Skip to main content

Poll

Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to own, carry, & use Firearms to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends?

Absolutely Yes!
I thinks so.
I don't think so.
Definitely No!
My name isn't String, so let me have a icy cold beer so I can ponder the options...
Topic: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms? (Read 334610 times)

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #1150
Dear, oh dear Belfrager. All you are doing is encouraging nutjobland.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #1152
Dear, oh dear Belfrager. All you are doing is encouraging nutjobland.

Why shoudn't I encourage them?
I'm trying a mixed method using applied psychology and the Socratic method. :)
I aim to get them to see the truth just by asking (the right) questions...

I do. This person does too.

It's evident that when design cities for cars it fails for everyone. But that's a bit a problem to the Urbanistic Thread, here I try to be direct at the guns/cars thing because I see a parallelism at both "weapons".

The same reasons that allows for guns allows for cars but the same reasons against guns showldn't be also against cars? and they aren't.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #1153
Cars are rapidly getting less deadly (particularly in Europe, less so in the US, but also the rest of the world), there is no such trend for guns yet.

Anyway we are ignoring the hidden killers among us.

Reply #1154
We need killer cats to hunt down bad dogs with guns...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #1156
Oh heavens. I will not eat Nationalists.

Reply #1157
This is kind of impressive:  NRA, Republicans block proposed law to stop suspected terrorists from buying guns in U.S.
While the bill remained a nonstarter, more than 2,000 suspects on the FBI’s Terrorist Watchlist bought weapons in the U.S. over the last 11 years, according to the federal Government Accountability Office.

The GAO reported that 91% of all suspected terrorists who tried to buy guns in America walked away with the weapon they wanted over the time period, with just 190 rejected despite their ominous histories.

Reply #1158
A legal loophole allows suspected terrorists on the government’s no-fly list to legally buy guns, but a bill to fix that will likely wither on the vine. The federal Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act, even in the wake of last week’s terrorist killing of 129 people in Paris, remains a long shot due to its rabid pro-gun opponents.

Considering the rhetorical panache, I'm surprised anyone would take this story seriously… Really!? "Rabid pro-gun opponents"? :)

But this bill is a horrendous assault on our federalist system — and King et al. should know better!
(Loretta Lynch and her minions are not capable and certainly not competent to determine who gets the benefit of the Second Amendment… Have we forgotten Eric Holder's Gun Walker program? :( No U.S. Attorney General should have this power.)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #1159
It is kind of laughable jax as the US is so awash with guns.

Reply #1160
And France -which forbids guns to almost everyone- is a paradise?! C'mon, RJ, what you mean is: "We're wimps over here. But we're happy wimps! We've got our national health and our tele… What more do we need?!"
Seriously: Would you let your Queen (she's kinda old, in't she? :) ) decide such things? Just on her say-so, or that of her minions?
If so, I'd say you are non compos mentis:) (Not something that has recently occurred to me; not something I'd argue against. Would you be happy with your Scottish system of justice, I wonder…to make such a determination? :) )
进行 ...

Reply #1161
Look hermit man your country is unfortunately away head of the standard hypocrisy levels. Why does the place need so many damn guns, too heavy sentencing on some issues, probably a bigger proportion in jail than most places, police regularity gunning down unarmed people and so on. If there is such a ridiculous need for weapons it says much for the inherent and emotional weakness mentality. You well exhort the national emotional and immature weakness of the place. You do try to avoid the obvious but makes you look, well, amusing if it was not so serious a fault. If a country needs so many damn guns it is deeply flawed no matter what the more intelligent Americans may sigh about.

Reply #1162
David Kopel (of the Volokh Conspiracy) seems to agree with me, RJ. And notes some of your country's reprehensible history, to explain the impulses you exhibit…
(You've heard of history? It's more than vanity published books about one's forebears…)
进行 ...

Reply #1163
I would not be too keen on waffling about your history boyo. After all you have marched about the modern world  slapping the hand over the heart and shooting and warring everywhere. Millions of poor and homeless, controlled by big business, stifling the individual freedoms you boast about in that written Constitution. Throw n the way you treat the red Indians and the blacks whilst yakking about rights, freedoms and so on. Your political system is deeply flawed and most certainly not as widely representable as ours. An army of spy agencies that outnumber any other country , kill more citizenry! Take a very deep review of your own history and to so-called principles you trumpet to the world! Even that Lincoln bloke who's statue I passed in DC was a monumental hypocrist and a secret racist at dinner parties and such.

