Skip to main content

Poll

Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to own, carry, & use Firearms to defend their own lives, & the lives of their family & friends?

Absolutely Yes!
I thinks so.
I don't think so.
Definitely No!
My name isn't String, so let me have a icy cold beer so I can ponder the options...
Topic: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens Own, Carry, & Use Firearms? (Read 329493 times)

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #125

What do I think? - I think it's all rather hysterical.

But coming to the old, old joke about the "Right to Bare Arms", I note that progress has, indeed been made by the Bare Arms Movement

Right to Bare Arms

Unfortunately this means that we can all look forward to even more smelly armpits. Clearly regulation is the right way forward, criminals should only be allowed to have bare wrists, for example, and repeat criminals should loose the right to bare arms entirely, and ......

Naturally the State should issue masks for those badly affected.

Of course, some people will refuse to register their arms.

But that's the US of A.

There are worse things than bare arms.

Re: Gun Control - Should Ordinary Citizens be allowed to Own, Carry, & Use Firearms?

Reply #126
What a bum reaction.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #127
What a bum reaction.

And talking about importing bashing from Opera do try and check your own eye before waffling on someone else's .Russian ignorance on your part boy? Or that thread that went on for scores of pages on the juvenile minds over the pond and their childish love of guns?  It is here in all it's daftness. So you are falling well into just another example of the would-be frightfully, frightfully, would-be intellectual club mindset. That seems to have been imported here too just to ensure a broad outlook......!

ps. Bet this gun continuation goes on and on.

Reply #128

It will, but there are limits.
Open carry is legal in Texas, but nonetheless police arrested Derek Poe for carrying his AR-15 through the Parkdale Mall.

"Multiple witnesses claimed that they were 'terrified' and 'thought they were going to die,' according to Burnt Orange Report, a major Texas political blog. But Poe maintains he did nothing illegal. He told KBMT that "it was clearly obvious I didn't have criminal intent. I had a drink in one hand and a bag in the other. I didn't commit a crime. I legally carried a long arm in Texas."

Poe, a gun store owner, faces up to 180 days in jail and a $1,000 fine after his arrest for "disorderly conduct." The charge was brought by police on the grounds that he was carrying his weapon "in a manner calculated to alarm."

They're stealing my rights!
The AR-15.

Reply #129

A safe bet it will go on well after the last worm scrapes your bones of the final flesh ole man.

Tiocfaidh ár lá ...                             may the sad little Royal Scot rest restlessly in a bed of Irish thorns 

Reply #130
It ain't only guns!
Should Ordinary Chinese Citizens be allowed to Own, Carry, & Use knives?
An attack by knife-wielding men at a railway station in Kunming in south-west China has left at least 29 dead, the state news agency Xinhua says.

Another 130 people were wounded in what authorities said was a "premeditated, violent terrorist attack".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26403530

Reply #131

Open carry is legal in Texas, but nonetheless police arrested Derek Poe for carrying his AR-15 through the Parkdale Mall.

"Multiple witnesses claimed that they were 'terrified' and 'thought they were going to die,' according to Burnt Orange Report, a major Texas political blog. But Poe maintains he did nothing illegal. He told KBMT that "it was clearly obvious I didn't have criminal intent. I had a drink in one hand and a bag in the other. I didn't commit a crime. I legally carried a long arm in Texas."

Poe, a gun store owner, faces up to 180 days in jail and a $1,000 fine after his arrest for "disorderly conduct." The charge was brought by police on the grounds that he was carrying his weapon "in a manner calculated to alarm."

Not much smarter than that guy in New Jersey who keep his gun in the seat while being pulled over. Both men would be food for worms once LV MetroPD arrived. They may complain about "I did nothing illegal", but the part they don't get is they're lucky they didn't earn a Darwin Award. Short of earning dubious honors, they also fail to understand they're setting back their own cause by showing what the NRA's agenda would really look like in practice. He probably was just stupid and didn't have criminal intent, but how easy it to drop your drink and bag to open fire; in fact to use those effects in an attempt mask your malignant intent?

Reply #132
Great day in the morning!!! Is there something in the water that causes these "He-Man" types to do the dumbest things you can find to do with guns? They're always wanting to walk around like it's "The Day After The End of the World" or some such nonsense, ready for trouble at all times--- in the meantime, I've lived 58 years so far and never once been in a situation where a gun would have done me much good, most times it's just something else I'd have to be concerned about-- got plenty on my plate already, don't need a gun adding to the "festivities".
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #133
As I've said before, I have a gun but don't carry it with me. Frankly, I don't think it would do me much good, either. I have two water pistols for my grandboys that are lots of fun.

