Skip to main content
Topic: Today's Bad News (Read 117141 times)

Re: Today's Bad News

Reply #400
When pharma corps take doctors to promo seminars (with all-included meals, housing, and recreation) and the regulatory framework permits to incentivise treating every problem with drugs, then what did you expect?
Well... the best wealth system in the world.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #401
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usIcKOp0l1Y[/video]

Eli the Computer Guy - once upon a time a nice actual computer guy whose tutorials I used when I built my own first computer but these days he is just an irked commentator on news - mouths off about the travel authorisation system that the EU will slap at US citizens beginning 2021. I agree with him on the most important points: Yup, it is a visa in everything but name and it is stupid and EU sucks. "There's Europe for you."

However, he ignores that the US has been doing this exact same thing to EU citizens throughout the post-911 era, a "visa waiver program" involving an application to get authorised entry to the country. It is an actual visa procedure to get your visa waived, so to say. At first the procedure cost USD 5, now it is USD 14 I hear, but soon will be 20 I'm sure.

So from my point of view there are a bunch of more things that suck. US sucks because they did it first. EU sucks for having been so slow to catch up to the reality. And, truly, EU sucks for failure to have a civilising effect on US and to make them stop their idiocies. Instead we end up emulating them.

Reply #402
Notre-Dame de Paris on fire :(

Reply #404
In New York, which I visited before Paris, I saw churches that I suspected were small copies of Paris' Notre-Dame. Then in Paris I was surprised to see how tiny Notre-Dame is. St-Eustache is far more impressive in my opinion. But of course I don't want any of them to burn.

Reply #405
It's also a handful of centuries more recent. But yes, I'd also expected it to be slightly larger.

Reply #406
Notre-Dame de Paris may be tons more valuable in many ways, but for me it was hard to appreciate as a tourist, because other tourists were in the way. Too many people in too small space. Whereas St-Eustache was basically empty while also being much bigger and taller, so I could take my time to appreciate every corner. And there are lots of corners to appreciate. It is of somewhat irregular plan, different parts from different ages.

Similarly from a tourist's convenience point of view, Eiffel tower is not worth it. Too overcrowded and you do not get very high. Take Tour Montparnasse instead:
- you'll get higher
- faster
- cheaper
- bonus: excellent photographic/selfie-worthy view towards the Eiffel tower.

Reply #407
However, he ignores that the US has been doing this exact same thing to EU citizens throughout the post-911 era, a "visa waiver program" involving an application to get authorised entry to the country. It is an actual visa procedure to get your visa waived, so to say. At first the procedure cost USD 5, now it is USD 14 I hear, but soon will be 20 I'm sure.

My favourite tit-for-tat would be to have Visa waivers for all but residents of a dozen US states.  That would be true reciprocity.

Reply #408

US now seeking social media details from all visa applicants

The State Department is now requiring nearly all applicants for U.S. visas to submit their social media usernames, previous email addresses and phone numbers. It’s a vast expansion of the Trump administration’s enhanced screening of potential immigrants and visitors.

[...]

Social media, email and phone number histories had only been sought in the past from applicants who were identified for extra scrutiny, such as people who’d traveled to areas controlled by terrorist organizations. An estimated 65,000 applicants per year had fallen into that category.

[...]

The new rules apply to virtually all applicants for immigrant and nonimmigrant visas.... The new visa application forms list a number of social media platforms and require the applicant to provide any account names they may have had on them over the previous five years. They also give applicants the option to volunteer information about social media accounts on platforms not listed on the form.
My next trip to USA will occur early next year. We'll see how bad it is. Already, there is a requirement in place that people's smartphones, tablets, and ereaders should be charged so that they switch on upon the officials' request when they want to take a look at/into them. If not, get lost.

By these rules, a trip to USA has become about as inconvenient as a trip to Russia.

Reply #409
Takes a lot to get me to fly vs drive.

Reply #410
Even back in '08 when I first visited the US (and you could basically just fly out instead of having to make preparations) American customs was already an obnoxious affair.
Takes a lot to get me to fly vs drive.
I prefer a train if reasonably possible. :)

Reply #411
I'd definitively like that to be more reasonable here.

Reply #412
But yeah, it'd need to be 5+ hours for me to consider flying, since realistically that takes a minimum of about 4 hours anyway. Perhaps you could take it down to 3 if it's from a smaller airport (like Antwerp Airport to London or Manchester). You may not need to include a 60 minute safety margin for security checks, since there aren't 50 million flights leaving.

Then again, a 2 hour train ride from Brussels to St Pancras may still be much more comfortable and even faster in total, depending a bit on where in London you have to be. (The total would be about 4 since you need to get to Brussels South on time, but not nearly as on time as for a plane.)

PS I've never actually been to London unless you count a few layovers at Heathrow. Just brainstorming. ;)

Reply #413
US customs/border controls were already more unpleasant than any other I have come across, and I got the tail end of East Germany. That's OK with me. If they don't want me to come, I don't need to go.

The trick to enter the US is to have two profiles on your phone and/or PC. One, the one you enter the US with, is a dummy one. If they insist on unlocking or more they will get a handful of nothing. All the new regulations introduce is a level of forward thinking. With five years of social media, you just have to prepare for 2024. In the meantime borrow a dummy profile for Facebook etc, rename them suitably to look like yours. When you return home, you can give the profile back to the original owner.

Reply #414
If they don't want me to come, I don't need to go.
The US economy has definitely missed out on more of my tourism due to this simple fact. There are so many places where you can spend money that don't treat you like a suspicious criminal at the border.

