Skip to main content
Topic: What's going on in Scandinavia, North Atlantic, Baltic States and Scotland? (Read 135723 times)

Re: What's going on in Scandinavia, North Atlantic, Baltic States and Scotland?

Reply #175

Wonder what is worse in Sweden. Dying of cold or boredom?

Sadly Stockholm cannot offer nearly as many street fights as Glasgow, forcing the residents to settle for less gladiatorial entertainment, but boredom is not the only alternative to mayhem.

Reply #176
Very selective. Street fights are not all over this city (and nothing like places like Los Angeles, etc) but certain places. Sweden has a long history of being boring whether you like it or not. No doubt bright info fact by decades of letist ideology.....
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #177

Very selective. Street fights are not all over this city (and nothing like places like Los Angeles, etc) but certain places. Sweden has a long history of being boring whether you like it or not. No doubt bright info fact by decades of letist ideology.....

???

Reply #180
A compendium of...well, you guess who posted these gems.
Hint, hint.

Not that you would know it due to your limited grey cells dear osteoporosis supporter. This country was not ready for a war. Our Prime Minister tried to avoid having one knowing full well the history of WW1. He travelled to see Hitler twice and you come out with this drivel? We were badly bombed  in the major cities and large numbers died in the air attacks. By the end of the war the cost ran us into the ground not just in lives but infrastructure, rail, everything. Money was borrowed from America and not paid off until modern times so you made a profit from WW2 we did not. War although delayed by us was coming and the Polish agreement had to be followed while your lot stayed out for ages so we fought on virtually alone.  You are an embarrassment to your fellow countrymen and as you are a terror supporter an unprincipled oaf. Your misuse of historyand rat bag stuff at the lowest is disgusting. Shame on you!
…............
Well you are a generally typical ex-colonist mjsmsprt40! Any excuse to have guns and i know ell about farmers. When the Wild West gradually faded you had no great traditions like other countries so the gun was kept as some kind of worshipping item needed to defend, etc. Your country is gun mad and why there are police problems and you need over 200 million guns for defending yourselves? Uh? And you preach you are a modern, great example to the world and have a myriad of excuses for guns at home. Well why do other places in the world nt need to follow that poor example!? It doesn't give a very good impression of a country to be so up to the necks in this utter nonsense. The good things over there get spoled by the mass gun hysteria and excuse used for them.
….........
Talk about nut job land with even children in on the cowboy freakery. Safety for school/ What a terrible admission that one is and anyway doesn't help with school shootings being so frequent. Brought it on yourselves. You don't have to make head shaking incidents they are part of society.
…..........
That one about Russian planes leaning on Finland. How about the US navy leaning on mainland China? Considering you are in hock to that country seems a bit stupid.
…..........
Don'y worry jax the land of the free and home of the brave will deal with Saudi Arabia contradicting ex-colonial principles.........
….........
How can you be so infantile? Oh you like trying to be funny but fall back on the old hoary one about digging at the USA. It is so damn easy the way you act and you simple cannot answer the points about the police. It has been going on for ever over there and it is only nowadays it is getting more predominance and for very good reasons.

If your police cannot run after an unarmed man without gunning him with several bullets they are not trained right. The same applies to 30 odd officers shooting over 130 bullets at 2 unarmed in a car then that idiot on the bonnet pumping in dozens.  Every so often we see because of modern tv, mobile phones, etc, police beating people up sometimes more than one carrying out the battering, choking or whatever. Recently a documentary gave an insight into some mental institutions where the unifromed guards do not take on board the occupants have mental problems and beat them up and worse. It is obliviously a deep problem you have with cops.  Hey does anyone over there remember foot patrols instead of convoys of cars?
Imagine someone from nutjobland calling some other person elsewhere naive or zombie like! Sharing success is anew one for ex-colonists.

Reply #181
Northwestern Europe  (and NW India) cool exception to a near-global heatwave in June.

Reply #182
For those who didn't notice yet: Microsoft sacks 7,800 workers from smartphone unit

In Finland, the cuts concern 2300 workers, practically everyone who were working for what used to be the world-leading mobile phone producer Nokia. This is the last chapter of the Elop effect. Probably also death of Windows phones.

Reply #184
My first mobile phone well over 12 years ago was a Nokia. Pity way things have went for them.

Reply #185
Honestly I think it is good they got gutted. They had a toxic company culture, worse than Apple. We wouldn't want to be in a world ruled by "connecting people". That applies to the now-dead handset division, I've had no dealing with the rest, if they were any better.

Nokia changed Opera as well. If they hadn't wanted a phone browser back in the year 2000 things may have gone differently.

Reply #186
Both songs were written by Swedes, as were a number of other entries, so victory was imbedded.

So only the performers need to be from a particular country, not the composers?

Honestly I think it is good they got gutted. They had a toxic company culture, worse than Apple. We wouldn't want to be in a world ruled by "connecting people". That applies to the now-dead handset division, I've had no dealing with the rest, if they were any better.

Any thoughts on Jolla?

Reply #187
It seems that a Scottish "Baron" was caught having a cocaine line with prostitutes. Wow...
He's being crucified, the poor protestant "baron" at the land of protestants.

For the populace that knows shit about nobility titles, a "Baron" is a sort of title that anyone can buy. It's for life but not hereditary. Your children will keep on being the sons of mr Smith.
(That, of course, for the true European nobility from the continent, who knows cares about what they do at the old albion...)
Basically it serves for the Crown to get some welcome revenue.