Reply #134

Great day in the morning!!! Is there something in the water that causes these "He-Man" types to do the dumbest things you can find to do with guns? They're always wanting to walk around like it's "The Day After The End of the World" or some such nonsense, ready for trouble at all times--- in the meantime, I've lived 58 years so far and never once been in a situation where a gun would have done me much good, most times it's just something else I'd have to be concerned about-- got plenty on my plate already, don't need a gun adding to the "festivities".

This dude must have fallen out of the stupid tree, & hit his head on every freekin' branch on the way down!

I'm glad that of the about 100,000,000 or so gun owners in America ( One Hundred Million for the decimally impaired ) that 99.9999% probably aren't so inclined.

While I understand & respect your "personal choice" when it comes to deciding if you'd ever need a firearm for protection, police records are replete with accounts of those that were carrying, & until an actual life threatening event, never needed to upholster their firearm either. I'm sure they were glad they live in a wonderful country where most everywhere they have the recognized right to make a "personal choice" to pack heat or not.

Reply #135
Smiley-- I've been in situations where having a gun would have CAUSED trouble rather than preventing it. Pulling the gun and trying to use it would have made things worse.

I occasionally make deliveries to places like nuclear power plants and military bases. When you pull up to the guard shack, both your vehicle and your person are searched--- and guns are a definite no-no. There is a list of contraband items that will at the very least bar you from entering the site; weapons, bombs,alcohol and drugs being near the top of the list. These guys aren't playing, either. They mean business. Call me stupid for not carrying all you want-- I remarked on Sang's post showing a couple of guys who displayed remarkable stupidity for the way they carried and where they chose to carry, and you say that I hit every branch on the stupid tree. I'll have to remember that-----.
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #136

As I've said before, I have a gun but don't carry it with me. Frankly, I don't think it would do me much good, either. I have two water pistols for my grandboys that are lots of fun.

Hint: Take this sort of picture from the side so you don't get the flash reflection and then take out perspective using Paintshop Pro or something.

Reply #137
Hint: Take this sort of picture from the side so you don't get the flash reflection and then take out perspective using Paintshop Pro or something.

I'd say if at all possible just take it during the day. Certainly simpler than editing it! :)

Reply #138
Call me stupid for not carrying all you want-- I remarked on Sang's post showing a couple of guys who displayed remarkable stupidity for the way they carried and where they chose to carry, and you say that I hit every branch on the stupid tree. I'll have to remember that-----.

The dude I was talkin' about wasn't you silly -- read the post Mike.

I doubt that I ever have called you stupid, & I sincerely doubt I ever would  -- You've expressed your needs, & situations, & I respect them.

If you have reason to believe otherwise, now's the time.

Reply #139
Nice job of editing after the fact. Don't think I didn't notice. This way, I look like I flew off the handle for no reason-- before editing, it looked like I just might have a point.

I fancy that keeping an eye on you might be good practice.

Reply #140
Nice job of editing after the fact

I was adding links & the pic at the bottom as a finishing touch/after-thought while you were probably reading it....you were posting during my edit revisions.

I have no desire to make you look bad, & never had you in mind when I was discrediting that asshole jaybro posted about, & who was later quoted by 'cooney, & subsequently yourself.

At the time I started developing my post, your post was the next to last post....the last post being jaybro's

My sometimes constant & incessant need to revise & detail my posts sometimes overlaps subsequent posts.....posts that I'm completely unaware of, as was in this case. You responded to my post prior to it being finalized, but if you read the post, it should be abundantly obvious I never meant you in any way, manner, or form.

I do not now, nor have I ever thought you as stupid.

The asshole strolling the mall ---- the actual 'Stupid' object of my scorn ---- with the AR-15 was stupid....not you.

I respect your positions & opinions.......Though I may not always agree.......sorry for your misunderstandings.

JFYI......I made at minimum of 3 revisions of the above (this post) spanning over 15 or so minutes, but I guess because it was still the last post, no edit remarks appeared until the last

EDIT: Maybe the problem is deeper, & not all mine ? ? ? ? ? ?       Exhibit 'A'

Reply #141
I witness there were no abuse to you before your post appeared, Mikey.

Reply #142
JFYI......I made at minimum of 3 revisions of the above (this post) spanning over 15 or so minutes, but I guess because it was still the last post, no edit remarks appeared until the last

It's time-bound, so you can still correct a few typos without it showing up as edited. It's currently set to 10 minutes. It's a bit of a balancing act, but I thought the default of 1.5 minutes was a bit short.

Reply #143
@Frenzie

Thanks......I like a longer 'adjustment period',  

1.5 minutes would be way too quick.

The only problem that exists here is that I was unaware of any subsequent posts to the one I was busy updating & correcting.

