Reply #259

Those things would have been terribly "glitchy" too. Reed radios, a gasoline engine with -- most likely-- abominable radio suppression if any at all in its ignition, a "noisy" generator to charge the massive (by today's standards) battery pack-- I wonder that those robots could work at all more than a car's length from the transmitters. It wouldn't have taken much for the rabble to come up with something to jam those radios and turn the "police" into scrap.

Yeah, you're right-- it doesn't take much observation to see who's side the "police robots" are on, and that this was an oppressive thing-- rather like the Roman legions placing their shields together and marching forward against unarmed civilians in one of the territories.
Yes, but I think those things could be easily defeated. On caterpillar tracks instead of wheels, they couldn't have been very agile. It seems possible to send a team around to topple the control car. On legs, huh? Remember that scene The Empire Strikes Back in which the rebels tied the Imperial Walker's legs together? In the game Mech Wars, you pilot a combat mech to shot down the enemies ones. I would always aim for the legs. In short, while legs provide height, they're a tremendous weakness. In the picture's scenario, I imagine the mob can throw Molotov Cocktails at the legs . Another problem is the machines are radio controlled. Even back then, you could probably jam the signal. So the people win against those instruments of oppression :yes:

Reply #260
Telling policeman design, with a shaft that ejaculates tear gas, and gaseous excretions at the reverse, and what appears to be a roto-baton.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxD-5z_xHBU[/video]

Reply #261
While we're at it, check out that antennae on the back of the machine. AM radio, you might have gotten by with that in 1925 but I doubt it. Anybody who could find out the police frequency could jam the thing, then where are you at?

Note that today, we still don't use automatons for crowd control. There's a reason for that. Today we have far more dependable radios, digital, proportional servos, better stuff in every measurable way--- and the only robots are either in manufacturing lines or in hobby applications. Even the robots in manufacturing are coming under scrutiny, seems I've read recently that some outfits are hiring humans again because humans do a better job.

Reply #262
What the cities need are humans as policemen or have the aliens already infiltrated?  ???

Reply #263

What the cities need are humans as policemen or have the aliens already infiltrated? 

They have, they are called Muslims, & white left-wing social agitators & apologists.

Quote from:      The Nation    http://bit.ly/1tLoUQJ    
Britain has an idiosyncratic in fact unique policing system that is a triumph of western civilisation and the envy of the world. The light touch is its trademark, the unarmed bobby its symbol. Britains streets have for decades been orderly by western standards. It was the kind of order that ruled in the household paternal and protective, not sadistic and authoritarian. The past few days of urban riots have revealed the British policing system as untenable. It is too weak to confront the society that has grown up around it. Britons of all persuasions were disappointed in the police this week. Home secretary Theresa May told parliament the police response was not sufficiently robust. Tariq Jahan father of one of the men murdered by marauders in Birmingham while protecting his street said: If the police had handled the matter, if they could have stopped the escalation and the violence across Birmingham and other areas, this would not have happened. Light-touch policing was never as light as it looked. The bobby always had behind him as firepower the authority of societys prejudices. A consensus across classes that certain behaviours will not be tolerated is a powerful deterrent. But Britains police have had no such authority at their disposal for a long time now. British culture at least its urban culture has grown too diverse for common agreement on what is unacceptable public behaviour, short of violence. Even where such agreement exists, the authorities have been reluctant to enforce it. British culture has always been individualist, but in the last 50 years it has become radically anti-authoritarian. This disposition has to do with the project of dismantling the class system. Reformers have thrown out the baby of authority with the bath water of privilege. And this is a tragedy. Britain has chosen a different kind of liberty, one that does not rest on shared values. That is, it has chosen an American-style liberty, and this will have to be safeguarded in an American way. If violence is the only kind of behaviour police are permitted to counter, then they will be outfitted for countering violence, not for talking to children about keeping the sidewalks tidy. The alternative to maintaining order through consensus is through fear. While Britons are fond of their police, Americans are generally scared of theirs, and go to great lengths to avoid coming to their attention. In 2006, I joined two constables patrolling a rough street in the London neighbourhood of Spitalfields. It shocked me to see a gang of kids shouting insults out of an upper-storey flat. The officers told me that was nothing sometimes those kids threw things. In almost any neighbourhood in the US, the police would ensure that those kids would look back on having done that as the biggest mistake of their lives. Perhaps because Americans fear their police so much, they have great confidence in their efficacy. Any encounter with police is marked by an understanding that one party represents the legitimate authority of the state and one party does not. In recent years, British policemen have been groping for ways of instilling that in the public. Sometimes they have done so irresponsibly, as in the death of Ian Tomlinson, who wandered into the G20 protests in London in 2009 and died after being thrown to the ground by police. When fear-based policing triumphs, the need disappears for sensitivity to local conditions and legitimate gripes. A watershed moment in US policing came in 1968 when Chicago police brutalised hippies protesting outside the Democratic convention polls showed Americans backed the police overwhelmingly. For most Americans, the revelation that Mark Duggan had a real gun when he was killed by Tottenham police last week would have ended any discussion of justice and injustice. It will be clear to any US observer that this draconian vision of policing is in the process of triumphing in Britain. The only serious debate is over how much more leeway the police require. David Cameron has said he does not want to hear about phoney human rights concerns when using CCTV to arrest perpetrators. Whatever tactics police feel they need to employ, they will have legal backing to do so, he says. Public approval of vigilantism e.g. the bat-wielding Turks of Dalston is another sign of this shift. The new consensus is that erring on the side of caution is as dangerous as erring on the side of brutality. Once that is agreed, the police become a different type of organisation. The bobby will not totally disappear. The old style of policing will be maintained for tourists, much as you can still see mounted police on Boston Common. But the real work of the police will henceforth be done through kettling, electronic surveillance and weaponry.

