Skip to main content
Topic: Today's Bad News (Read 117387 times)

Re: Today's Bad News

Reply #351
So, he is denied to deny.
Permission denied to deny
(That was funny...)
Since my English is far from being perfect, it might sound a little bit confusing. :)
The USA as many other countries has its own strict safety regulations concerning the safety of its president and his family.
A president is subject to those regulations no matter if the president can afford its own private security guard (AFAIK Trump has also his own private one) or not.

Reply #352
Since my English is far from being perfect, it might sound a little bit confusing.  :)
The English is fine, but it'd probably be clearer to say something like "he is required to." In any language. :P

Reply #353
The English may be fine, but the Washington Post article says that the costs are due to the entourage that Trump likes to invite along and keep around himself, not (only) due to security guys. It doesn't take more security guys to protect him than it took to protect Obama, does it? The costs are due to the fact that Trump likes to arrange official meetings out of town in his personal fav places, not at the White House, Camp David, and other presidential residences specifically designed for that.

Reply #354
Well, Trump likes to travel with friends, and that costs more.

Reply #355
It doesn't take more security guys to protect him than it took to protect Obama, does it?

It does and you don't even have to read the 'respectable' WaPo to realise it. ;)
1. Assuming Trump is spending the night in his Trump Tower.
What does your logic tell you - which building is easier to safeguard? A skyscraper located in a public area or the White House?
Besides, the White House has to be safeguarded all the time regardless of the president's whereabout.
2. AFAIK Trump's wife and children are not living in the White House.
So there are extra objectives which have to be safeguarded, which means additional costs.
Two examples which might help you to make the difference.

Whatever, those extra costs are a drop of water from an ocean compared to other insane spendings of tax money.
You could easily find out yourself by googling for the cost of one week Iraq war or the annually costs of 'pacifying' Afghanistan or the costs of military bases around the world. Bear in mind that I gave you only a few examples while a more detailed list would be really, really, really huge. :)
So after all it's not the insane spending of tax money some hypocritical journalists are mourning about...

Reply #356
It doesn't take more security guys to protect him than it took to protect Obama, does it?

It does and you don't even have to read the 'respectable' WaPo to realise it. ;)
1. Assuming Trump is spending the night in his Trump Tower.
What does your logic tell you - which building is easier to safeguard? A skyscraper located in a public area or the White House?
Besides, the White House has to be safeguarded all the time regardless of the president's whereabout.
2. AFAIK Trump's wife and children are not living in the White House.
So there are extra objectives which have to be safeguarded, which means additional costs.
Two examples which might help you to make the difference.
It costs the same to protect any guy on the same terms. Trump costs more because he changes the terms. He makes himself more expensive, that's all there is to it.

Reply #357
^ I see that Donald Trump collaborators have begun spamming the site.

Reply #358
They could get plenty of tips from a whole army of damn security organisations over there......
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #361
English would have been better......

Reply #362
Frenzie, the "Great Leader" is teaching the masses the beauties of Holland language. Dutch language is good because you can't be accused of knowing German and you can't be accused of knowing English, that's their dream, being both while being nothing.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #363
That picture from Mr. Tennessee reminds us of one of the worst places to live in the world. It is a truly well placed example of genuine evil dictatorship.  I have always said that America makes a farce of itself boasting about being the world's greatest power (with much practical verification of that) whilst so many over there are in a bad way but what it has being saying regarding N. Korea has a good side.

By that I mean the US has said publicly it does not wish to go into removing the nutter that runs N. Korea and has also repeatedly said would prefer dialogue with the North on a reasonable basis. Unfortunately for that degree of sensible will from America the evil and horrible Korean cruel madhouse is not interested. Even being stuck with Trump the constructive  stance by the USA is to it's great credit. Nor does it matter who is in the White House as the North is such a cruel, ignorant and brain drainer they will not allow any decency or discussing.

Reply #364
Frenzie, the "Great Leader" is teaching the masses the beauties of Holland language. Dutch language is good because you can't be accused of knowing German and you can't be accused of knowing English, that's their dream, being both while being nothing.
Darn, I've been found out!

Reply #365
A sense of humor is truly the best armor! :)  I personally refuse duels when the weapons are broadswords… Usually.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #366
I just found out that Jerry Pournelle passed away yesterday. He'll be greatly missed.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #367
Never heard of him but suppose that doesn't matter as I don't live in nutjobland (although this is meant to be an international site here!).

Reply #368
He was a significant SF writer, though frankly not one I enjoyed (neither his collaborator Niven). I may or may have not met him, I am fuzzy about that. I think not, and it would anyway just have been in the passing.

In the real world it was not his fiction, but his opinons that made him known. A quite American outlook, and generational. He belonged to the space age, and by now not only is that age gone, but also most of its people.

My impression from nearly maybe having met, a few degrees of separation, and his non-fiction (which I read far more of), is that he was a decent human being.

Reply #369
I enjoyed The Mote in God's Eye sometime early in the previous decade. Besides that I have no familiarity with the man.

Reply #371
It is a shame and a sad musical historical loss.

Reply #372
Trump recognizes Jerusalem as Israel's capital, defying allies, foes
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu hailed Trump’s announcement as a “historic landmark,” but other close Western allies of Washington such as Britain and France were critical.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said the United States abdicated its role as a mediator in peace efforts, and Palestinian secular and Islamist factions called for a general strike and rallies on Thursday to protest.

The international community does not recognize Israeli sovereignty over the entire city, believing its status should be resolved in negotiations. No other country has its embassy in Jerusalem.

[...]

Trump’s decision risks further inflaming a region already grappling with conflict in Syria, Iraq and Yemen.

Reply #373
An utter disgrace what trump has done.

Mind you when you think of the deep evangelicals (I'm Prot but not that corner) and the power of Jews in America and the money corner it is hardly surprising but is still a damn disgrace. Those two groups apart from being powerful are vote grabbers. Several countries have came out against it and will not be moving their embassies. Mind you the guff propaganda mentality stuff 'America first' is the theme and peace will be a foreign word in the Middle est. Shameful.

Reply #374
Hamas (link to one of the most despicable documents written in recent memory) is not a fringe group. On the one hand they deny the Holocaust, and then they say the Holocaust should've happened and they will make sure it does. Which is pretty much the only thing more despicable than denying the Holocaust. Such is the moral difference between the democratic state of Israel, which has the power to do whatever it wants but chooses not to, and its enemies that say they have the explicit intent of committing genocide. Tacit support of these terrorists is our disgrace.

There hasn't been any "peace process" in the Middle East for over a decade. Informally most of the Arab world has long since accepted the status quo. Trump's usual diplomatic blundering doesn't change a thing for Israel or surrounding nations, but by going against the (however wrong) international consensus Trump is reducing the relevancy of the United States, yet again. That's annoying and sad.

Various former US presidential candidates, from Clinton to young Bush to Obama, promised doing exactly this during their campaigns![1] The only people who should be blamed are those who said we shouldn't take Trump's campaign promises seriously because he wouldn't go through with them.

PS Here's an ad from the Republican-Jewish coalition in today's NYT.

PPS Reading between the lines, I'm sure the Saudis gave their A-OK.
Or so claims the right-wing http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/06/flashback-all-the-times-past-presidents-promised-to-move-us-embassy-to-jerusalem/ Perhaps I'm wrong to assume they wouldn't lie about something so easily falsifiable, bu it does seem to agree with the broad strokes of my own memory and I'm feeling lazy. In any case Congress already decided on this back in 1995.