Skip to main content

Poll

Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to own, carry, & use Firearms to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends?

Absolutely Yes!
I thinks so.
I don't think so.
Definitely No!
My name isn't String, so let me have a icy cold beer so I can ponder the options...
Topic: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms? (Read 335049 times)

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #700
Crime statistics are easy to check. The FBI posts these as they become available. Of course, the numbers for 2014 haven't been published yet because the numbers are still being added, subtracted, multiplied and divided by your house number, but 2013 statistics are in. Sorry, RJ, but Smiley is right. We did, indeed, have a drop in the rates we used guns to "off" each other here. Actually, Smiley's numbers are about right. Even in Chicago, guns were used less often than in the year before. I know, it's hard to believe when your first instinct is to think that Americans are uncouth savages with a John Wayne fixation, but the numbers-- posted by the top cop organization in the country-- show that the drop in gun crime is very real.

Now, 8,000 some odd is still way too high--- but it's NOT 10,000. Considering the population is some 300,000,000 or thereabouts--- Still too high, but dropping is good.

See here: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2014/11/10/fbi-report-confirms-crime-fell-while-gun-purchases-soared-in-2013/
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #701
Now, 8,000 some odd is still way too high--- but it's NOT 10,000. Considering the population is some 300,000,000 or thereabouts--- Still too high, but dropping is good.

See here: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2014/11/10/fbi-report-confirms-crime-fell-while-gun-purchases-soared-in-2013/

From another source:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2012/0109/US-crime-rate-at-lowest-point-in-decades.-Why-America-is-safer-now

In the past 20 years, for instance, the murder rate in the United States has dropped by almost half, from 9.8 per 100,000 people in 1991 to 5.0 in 2009. Meanwhile, robberies were down 10 percent in 2010 from the year before and 8 percent in 2009.
But that number is old. It's actually continued to fall since then.

Reply #702
Old statistics can be useful.
I have some hundred-year-old photographs showing what a ghastly place Glasgow has been.

Reply #704
 :lol:

Reply #705
As expected the routine of bodyswerving from the gun maddest country in the world. Keep it up boys and keep doing well doing a dance as always do rather than face an issue. Since I have been on here and Opera must be 40,000 ex-colonists shot to death. Keeps you on the top as you like to be.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #706
An old report -but not too old- (cited by Wiki) mentions "Southern Africa, Central America, and South America are the three subregions with the highest homicide rates." (source)

Is it your contention that being killed by violence is less final when a gun isn't used? :) Or is it that you only care about (to criticize…) your poor cousins, those rebellious Americans?

It seems more likely that you simply have had your blinders fixed for so long that you can hardly see anything at all… Carry on, Dobbin!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #707
We clearly dont want governments having guns. They tend to shoot people and enslave people or create genocides.

Reply #708
I believe that genie is out of the bottle and they've moved on. :P

Reply #709

I believe that genie is out of the bottle and they've moved on. :P

A genie mayhaps, but no true magic until I arrived

Reply #710

.....Since I have been on here and Opera must be 40,000 ex-colonists shot to death. Keeps you on the top as you like to be.

Here's some numbers fer ya......

Since 2004 (when you joined Opera ... I just checked .... ) there were 40 million 40,000,000+ American Citizens (future gun owners & Constitutionalists) born ta replace 'em.

Ya like stats, put yer teeth in, & chew on that fer a spell ole man.....     

BTW.......... Capt. Robert J. Howie, 76th Glasgow Company    ........   check this out. It's right up yer alley: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-5iJFVqPHk

Reply #711

.....Since I have been on here and Opera must be 40,000 ex-colonists shot to death. Keeps you on the top as you like to be.

Here's some numbers fer ya......

Since 2004 (when you joined Opera ... I just checked .... Capt. Robert J. Howie, 76th Glasgow Company...but I already knew that, & heaps more .....  BTW check this out. It's right up yer alley  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-5iJFVqPHk ) there were 40 million 40,000,000+ American Citizens (future gun owners & Constitutionalists) born ta replace 'em.

Ya like stats, put yer teeth in, & chew on that fer a spell ole man.....     

One wonders how many Glaswegians have been murdered via knifing since 2004?   :right:   :angel:

Reply #712
One wonders how many Glaswegians have been murdered via knifing since 2004?    :right:     :angel:

Well Nick, for starters, a quick glance & peek unearthed this lil nasty tidbit RJ would cringe over from The Other Side of the Pond, Glasgow way.

BTW......If I had ta choose how ta go, I'd choose a bullet in the brain over a rusty ole dull Glaswegian
Shiv in the gut anyday!

Reply #713

One wonders how many Glaswegians have been murdered via knifing since 2004?    :right:     :angel:

Well Nick, a quick glance & peek unearthed this lil nasty tidbit RJ would cringe over from The Other Side of the Pond, Glasgow way.

BTW......If I had ta choose how ta go, I'd choose a bullet in the brain over a
rusty ole dull Glaswegian Shiv in the gut anyday!

Oh dear.  :eyes:
So much for our barbarism.  :rolleyes:

:cheers: for the research sir.  :cheers:

Reply #715
Strathclyde includes Glasgow, just so's you know.

