Skip to main content
Topic: Spring cleanup (Read 2783 times)

Spring cleanup

I deleted over 1440 supposed members last night, taking the number of member pages down from over 50 to 14.

• Everyone who registered over 14 days ago and still hasn't activated their account.
  • Members who have 0 posts, were last online a month ago, and have a website URL in their account info.
  • Lastly, the same as the above, but without a website URL. In this category I hand-picked three legitimate users who once registered but never did anything else. If I overlooked you because I thought your username and e-mail sounded suspicious, I apologize. The spammers make life worse for everyone. If you fell victim to an unfortunate deletion, please keep in mind you only need to register to post, not to read. :)

Re: Spring cleanup

Reply #1
Given the number of spam accounts that show up I was thinking you could find a way to make them pay for their trouble. I know ads aren't a direction anyone wants to go with but adding ads to the registration process, say - a YouTube video that gives the CAPTCHA after watching an ad, would produce at least some revenue for the continuance of the site without being bothersome to members.   

Reply #2
I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but the idea did occur to me that we could have a special area where Adverts could go, namely on a Ping called (aptly) "Adverts", with subdivisions for different categories of adverts. We could even signal displeasure at unpleasant ones by moving them to a sub division called "Trash". We could also have a spring cleaning every Week? Month? to refresh them and clean out junk and get more "subscriptions".

We could get paid by the "hit", although I would imagine the Trash would get more hits than most!

Reply #3
Well, we haven't received any legitimate ad requests yet. ;)

Spring cleanup

Reply #4
Anybody know the production figures for the spring edition model I know they were not limited but wondering if many are out there or if they will have some rarity?
Если дела идут плохо не ходи с ними.

Reply #5
OK I'll bite. The spring edition model of what exactly?
Whatever it is, it's not relevent to this thread.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.