Quite proper now, aye .......... Has tolerance overstayed it's welcome?

What say ye, matey??

Reply #264
Rubbish breifly.

Trying to every subtle using that picture when our police don't automatically go for the baton like your crazy murderous uniformed lot. An NYPD sergeant I had a chat with when there asked if was a fact that British police got by with a notepad and a stick and I said "yep." He shook his head on that one and I am thankful that ours are still unarmed.  What your polce give the impression of is a dangerous place and the cops can get away with anything. So if you want to be a murderer in the US get a police uniform as the chance of being done for pumping lots of bullets into someone will mean nothing. You just say you were threatened and everything will be okay. With constant police shootings in multiple bullets not to stop but kill, using the national Guard who are still soldiers never mind the fact they are State controlled, armoured cars and military surplus equipment it gives the impression of a very dangerous country and even more so with gun owners in 9 figures that only adds to it. And as I said those New York ones acting like spoiled childish brats turning their backs on the mayor. What an emotionally kindergarten mentality over there.   Thank goodness you broke away centuries ago and created the mess up yourselves. Sigh of relie...phew.

Reply #265
With constant police shootings in multiple bullets not to stop but kill

If the objective is not to kill the subject you are firing at, then you are totally unfit to be holding a firearm, & should never be permitted to have one, much less hold one.

My suggestion to anyone that thinks otherwise ----- carry a pocket of rocks, & prepare to run fast, very fast!

Reply #266
Quote from: SmileyFaze
.......... Has tolerance overstayed it's welcome?

No I don't think so. The old tradition of unarmed police in the UK is worth hanging onto.

I picked out a couple of sentences in that article you posted ---
"(in the UK) The alternative to maintaining order through consensus is through fear. While Britons are fond of their police, Americans are generally scared of theirs, and go to great lengths to avoid coming to their attention."

I can only speak for the UK - maybe it is like that in the US. maybe not; perhaps others would like to comment on that. But in the UK people do generally like the police although there are exceptions with some communities, certain racial groups and the criminal class. Not that I group those together as automatic bedfellows but any class that has put itself aside or has been put aside is likely to develop an us-versus-them mentality.

Nowadays there is ready access to arms by the police but this is for special units, not the general rule and is only used exceptionally. That policy has led to unarmed police being hurt, that is true, but it does maintain the underlying body of belief that the use of arms on our streets is abnormal and it remains rare albeit that I admit it seems to grow more common.