Hmmm...... Strathclyde/Glasgow seem to have the highest numbers of knife-crime in all of Scotland, with Glasgow City itself having the highest percentage (35 per 10,000). That's really abominable.

So--- the so-civilized-that-they-can-look-down-their-nose at us poor savage Americans turn out not to be so civilized after all. A crime committed with a knife rather than a gun is still a crime.
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #716
Just shows the limit of the average ex-colonists mindset. Glasgow is the centre point of the West of Scotland and draws in people from just over the boundary for entertainment etc but I still find it damn safer than living in a country that goes bananas for the need to have piles of guns shooting each other. The country that portrays itself as the beacon and has over 250 million guns floating about with so many nut csaes also around. It just shows how dangerous the place is that it wallows in guns and says to the world that the police forces are of little use and yet boasts about being a shining light to the world. There does seem to be a wallowing in immature and childish  mentalities over there. The jails bursting at the seams, people on death row for 10 years and more and boasts about being the greatest country on Earth. When you threw the tea in the harbour you should have jumped in with it because you have messed up big.  :P

Reply #717
 :troll: Nothing more needs to be said.

Reply #718
Hmmm...... Strathclyde/Glasgow seem to have the highest numbers of knife-crime in all of Scotland, with Glasgow City itself having the highest percentage (35 per 10,000). That's really abominable.

Good thing I live in nice, safe Vegas instead of Glasgow, where they have the shanking people, barbaric mindset all the while sipping Irn Bru in lieu of a man's softdrink such as Coca-Cola. One has to wonder how many knives there are in Glasgow. I'd wager at least 4 million, in that one city alone!

Reply #719

Good thing I live in nice, safe Vegas instead of Glasgow, where they have the shanking people, barbaric mindset all the while sipping Irn Bru in lieu of a man's softdrink such as Coca-Cola. One has to wonder how many knives there are in Glasgow. I'd wager at least 4 million, in that one city alone!

Just a wild guess here, but I'd wager (Vegas being what it is) that there isn't all that much shooting either. At least, if there is you've been keeping a lid on it because it doesn't make the national news like DC, Detroit and Chicago do.

I've lived in a couple of bad Chicago neighborhoods, never got threatened with a gun even once. I wonder how that happened if this place is the hell-hole RJH keeps prattling that it is.

Reply #720
Kind of ironic coming from a man in a Windy City alive with crime in the last couple of years. you couldn't even answer my thread a while back about people tortured by the police department, etc. We do not have police running about shooting people like shooting range practice.  You all do conform to the practice I have also previously stated that when you mention all the internal hypocrisy in America whilst boring the world to bits none of you answer the points yo go along with waffle, avoid answering the challenges so keep it up as you are doing a wonderful job of vindicating my points"!

A country with bulging jails, a wide para-military police gunning folk down and getting away with it we don't appreciate how lucky we are being away from the gun mad good ole US of A.

Reply #721

Kind of ironic coming from a man in a Windy City alive with crime in the last couple of years. you couldn't even answer my thread a while back about people tortured by the police department, etc. We do not have police running about shooting people like shooting range practice.  You all do conform to the practice I have also previously stated that when you mention all the internal hypocrisy in America whilst boring the world to bits none of you answer the points yo go along with waffle, avoid answering the challenges so keep it up as you are doing a wonderful job of vindicating my points"!

A country with bulging jails, a wide para-military police gunning folk down and getting away with it we don't appreciate how lucky we are being away from the gun mad good ole US of A.

This from a proud citizen of: 
[glow=black,2,300]Glasgow

"The Murder Capital of Western Europe" 
in the
"The Most Violent Country in the Developed World"
[/glow]

Quote from:      The BBC News    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4257966.stm    

A UNITED Nations report has labelled Scotland the most violent country in the developed world, with people three times more likely to be assaulted than in America.......

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc7Wlc_lMoA[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK2PryGzW5s[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsIbQNQ0YEI[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dFbZXmAs3c[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhxriC8N9Io[/VIDEO]

After these, I thank my Lord & Savior that I live in the good ole US of A
No joke, I'd probably run out of bullets there in Glasgow, the bowels of civilization!

Reply #722
Why all this rubbishing of Glasgow?
Such an easy target. Even rj can't say anything in its favour except that "it is not as bad as Edinburgh".

Reply #723
I've lived in a couple of bad Chicago neighborhoods, never got threatened with a gun even once.

Having said that, the crime rate is a little above average, which can partially be attributed to still being a young, rapidly growing city with policing having difficulty keeping up with the population growth.  North Las Vegas, a suburb, manages to have worse crime than the city itself. NLV is that red area on the map and is a Fergusson waiting to happen.

Reply #724

Kind of iro

RJ, I'll let you in on a secret, provided you don't tell anybody else-- besides all the people who can read this publicly anytime they want---.

OK. The secret is this: I don't have to answer your "questions". Nope, not even one of them. Frankly, given your attitude, I don't have to pay any attention to you at all. The longer this goes on, the more brushing you off seems a good idea.

If I had a neighbor that behaves like this, either he would move or I would move before the sun goes down. I can't imagine that this sort of rude behavior reflects well on Glasgow, not even a little bit.  But, to each his own I reckon.