Skip to main content
Topic: After XP — OS alternatives for Samsung NP? (Read 29645 times)

Re: After XP — OS alternatives for Samsung NP?

Reply #50
ׂ

Reply #51
Quote from: Josh
its button jerked like a nipple.

I like nipples  :P

Reply #52
So, those are my hard's specs — now, I mean, what's the best to pick?
(Krake, who don't!?;))

Reply #54

Do you mean file associations by Metadata? (Which programs can open a file type.)

He probably means  IIM (IPTC) attributes in images or other media types.

@Josh
Of course you can.

Reply #55
And those "gigaherzes" then?

That's more important, but ultimately not that important either. You could find an i3 that also runs at 1.6GHz and it'd be a lot faster. In any case, the specs look like Windows 8 as well as most LInux distros should work—for Windows, Microsoft released some kind of tool.

It's the RAM I'm most worried about really. If you decide to go with Linux, you might want to look into zRAM.

So, those are my hard's specs — now, I mean, what's the best to pick?
(Krake, who don't!? ;) )

Windows 7 ran poorly on my broken netbook with similar specs while Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce ran quite nicely. But Windows 8 is technically an improvement over Windows 7—just not so much in the GUI.

In any case, you can try various Linux distros without harming your system in any way. I suggest you take a look. ;)

Reply #56
But Windows 8 is technically an improvement over Windows 7—just not so much in the GUI.
But does it relate to XP - in terms of basic interface and customisation? (About the looks, I've already taken some look↑.)
In any case, you can try various Linux distros without harming your system in any way. I suggest you take a look.

Thank you. Considering it:)

Reply #57
ׂ

Reply #59
Quote from: LiLi site
LiLi 2.8.27 now supports :

Fedora 20 "Heisenbug" Gnome/KDE/Xfce/LXDE/SoaS/Design
Sabayon 14.01 KDE/Gnome/Xfce
Linux Mint 16 "Petra" (KDE/Xfce) DVD
Kali Linux 1.0.5
Tails 0.22
gNewSense 3.0 (GNOME)
Voyager 13.10
Gparted Live CD 0.17.0-1
Parted Magic
Who're all those guys?

Reply #60
Who is LiLi?

Reply #63
I've never tried that, but I suppose it could work so long as your BIOS supports it.

Reply #64
How could I know that?
The system shows it similarly to any other ext.drive I use (USBs)... ???

Reply #65
You'd probably need to set it as a boot device with higher priority than your HDD in your BIOS. Typically it's entered by pressing F2 or DEL.

Reply #66
@Josh
Do you know how to set boot devices?
What are the programs and functions that you need running in the netbook?

It so happens that two days ago I made an unexpected acquisition. My sister bought a new fancy laptop with Win8 and hence wanted to get rid of a Packard Bell netbook that matches your specs. The netbook had Win7 on it and it had become really slow. Just to get that netbook with Win7 up and connected to internet took literally half an hour. Granted, she had Skype and tons of adware/malware/viruses fighting for CPU power at startup, but still, it's a systemic fault too.

I didn't try for long to speed up Win 7. I replaced it already with Linux distro called Manjaro Openbox 0.8.8. Boots up and gets connected in less than a minute now. This including the 5 seconds wait time at GRUB screen. Before installing Linux I tried it from bootable USB stick.

Within the same two days, my sister has begun to hate her new laptop with Win 8 and is jealous of the netbook she gave to me :)

I already modified it a bit. Manjaro Openbox is really minimalistic to begin with. I installed the battery icon and I modified the conky to display 24H clock. It didn't even have a web browser, so I installed Luakit. Luakit somewhat works on youtube. It displays some videos, not others, but fails at sound. As to sound, I installed tons of codecs, along with Mplayer and Vlc. Skype video and sound works. I installed Skype and tried. I made the touchpad scroll to work. Etc :)

Reply #67
ׂ

Reply #69

Do you know how to set boot devices?
No. I don't even know what that means...

As soon as you press the power button to start up your "nettop", begin beating F2 button frantically. A blue/gray screen presents itself. This is called BIOS. There you can move around with arrow keys, find the place where you can set the boot priorities. If you want to try other operating systems from USB stick, you will have to set USB HDD (in my netbook it was called this way) as the first priority.

...refreshing a clean XP package would, in my humble opinion...
???
What do you mean?

I suppose he means reinstalling XP, if the current installation really poses troubles for you. But mostly he means, if the current XP poses no serious trouble for you, if it works for everything you need, just let it be.

Reply #70
As soon as you press the power button to start up your "nettop", begin beating F2 button frantically. A blue/gray screen presents itself. This is called BIOS.
I have been there before.
Hey, Frans!!! I really appreciated your "experimental" quote and even was about to propose a new name for it! It was very useful and comfy for me - get it back.:/

Reply #71
If you want to try other operating systems from USB stick, you will have to set USB HDD (in my netbook it was called this way) as the first priority.
Is it so that the machine will start it at the boot instead of Windows or what?
And... Is it likely that such testing could corrupt or otherwise interfere with the Windows? How does it work, literally?

Reply #72
A LiveCD makes no changes to your computer unless you want it to. It simply loads an OS from a different location than your HDD.

Reply #73

If you want to try other operating systems from USB stick, you will have to set USB HDD (in my netbook it was called this way) as the first priority.
Is it so that the machine will start it at the boot instead of Windows or what?
And... Is it likely that such testing could corrupt or otherwise interfere with the Windows? How does it work, literally?
Exactly. When the boot order is changed, you will be booting up whatever is on the boot device (USB in this case) instead of what is installed in the netbook.

This booting won't do anything to the installed operating system. It will only begin to do things when you attempt to install it, but there's a clear difference between booting-up-and-trying versus installing. You will absolutely know when new installation begins, even if you begin it accidentally. Things inside the computer will only begin to change when you are several steps into the installing procedure.

Reply #74
Hey, guys! You said "Linux/(x)Ubuntu", but am I free to choose an appropriate languge version?
I mean I hope nobody's tried to "localise" it - especially I hope no such localisation will be going to get enforced upon me.
For example, this current XP I use is forced upon my Samsung calling itself "Russian", but I hate such "Russian". I'd prefer normal English version - even not British, but the customers service said it was not possible to change UI language...