Skip to main content
Topic: What's going on in Scandinavia, North Atlantic, Baltic States and Scotland? (Read 136097 times)

Re: What's going on in Scandinavia, North Atlantic, Baltic States and Scotland?

Reply #225
The National Library of Scotland is going to digitize about a third of its collection.

It will be a gateway to information on Scottish culture and history that will allow millions of people to view unique documents including manuscripts of major Scottish writers such as Robert Burns and Walter Scott, fascinating official reports on many subjects, thousands of films on life in Scotland, and — bringing things up to date — memorabilia from last year's referendum on Scottish independence, among many others.

Reply #226
The National Library of Scotland is going to digitize about a third of its collection.

I suppose that the English will decide what third would be and Scottish will applaud and be thankfull...
:lol:

Well, those who voted no for independence of course.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #227
I suppose that the English will decide what third would be and Scottish will applaud and be thankfull...

Thankfully, it's got bugger all to do with them.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #228
Now how is that Belfrager for an example of arrogant, emotional nationalism?
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #229
Now how is that Belfrager for an example of arrogant, emotional nationalism?

Said the britnat, who wraps himself in the union jack.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #230
Imagine such hypocritical guff from a man such as Luxor who is in with those who wrap themselves in the Scottish saltire as if they own it. They are so full of emotional guff and that is really contradictory! On Education, health service, oil they are at a loss. Some 15 of the SNP MP's are involved in property deals and one is in trouble directly. They dish out a six-figure sum to a pop festival to a company that makes millions. As for accusing me of wrapping in the Union Flag it really is a bit rich the way the Nats act on flags. That wench, Sturgeon is clever and manipulates the emotional strings of the modern jacobite mentality. Cuckoo Land.  :hat:

Reply #231
Cuckoo Land.

Must be a home-from-home for a zoomer like you then.

Reply #232
You are just like the legions of modern Jacobites. Not able to deal with the issues but like the yanks fall back on stupidity or smart alec waffle as the practice stuff is too awkward. Waving a flag and biting back the emotional tears is easy than face the truth.You fit the label well so keep it up.

Reply #233
Yeah: They'll reject anything that sounds like English, and then just weigh the rest and dump the pages until the scales balance!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #234
The modern Jacobites (viz the SNP lot) are grumping about the powers Scotland is getting. They couldn't accept the nReferndum and have been sniping since then instead of actually noting the broad base we are getting. They ignore the collapse in oil prices, the mass sackings in that industry, health probelms, education al as I said and if it rains too hard that will be Westminster's fault. In addition we would like to know about how they are going to cope financially with broad powers in taxation as well. That broad clever witch of a womasn, Sturgeon in a newspaper interview claimed she was basically shy. Aye right. Piffle because in a programme on her ages ago those that went to school with her said she was an active mouth yet in the newspaper claimed the opposite. Even when hit in the Edinburgh parliament on failings she will dance around and saying yes there are problems in areas that need attending. After 8 years they are still saying that so the usual emotional guff and saltire waving. The thing that saved Scotland in the past was the aftermath of the Union of Crowns at the Union of parliaments in 1707. The nation was more or less bankrupt and that lot even tried to claim Robert Burns as in their corner by quoting from a poetic comment. He was exercising a view on the method of transition then got a job in the united government as a customs officer!

On flag waving, Sturgeon said she would rather paint the flag on her face so do feel free gob mouth and cover your mouth while at it.  :lol:
I will give you your due OakdlaeFTL as you touch a valid corner!

Reply #235
A time back I was lambasting Scots independence supporters for the level of hate being expressed on the internet social groups and a modern Jacobite here scoffed tta that. Now the BBC has reported that the SNP leader has appealed to independence supporters to stop the vile and hateful stuff being perpetuated. She even had to admit that mindset was wrong in accusing Scots who are anti-independence of not being Scots.

Hallelujah, something i can agree with smart alec about!

Reply #236
Hmmmm.... I have a question. The term "Jacobite" gets thrown around quite a bit here. Seems to me the originals weren't just interested in Scottish independence. They had it in mind to take back the throne of England while they were at it--- and more than a few had Roman Catholic sympathies into the bargain.