I just love Protestant Inquisition.  :lol:
Would have they balls and they will immediately proclaim the "Baron" their King. They have no better than that.
Opps, I forgot, Prince Charles...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #188
Well I wonder what religion that Lord eSwel is in actual fact? When it comes to an inquisition superiority I will admit and give your corner the accolades for that direction and a long one at that. Boiled in oil, hung, drawn,quartered? As for future monarchs at least we still have them which is more than be said for your country which suffered badly. Being a subtle monarchist you are (tut-tut) being slightly mischievous).

Reply #189
(I think, in this case, I should follow the sensible advice of George Washington: "Avoid foreign entanglements" — specially the squabbling between petty European states! :) )
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #190

(I think, in this case, I should follow the sensible advice of George Washington: "Avoid foreign entanglements" — specially the squabbling between petty European states! :) )

Amen, Brother Oakdale.

Truth, we would have done well to heed George Washington's words on that from the beginning. Now we try to be the world's policeman/mommy, and look what we get. An enormous military budget (necessary if you're going to have influence in the far corners of the world) and people like RJ, Belfrager and Krake who spend all their time telling us how much worse we are at running the world than their respective countries were when they did it.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #191
Yup!
What do you suppose the chances are that Scotland, Portugal or Germany would like to foot the bill (in money, equipment and troops…) so we can retire and enjoy our dotage? :)
(I suspect mere spite would keep two of those three from it, regardless! :( )
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #192
Particularly when Mr. Putin comes visiting.

Reply #193

....and people like RJ, Belfrager and Krake who spend all their time telling us how much worse we are at running the world than their respective countries were when they did it.

According to one theory, all the trouble with Germany is due to the fact that Germany was the only major European power who never got a chance to run overseas colonies like others did. But I don't buy that theory. Germans had their chance long before there were any overseas. They ran the Hanse and colonised Czech, Prussia, and two Baltic countries beginning from the 12th century.

Reply #194

Amen, Brother Oakdale.

Now we try to be the world's policeman/mommy, and look what we get. An enormous military budget (necessary if you're going to have influence in the far corners of the world) and people like RJ, Belfrager and Krake who spend all their time telling us how much worse we are at running the world than their respective countries were when they did it.

Was Hitler the 'mommy' of the world? Was the British Empire the 'mommy' of the world? Has anybody asked them to become the 'mommy' of the world?
So far about past and actual 'mommies' of the world...
As for policeman of the world, between 20-30 millions of people killed as a result of US interventions around the world since WW2 - not a bad record at all...

Yup!
What do you suppose the chances are that Scotland, Portugal or Germany would like to foot the bill (in money, equipment and troops…) so we can retire and enjoy our dotage? :)

What holds you up from retiring? The tempting idea to rule the world?
The idea might be tempting, others had it as well in the past...

Reply #195
They say the sun never set on the British Empire-- because God couldn't trust them in the dark....
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #196
between 20-30 millions of people killed as a result of US interventions around the world since WW2

The U.S. is responsible for between 1 and 1.8 million deaths during the war between the Soviet Union and Afghanistan, by luring the Soviet Union into invading that nation.

Obviously, the Soviet Union bore no responsibility for what happened. Gotta love studies!

That said, the U.S. has been involved in too many foreign endeavors for far too long. The do-gooders got us involved in WWI. Then into WWII which the UK and Soviet Union were capable of handling without our involvement.

And now the China scare!
The news that Russia’s eastern Zabaikalsky region would grant 115,000 hectares of land to the Chinese company Huae Xinban under a 49-year lease stirred up a maelstrom of controversy and anxiety in Russia.  A survey conducted by Rosbalt shows that 50.5% of that news agency’s readers fear such a deal “provides fertile ground for China’s colonization and then annexation of Siberia, and for a major war.”

Oh, my!

Reply #197

between 20-30 millions of people killed as a result of US interventions around the world since WW2

The U.S. is responsible for between 1 and 1.8 million deaths during the war between the Soviet Union and Afghanistan, by luring the Soviet Union into invading that nation.

Obviously, the Soviet Union bore no responsibility for what happened. Gotta love studies!

Since you do not make any reference to the study you are quoting from and since you love studies, I'll be so kind to give you a few references as a start. :)

Civil casualties caused by "the world's greatest force for peace and freedom, for democracy and security and prosperity":
- Tirman, J. (2011). The deaths of others: the fate of civilians in America's wars. Oxford University Press
- Hagiopan et al. (2013) Mortality in Iraq Associated with the 2003-2011 War and Occupation: Findings from a National Cluster Sample Survey by the University Collaborative Iraq Mortality Study, PLoS Medicine / DOI: 10.1371/journal.pmed. 1001533
- IPPNW (2015). Casualty Figures after 10 Years of the "War on Terror" / Iraq - Afghanistan - Pakistan

In case you want to make your own study I can help you with a list of US wars and covert foreign regime change actions since WW2.
The list is by far not complete but even so it might keep you busy for the rest of your life.
---------

OT: It was me and not Ersi you've cited in your above post. Ersi is inocent. :)

Reply #198
The Economist has made a subsite for whatiffery. One is What if a NATO member comes under attack, the NATO members in question being Estonia and Latvia.

Reply #199

According to one theory, all the trouble with Germany is due to the fact that Germany was the only major European power who never got a chance to run overseas colonies like others did. But I don't buy that theory. Germans had their chance long before there were any overseas. They ran the Hanse and colonised Czech, Prussia, and two Baltic countries beginning from the 12th century.

If you refer as "Germany" anything before the unification in 1871 it gets tricky. It is possible to claim a continuity from then to now (Imperial Germany, Weimar Republic, Nazi Germany, Federal Republic of Germany/German Democratic Republic, Re-Unified Germany), but harder to claim a continuity before that.