My only long sigh in your mince is that unfortunately you are an embarrassment to the sensible ex-colonists who come on here.  They ate least get out and good for them.  :up:

Reply #1164
One wonders, what can make someone so unhinged… RJ, were you dropped on your head by an American nanny, and thence blamed both your stupidities and their results on her nation? :)
Seriously, you're beyond help; but you might help others — case studies are still used in most therapeutic disciplines. Seek professional guidance.
You owe it to your fellow man! (And woman…)
进行 ...

Reply #1165
Now there's a thought for you. Oakdale reports on suspected terrorists legally being able to buy guns, and a bill in Congress likely dying in committee because the gun lobby would stop it. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Look---- it makes sense to stop some folk from getting guns if possible--- at least legally. (I know there's a black market, and anybody who can fork over the cash can get what they want illegally.)

There was a law--- maybe there still is-- that stops a person who has a domestic violence rap from getting a gun legally. The idea is that if a person beats on his/her mate, you sure don't want that person armed so he/she can kill their mate. Now, a person with a DV rap is likely to kill only his/her spouse and maybe their children--- not much more than that though that is plenty and to spare.

Selling weapons to suspected terrorists LEGALLY?? I begin to think just maybe RJH has a point about this nation being crazy.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #1166
:lol:
I'm yet to see a criminals' parade shouting "let us buy our guns legally!"

Reply #1167
I know it is sad mjsmsprt40 but do wish things were better that sphere of gun madness.

Reply #1168
You seem to have missed an important point, mjm: The determinations would be made by the U.S. Attorney General, based upon suspicions… What could go wrong? :(

I don't know about you, but I trust my local sheriff a lot more than I trust Eric Holder or Loretta Lynch!
进行 ...

Reply #1169
Might suit you Oakdale as you are a house hermit but there are far too many shooting incidents and police thuggery all over the country which does not do it's image any good to the world at large.

Reply #1170
RJ, you're a myopic SOB… A twerp who skulks and scurries, because he's afraid of everything.

To call me a hermit is the height of absurdity! Your little Scots fantasy world suits you well… Still, I hope when push comes to shove that my nation is able to come to your aid.

BTW: Your "quit you, be men!" means we should all carry swords and knives? :)
No guns allowed; no nukes. No "biologicals" and no chemicals… (Your generation used most of those, because…why? Because you are who you are, and can't learn better.
You're too stupid, and self-absorbed.)
进行 ...

Reply #1171
Interesting reaction from the most dangerous country to live in. Thank goodness the Americans I have personally known have been normal, sensible and not the big-headed mental midgets you I am afraid represent. With so many in your jails, yep another stars n' stripes No 1 I freely acknowledge that win.  :happy:

Reply #1172
Unfortunately, your only sources of information are your telly and your "native" intelligence… Woefully inadequate, I'm afraid.
But -as you yourself are incapable of anything consequential- such matters little.
进行 ...

Reply #1173
You are the No 1 champion for making your country look totally stupid. Radio and television are main news purveyors not a bunch of books on a shelve. You really are making yourself look stupid without me even trying to do that to you.

To just wave away the constant police control freaks you have nation-wide is so damnably stupid. Time after time regular school shootings, police beating up folk, shooting when they don't need to and the Chicago thing is typically routine along with the built-in aggression of police forces. These incidents have been rotine for not just moidern times but almost for ever as long as police existed. As I pointed out the mobile phone has brought the tragedy to more prominence. Indeed I have even seen on that television you mock wher police tried to stop people filming with their phones! You are the No 1 country outside of dictatorships for a gradual and growing Police State mentality. Where in many other places a person could be caught your uniformed fascists shoot instead. Normally one bullet is not enough and in the latest fiasco in the Windy City the cop shot the man 16 times?? Saying as they always do that they felt scared and their life in danger shows the mentality, ignorance and elementary minds. Many of these mental midgets would never get the same job here - they would fail.

Reply #1174
Television and radio are the main purveyors of state-sponsored propaganda, you mean. All the news they want you to hear--- gotta go to other sources if you really want to find out anything.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!