Skip to main content
Topic: Same Sex Marriage (Read 56870 times)

Re: Same Sex Marriage

Reply #101
Howie's attention span doesn't cover punctuation… (That is, his attention doesn't cover the span of words separated by punctuation marks.) He only recognizes what facilitates his bilious intent.
Asking Howie to read again is like asking Vesuvius to un-erupt!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #103
Yet one more thread that has degenerated into personal attacks and vitriol.

Reply #105

First the car, second the bank account and third precious babies. To each culture it's own order of values.

Not so.
Read it again.

That was the order of the stolen "property" description, I don't know what you mean tt92.

JS hasn't bothered to defend himself, so I will presume to do so, without rancour.
What he said was "My son Josh, was yanked away from me in the middle of the night by my alcoholic/prescription-drug addicted wife who stole my car, my bank account and my precious baby son of 9 years old."
In English, that sentence structure puts the most important thing first, and last.
It says, in effect, "An important thing happened. Not only that, a couple of other things as well, and the important thing."

Reply #106
It says, in effect, "An important thing happened. Not only that, a couple of other things as well, and the important thing."

Yes...I see.  You speak logically backwards.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #107
 :yes:
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #108

Yes...I see.  You speak logically backwards.

Not logic. Rhetoric.

I have a preference for languages like English or Swedish that put the important, stressed, part of the sentence first, to languages like German or Czech that put it last. When encountering a multiple-clause-nesting soporiferous windbag, in languages of the second category, I will have to, for the most salient part of the sentence, attentively wait for the very end to parse and analyse the sentence in question, to discern matters that could be of interest to me, while after just the first couple words in English or Swedish I can blissfully snooze.

This is not what this is about, but to get the maximum report from the reader. The dramatic effect (or affect) is greater with a build-up to the largest issue, this doesn't depend on language, but the reader's empathy.

To make an example: "Known side effects of this cough medisine are:

• short dizzy spells if partaking in swirling dances less than an hour after taking the medicine

• a slight dryness of the throat when swallowing

• a temporary discolouration of the tongue

• a slow excruciating death by the excretion of the intestines in an explosive diarrhoea"

In this, slightly construed, example one of the side-effects is more noteworthy than the other three. Any side-effect after it will have less impact on the reader (a callous drug company could put it 2/3rd of the way to the end to reduce the risk of it getting noticed).

This ordering can be subverted. Douglas Adams was fond of book-ending an item of great importance with an utterly trivial one for a humorous effect. 

Reply #109
I have a preference for languages like English or Swedish that put the important, stressed, part of the sentence first, to languages like German or Czech that put it last.

Latin languages put it in the right place.
Too much wording for nothing.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #110
Cui bono? :)
进行 ...

Reply #111
Too much wording for nothing.

Little doubt left. You are rjhowie's long lost little brother.

Reply #112
I'm not so sure.Surely the parents of such a creature would have exposed it on a hillside.

Reply #113
ที่ได้รับการดูแล

Reply #114
:)
进行 ...

Reply #115
Little doubt left. You are rjhowie's long lost little brother.

You mean, I am the little brother of rjhowie, long ago lost.
Who I am? the little brother
Of who? rjhowie
Something else? yes, long ago lost.

Even for that same sex marriage would be an impossibility.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #116
Maybe an Irish hillside tt92? Now just think if Belfrager and I were found to be related a meeting meal in Lisbon would be an interesting event.

Reply #117
We can't ever be related, but I enjoy eating with the enemy, I can always poison them. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #118
 :lol:
James J

Reply #119
Ah, a Lucrezia Borgia follower!

Reply #121
And i bet you would do it subtly Belfrager.  8)

Reply #122
Poisoning is a lost art since Americans and their irritating pistols rules the world...
A matter of attitude.

Reply #123
Poisoning is a lost art since Americans and their irritating pistols rules the world...
Or it has been perfected! (Few practitioners are found out…! :) ) Or do you only bemoan amateurs and incompetents retiring from the fray? :)
进行 ...

Reply #124

One part Portuguese financial wizardry plus one part henbane=Belfrager's toxic assessment of America's role in the world. :zzz: Keep up the good work Mr. Belfrager. :zzz: