Skip to main content
Topic: After XP — OS alternatives for Samsung NP? (Read 29608 times)

Re: After XP — OS alternatives for Samsung NP?

Reply #75
Hey, guys! You said "Linux/(x)Ubuntu", but am I free to choose an appropriate languge version?
I mean I hope nobody's tried to "localise" it - especially I hope no such localisation will be going to get enforced upon me.
For example, this current XP I use is forced upon my Samsung calling itself "Russian", but I hate such "Russian". I'd prefer normal English version - even not British, but the customers service said it was not possible to change UI language...

In Linux (as well as Windows 7, I should add) the language comes separately.

Reply #76
In my XP, I seem to lack any "select language" option for the overall interface. Do you mean the new Windows has it?

Reply #77
Select any language you like. It respects your choice. The default is English of course. Nothing will be imposed on you based on your perceived location or time zone or such.

I personally use a number of localisations. And for professional use, I need to have the support for several languages installed to do spell-checking etc. They don't conflict. If something doesn't work, the default is English.

Ah, concerning languages I remember one nasty experience with Antix Linux. I selected Estonian to boot it up, but the keyboard became Ethiopian :D You know Estonia? It's that tiny country between Eritrea and Ethiopia - in alphabetical order.

Reply #78
Apparently only in Enterprise (and Ultimate). But anyway, it's no concern in most Linux distros.

Reply #79
ׂ

Reply #80
Considering Josh's manners of going about his computers, Linux is the better choice for him. Linux would teach him to keep user tasks and admin tasks separate and rein in some of his recklessness.

Quote from: j7n
Help your friends and family get off Windows XP
Very funny, help them to move over to a far worse version of Windows... Thanks for the suggestion, MS. I am actively helping people move over from XP, and this means move away from Windows altogether.

Thank you, Ersi.

Reply #81
You welcome, Josh. Here's a little insight into Linux world for you - Review: Manjaro Netbook Edition

Reply #82
 Yeah, I saw that thread, thanks.  The insight though is slightly advanced to me.:)  If I do, I'll start with that "Live USB" probing, which Frenzie earlier suggested.
Right - not "if", but "when". That's how it seems to me now...

Reply #83
Here's a video of IceWM, a desktop lighter than Openbox, styled as XP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlgm5psBCQc There's also a link to the ISO itself. Unfortunately I didn't get it to boot to try. Hidden in the Zevenos.com website there are instructions in German on how to make their ISO's bootable, but I won't follow them for several reasons. IMHO it's an unnecessary limitation to have it not work by ordinary means, such as dd.

Reply #84

Yeah, I saw that thread, thanks.  The insight though is slightly advanced to me.:)  If I do, I'll start with that "Live USB" probing, which Frenzie earlier suggested.
Right - not "if", but "when". That's how it seems to me now...

www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html Try this one. Just ran across it looking for an ultra lite diagnostic .iso to run off a CD to check out a failing HDD in a friend's laptop.

It's a pretty hardy build to be so lite. Internet and mounting the HDD from liveUSB/CD no prob.

Reply #85
or embedded as a guest OS
What does this mean?

Reply #86
And what should I hit there?

Reply #87
I believe you could install it into Windows too.  Something to do with Virtualbox I'm sure. The Knoppix file system can't handle my desktop.

Reply #89
Embedded means (or meant at a time I tried an embedded Linux installation) that you download the thing to Windows and launch it from there, like any application, only you will get a faux additional OS window. The point of this is trying. Experiment.

Reply #91
That being said, I'm not sure if DSL is good for much besides experimentation. Sure, it's amazing if it's all you've got, but…

Reply #93
OpenSUSE (KDE) runs pretty good on netbooks of that caliber. Ran smoother than Linux Mint or Ubuntu on the one I tried that specs out about the same as josh's. DSL fit his qualification as a low resource net surfer. Simple enough to quench any reluctance I thought...

Reply #94
I made a live boot with OpenSUSE KDE one day. The bootups were very different on three different machines. The OS was as if probing and choosing the best way to get itself launched considering the particular resources. Looks like there's some wicked hardware detection automated into the boot process. Must be a good product. Even bluetooth works out of the box! This is uncommon with Linuxes, and worthy of special appreciation.

After XP — OS alternatives for Samsung NP

Reply #95
Why dont you just take it to the Samsung store for help...?
Если дела идут плохо не ходи с ними.