I think one reason might be because of the 'Modify Message' icon at the bottom of the post does not permit a Preview, unlike the top 'Modify' option which does provide for a Preview. The non-preview Modification option causes me to actually post in order to proofread the modification, & if I find something I modified--or forgot--unacceptable I need to repeat the process. This can cause problems when others can read the incorrect posts while I'm still proofreading & correcting. With a Preview the post actually never goes live until it's hopefully a final product.

Another reason might be that after a modification is made, I don't think subsequent posting is shown unless you additionally do a refresh of the page.

I think this was automatic in MyOPERA, but there's no way to verify this for MyOPERA exists no more.

Reply #144
Another reason might be that after a modification is made, I don't think subsequent posting is shown unless you additionally do a refresh of the page.

I think the point of it is to edit without any page refreshes. Whether that's actually a good thing is another matter. The "real" edit does warn you if new replies were made.

Reply #145
OK. Perhaps it was a mistake, a misunderstanding. Things happen, especially when we're dealing in print and can't see each others' faces which can tell so much in person-to-person communication. Besides, I hate carrying grudges, the doggone things get heavy after a short time.

Reply #146

.....Things happen, especially when we're dealing in print and can't see each others' faces which can tell so much in person-to-person communication. Besides, I hate carrying grudges, the doggone things get heavy after a short time.

“I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.”

I wholeheartedly agree......110%  

Reply #147
I wish someone really thoughtful over there could explain this.

The US Constitution in all the arguments over it mentions that the gun thing was in conjunction with a properly organised militia. No problem with the militia in a young country not yet full up so why the deuce is this thing about the right to carry arms when there is an army a National Guard a wide police force everywhere? Is this saying that having these normal parts of a definitive State ar just for some kind of show?

I watched a very tough interview in the BBC's Hard Talk programme with the former head of the NRA who advised all countries to be like America. Heaven forbid we give an open sesame to thousands of gun killings. But my point of query remains. Have I just missed a Militia because it is hidden....?

Reply #148

The US Constitution in all the arguments over it mentions that the gun thing was in conjunction with a properly organised militia. No problem with the militia in a young country not yet full up so why the deuce is this thing about the right to carry arms when there is an army a National Guard a wide police force everywhere?

The existence of the Second Amendment wasn't there so we can duck shoot, & target shoot, it was created so we could cast off any tyrannical government that in part or in total refused to abide by the Constitution , & honor the rights of the people as primarily outlined in the first 10 Amendments to the US Constitution   ---   The Bill of Rights.

A militia is simply any man, any woman, & any boy, any grandad, & any grandma...........any citizen of age capable of shooting &/or being trained to shoot in.

The Militia is not a National Guard, The Militia is not a police force, nor is the Militia a small unit in any army.

It is any citizen or group of citizens capable of joining in with another citizen or citizens in time of need....locally all the way up to nationally, using their own personally maintained weapons of choice, for defense against all foes either foreign or domestic --- to protect themselves, their families, their friends, & their property.

You may wish to argue need, but in the end it is not up to any person or government of the people to define.

Defining the need has always rested with the individual --- It is not a collective Right as defined by the Supreme Court, & as written, is not negotiable.

Reply #149

The US Constitution in all the arguments over it mentions that the gun thing was in conjunction with a properly organised militia. No problem with the militia in a young country not yet full up so why the deuce is this thing about the right to carry arms when there is an army a National Guard a wide police force everywhere?

The existence of the Second Amendment wasn't there so we can duck shoot, & target shoot, it was created so we could cast off any tyrannical government that in part or in total refused to abide by the Constitution , & honor the rights of the people as primarily outlined in the first 10 Amendments to the US Constitution   ---   The Bill of Rights.

A militia is simply any man, any woman, & any boy, any grandad, & any grandma...........any citizen of age capable of shooting &/or being trained to shoot in.

The Militia is not a National Guard, The Militia is not a police force, nor is the Militia a small unit in any army.

It is any citizen or group of citizens capable of joining in with another citizen or citizens in time of need....locally all the way up to nationally, using their own personally maintained weapons of choice, for defense against all foes either foreign or domestic --- to protect themselves, their families, their friends, & their property.

You may wish to argue need, but in the end it is not up to any person or government of the people to define.

Defining the need has always rested with the individual --- It is not a collective Right as defined by the Supreme Court, & as written, is not negotiable.

Correct. Now this isn't an argument against the right to bear arms, but back then citizens militias might have a chance against the US military (although in practice, they were unsuccessful as in Shay's Rebellion.) Today, you would need to turn substantial elements of the military itself to your side. Your AR-15 vs cruise missiles, etc? I don't think so. The romantic notion of militias being the saviors of representative government is a just that, a romantic fantasy.  I've read some pro-gun posters in other forums note (more like parrot) that the second amendment is the most important because it guarantees the liberties of the rest of the Bill of Rights. They don't know their potential enemy.