Skip to main content
Topic: Does Isis Threaten Us? (Read 4389 times)

Does Isis Threaten Us?

Of course by 'us' I mean the countries of our posters.

ISIS is all over the news. Frankly, it poses little threat outside of the region of Syria, Iraq, Egypt and Afghanistan, and that will stop when the countries of the region take concerted action in particular Iran.

Re: Does Isis Threaten Us?

Reply #1
Define "threat". It does affect us though. The number of refugees to Sweden is soaring to a level well beyond what it was during the wars in Yugoslavia, highest ever in absolute terms, and I think in relative terms as well.

Now, that was not all ISIL's doing. They didn't start the civil war in Syria, they just took advantage of it. But their brand of terror means more people fleeing, particularly minorities, and many of them end up in Sweden. Many Assyrians in my hometown have relatives among those villagers who were kidnapped by ISIL.

On the other side couple hundred Swedes have heard the Youtube call and joined ISIL, mostly youth, and will likely end up dead, maimed, or  traumatised.

Reply #2
Define "threat".

Not an existential threat, but one that matters to the extent that it does in the Middle East.

9/11 caused public trauma, but was not existential by any means. Weak regimes in the Middle East could fall, particularly when the armed forces in Iraq dropped their weapons and turned tail. Certainly, no country in Europe is existentially threatened.

Reply #3
Does Isis Threaten Us?

Yes it does but not directly. It's my believe they were created (or at least left free) for justifying western governments to restrict our freedoms even much more than they already do. "For our safety" of course.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #5
Which freedoms have been restricted.

It used to be that you needed a judge's permission to monitor someone's communications, at least in what we like to call the free world. Also freedom of movement is far more impaired than it used to be, although for the most part I don't believe that has much to do with terrorism. (For all its annoyance, the security theater is mostly just a bothersome exercise in futility. I'm talking about increased restrictions on migration.)

Reply #6
It used to be that you needed a judge's permission to monitor someone's communications, at least in what we like to call the free world.

Oh wait, a court in The Hague struck down one of the privacy invading measures as being contradictory to the European agreement for human rights just this morning. W00t! :P

Reply #7

Which freedoms have been restricted.

It used to be that you needed a judge's permission to monitor someone's communications, at least in what we like to call the free world. Also freedom of movement is far more impaired than it used to be, although for the most part I don't believe that has much to do with terrorism. (For all its annoyance, the security theater is mostly just a bothersome exercise in futility. I'm talking about increased restrictions on migration.)
I'm trying to get a handle on this. Is this personal to any degree?

I live a very local existence contrary to my earlier days when I wandered from Detroit to Hawaii, Guam, the Philippines, and to Korea for a couple of years.
========================================
PS I'm wearing black socks today.  :D
If it's not terrorism, what is it? Why the restrictions, and have they impacted you?

Some folks here would like to see more restriction on immigration, Mr. Howie for example who isn't happy with the number of Middle Eastern immigrants in Great Britain.

Reply #8

While I share the sentiment, that has nothing to do with ISIL. All that happened years back, when ISIL was just another homicidal insurgency group in Iraq.

The only additional freedom that is in line to be subtracted or restricted is the freedom to travel to Syria and Iraq.

Reply #9
I'm trying to get a handle on this. Is this personal to any degree?

Not really. I have one of the best nationalities and a sufficient degree of affluence for migrating just about anywhere I want. The American nationality, for instance, is probably worse than nationalities from the Benelux, Scandinavia or Canada. Several countries (like Brazil) have tightened up to Americans in retaliation. Which is kind of weird because we're really not any more welcoming, but that aside.

Some folks here would like to see more restriction on immigration, Mr. Howie for example who isn't happy with the number of Middle Eastern immigrants in Great Britain.

With immigration at record lows, it's hard to imagine even more restrictions than there already are. I believe the UK also long since ceased unquestioningly accepting immigrants from all over the former Empire.

While I share the sentiment, that has nothing to do with ISIL. All that happened years back, when ISIL was just another homicidal insurgency group in Iraq.

Sure.

Reply #10
I do pickup and delivery at a major international airport (Chicago's O'Hare airport). Have I seen changes? You bet I have. Travel has become more restrictive, and the assumption of guilt until proven innocent, assumption that just by being there you consent to the most invasive searches of person and property, and in general the TSA total disregard for you, the traveling public-- you get to see it.

Used to be, when I brought something in to ship out, there was an airbill to fill out and that was about it. Now there's TSA paperwork into the bargain, and while at my end it's not too bad, it's still more than used to be--- and way more government nose in my business than there was years back. Funny thing, none of that paperwork actually stops somebody from shipping something that ought not to be shipped......
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #11
We have already had situations and arrests regarding fighters coming back here so that prehistoric nutcase lot IS are a threat.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #12
Funny thing, none of that paperwork actually stops somebody from shipping something that ought not to be shipped......

Huh. That's weird. So you're saying somebody can misreport on all that paperwork what they plan on shipping. Nah, that never happens:left: Nope. And no sarcasm here either :left:

Reply #13
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Keep your head down, Michael!
NASA's Mars Rover Opportunity is investigating a metallic meteorite the size of a large watermelon that is providing researchers more details about the Red Planet's environmental history. The rock, dubbed "Block Island," is larger than any other known meteorite on Mars.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090810175658.htm