I have only once seen a policeman hold a gun (where there was some some of operation going on in a motorway service area) aside from ceremonial use. But then I don't live in (insert your own city that you want to insult!).

Reply #267
The gun issue in the U.S. generally resolves to a disagreement between gun advocates (the NRA) and those who are against widespread gun ownership.

Personally, I think that widespread gun ownership has had a negative impact in U.S. life. Having said that, I have had no encounters with people wielding guns. Sadly, that's not the experience of other Americans. Recently, my brother told me of an incident where a bullet went through a window in his house and became lodged in a door just above his sleeping dog. He lives in Detroit, so that's to be expected.

...the larger issue for gun advocates is one of our liberties. For them, the right to bear arms trumps any attempt to dilute the Constitution’s Second Amendment with restrictions on who bears arms, for what purpose, and exactly what sort of arms they’re bearing. Any attempt to encroach on it, even by an iota, will ultimately lead to our enslavement by a federal tyranny. If we have to suffer an occasional mass murder, it is a necessary price we must endure to insure our freedom.

But what does the Second Amendment actually say? Here it is, in full: “A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

By lopping off the first half of the sentence, the pro-gun lobby and its apologists have eliminated the Founders’ rationale for this amendment: That those who bore arms did so as members of a well-regulated militia. This was never a license for freelance vigilantism.

Just months before the Constitution was forged, our new nation endured Shays’ Rebellion of 1786-7, in which a militia had to be called out in Massachusetts to suppress an uprising against the government’s fiscal policies before order was restored. The purpose of the Second Amendment was to subdue violent dissent, not enhance it. At the time, we hardly had an army to speak of, so the safest way to ensure the security of the federal and state governments against subversion was “a well-regulated militia.” It derives from Article One of the Constitution, which gives Congress the power “To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions.” The Second Amendment says nothing about administering personal justice or taking the law into one’s own hands.

The above was excerpted from...
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/12/18/gun-control-foes-misunderstand-the-intent-of-the-second-amendment.html

Reply #268
That's an interesting article, the remark that those who own arms are presumed to be those belonging to a well regulated militia, is something I've not seen argued in that way before.

I have to qualify the last sentence of my previous post. I should have written that I have not personally seen guns other than on the TV. This is because I have occasionally seen news reports when there has been some outrage committed. So for example some footage was shown yesterday in the context of the Paris shooting.

Reply #269
Totally agree with string and glad we have a polce that do not carry guns especially as what you see elsewhere where a policeman thinks he can do what he damn well likes and get away with it.

The usual cowboy nonsense from our resident terrorts here of course! In fact i did fire a gun once a multiple firing one at an army base years ago in British Ireland (!). Had arranged to visit it whilst I had my Boys' Brigade Company summer camp to it as it allowed such trips. We did the assault course, swimming pool seen the helicopter unit and the shooting range. Actually went two years  once one year when the Cheshire regiment in attendance and the next with the Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders). Real soldiers Smiley not like the ones who bomb weddings and kill families. Got the canteen as a well and whatever wanted to eat. So dear cowboy I have experienced a rifle.Have no general interest nor wish to be involved with the childish mindset your corner has over there.

Watched a replay last night of one of the NYC policemen killed and actually saw the NYC turning their backs. How pathetic, politically motivate and childish. not surprised you lot have police problems but you allow them anything so your problem.

Reply #270
Just for you RJ ....... From Dover, with Love  

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XFBUM8dMqw[/VIDEO]

Looks like a "Natural Born Killer" to me .......        

Reply #271
Excellent illustration of the mentality over the pond.

And you only add to my feeling regarding the childishness and immaturity by the way you post with giant letters and illustrations. That is the mindset of a child and why you cannot use the forums in a mature way is your problem. With the amount of crime over there and the ineptitude of police they would be better just singing.

Reply #272
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEa5HFczegU#t=26[/video]

Reply #273
It's all Smiley's fault.

Reply #274
Looks like the gentleman from Tennessee is wilting under the ratt-tatt-tatting of the Howie onslaught on imagined American foibles. It never ends ensbb3, so give it up.