Soooooo----- the question: Do modern Jacobites just want Scottish independence, or are they also trying to take back the throne of--- now-- the entire UK? What about religious sympathies? Are modern Jacobites largely RC, or are they Protestant? That could be important---- a Roman Catholic Jacobite faction with designs on the throne could be major trouble. It was last time.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #237
Hmmmm.... I have a question. The term "Jacobite" gets thrown around quite a bit here.

Only by rj and that's because the only place they exist is in his head.

Reply #238
Only by rj and that's because the only place they exist is in his head.
:)
But there do seem to be Papists… (The "stopped clock" phenomenon? :) )
进行 ...

Reply #239
But there do seem to be Papists… (The "stopped clock" phenomenon?  :)  )

True enough. They're easily identified though, so we can usually ignore them.  ;)

Reply #240
Oh, I knew fine Oakdale that luxor would come on with a sniffy attitude to my news on Sturgeon. As usual he adopts the normal snooty attitude of nationalists. When it comes to failures in Sturgeonism people like him instead slip into that hoity toity attitude because he and them cannot answer. A while back to be even more practical he tried to rubbish my stand on what was happening on the Net from the Luxor Brigadoon and modern jacobites. Now Sturgeon admitting their IS a problem is totally ignore by his mentality. His silly answer does however emphasise my Sturgeon intimation of guilt. Note that he ignored that.

ps Oakdale.

A few years ago the then big mouth leader of the SNP, Alex Salmond was going after the RC vote and started sooking in with the then Cardinal of the red socks corner. Unfortunately the Cardinal had to stand down as he was aqueer and tried it on with 3 young priests! Haha, brilliant!  :lol:

Reply #241
people like him instead slip into that hoity toity attitude because he and them cannot answer.

I can answer fine. I just can't be be arsed to waste my time with the likes of yourself.

Reply #242
You are still showing your arrogance, self-righteous and ignorance Luxor. In the past when negatives about the modern Jacobite neragtives in politcs you have never answered them. instead you try to be so would-be superior.  You fit in well with those legions who flocked to the Brigadoon banner and ignore the difficult pointsd. You might not be as bad as those balloons that your arrogant woman pal has had to roundly condemn but you are in the same corner practicing, well nothing. Very much in the same vein as that stupid woman I mentioned once at the bus stop. She should have stayed in the kitchen and you in the comic book shop.

Over the time the Scottish Nose Pickers have been in charge at Edinburgh there have been probs with the NHS, mass sackings in the oil industry that was meant to finance independence, time after time in the parliament when failures have been raised by the opposition she comes out with the guff that "yes there are problems but we are working on them. (!). That might keep the child minds all with kindergarten minds nodding whilst ignoring that they have had 6 years to solve them. So sneer and posture all you like as the fat of political life is a harder subject.

Reply #243
I take it, RJ, that Scots democracy is not -despite much longer practice- much better than what you accuse us ex-colonists of… :)
进行 ...

Reply #244
arrogance, self-righteous and ignorance

Three words that sum you up in a nutshell. Well done.

Reply #245

I take it, RJ, that Scots democracy is not -despite much longer practice- much better than what you accuse us ex-colonists of… :)

I sometimes suspect that RJ wants to go back to pre-Magna Carta days, when the King's word was law and none dare question it. Dispense with Parliament and America's Congress and let the monarch rule as monarchs should.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #246
A friend of mine bought a wrench from Estonia.
I think that it must be an huge increasing for the Estonian-Portuguese multilateral economic relationship. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #247

I think that it must be an huge increasing for the Estonian-Portuguese multilateral economic relationship. :)

For sure it is but on the other hand it might harm the Portuguese trade balance. :)

Reply #248
Does Portugal exitst as a country anymore…? Or only an item in the debit column of the EU? :)
进行 ...

Reply #249
The Norwegian army may have the answer to reducing sexism at work

The answer: It only takes endless abuse and living in cramped quarters.

(The picture is clearly not from Norway; the Norwegian army has funny hats too, but not those funny hats. The picture is likely from some amusement camp for misspent youth.)