Reply #415

It will be tomorrow, the 29 of July 2019.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #416
Bob Norris, Marlboro Man and Colorado Springs
philanthropist, dies

At one point, his ranch was selected as the location for
a Marlboro cigarette ad. When advertising agency
executives arrived, with their models and Western wear,
they saw a more authentic cowboy in Norris, and asked
him to star as the Marlboro Man. He appeared in ads for 
the next dozen years. Ironically, Norris never smoked.
Never smoked. And died. Double sad news.

Reply #417

US now seeking social media details from all visa applicants

The State Department is now requiring nearly all applicants for U.S. visas to submit their social media usernames, previous email addresses and phone numbers. It’s a vast expansion of the Trump administration’s enhanced screening of potential immigrants and visitors.

[...]

Social media, email and phone number histories had only been sought in the past from applicants who were identified for extra scrutiny, such as people who’d traveled to areas controlled by terrorist organizations. An estimated 65,000 applicants per year had fallen into that category.

[...]

The new rules apply to virtually all applicants for immigrant and nonimmigrant visas.... The new visa application forms list a number of social media platforms and require the applicant to provide any account names they may have had on them over the previous five years. They also give applicants the option to volunteer information about social media accounts on platforms not listed on the form.
My next trip to USA will occur early next year. We'll see how bad it is. Already, there is a requirement in place that people's smartphones, tablets, and ereaders should be charged so that they switch on upon the officials' request when they want to take a look at/into them. If not, get lost.

By these rules, a trip to USA has become about as inconvenient as a trip to Russia.

Hopefully my fellow citizens will have enough sense to throw asshole m’f’er out next November. Perhaps Bloomberg can gather some momentum?

None of the state department’s business regarding your social media, etc.

Reply #418
I've got some experience with vetting tenants for leases and such. While I've never required the login, there's a lot that can be learned from what people make public information. (For argument's sake)

Reply #419
.........Hopefully my fellow citizens will have enough sense to throw asshole m'f'er out next November. Perhaps Bloomberg can gather some momentum?

None of the state department's business regarding your social media, etc.

Well, long time Nick!!!

How goes it?

Sorry ya feel the way ya do, but IMHO, it seems you have taken an unfortunate hard turn to the Left.....

Please say it ain't so!!

As far as I'm concerned I feel the government (any government) has absolutely no right whatsoever into a Law-Abiding American Citizen's personal information, & social media activity. But, unfortunately that bronco has already bolted out the corral 30 years or so ago. They are already there.....these new regs are just a smokescreen to cover the governments 'real' objectives.

That said, the World changed one September morn, & like it or not, I've had to endure inconveniences over the years too......but to me it's not 'the end of the world', & in this case I feel....much to my chagrin....I can almost understand why the government is doing what it is.  It is a proven fact that the District Courts don't like it when the same rules don't apply to all, especially those with sand in their shoes, so in order to eliminate those wolves the government has to target to protect us all, they have to aim higher, & seemingly aim for a broader circle of targets, causing possible collateral damage amongst us mostly innocent folk .......Our overall legitimate Freedom & Liberty....though takin' an uncomfortable hit....is probably better served knowin' that the real bad guys are bein' seen to before they cross out doorstep.

Now, Michael Bloomberg, that petulant, ex-NYC Mayor, Anti-Second Amendment flee bag needs to be summarily euthanized............politically.

So far the gun-totin' Right, myself proudly included, along with the hard good work of the NRA & others, has held him & his ilk in check, but his billions make him a difficult adversary.

Nick, sincerely, if Bloomberg ever did get his Extreme-Left tentacles into the oval office, you might as well rip up the Bill of Rights, & study up on Europe's slide to the bottom.....because America will be forced to rollin' with that pack in no time flat!

Well, I hope all's good with you & yours........good to see ya again.......I do stop by every now & then, but bein' retired  is keepin' me busier now than when I was actually makin my daily do.......'till we cross paths again.......all the best

In times of universal deceit, telling the honest truth is a revolutionary act.

Reply #421
.........Hopefully my fellow citizens will have enough sense to throw asshole m'f'er out next November. Perhaps Bloomberg can gather some momentum?

None of the state department's business regarding your social media, etc.

Well, long time Nick!!!

How goes it?

Sorry ya feel the way ya do, but IMHO, it seems you have taken an unfortunate hard turn to the Left.....

Please say it ain't so!!

As far as I'm concerned I feel the government (any government) has absolutely no right whatsoever into a Law-Abiding American Citizen's personal information, & social media activity. But, unfortunately that bronco has already bolted out the corral 30 years or so ago. They are already there.....these new regs are just a smokescreen to cover the governments 'real' objectives.

That said, the World changed one September morn, & like it or not, I've had to endure inconveniences over the years too......but to me it's not 'the end of the world', & in this case I feel....much to my chagrin....I can almost understand why the government is doing what it is.  It is a proven fact that the District Courts don't like it when the same rules don't apply to all, especially those with sand in their shoes, so in order to eliminate those wolves the government has to target to protect us all, they have to aim higher, & seemingly aim for a broader circle of targets, causing possible collateral damage amongst us mostly innocent folk .......Our overall legitimate Freedom & Liberty....though takin' an uncomfortable hit....is probably better served knowin' that the real bad guys are bein' seen to before they cross out doorstep.

Now, Michael Bloomberg, that petulant, ex-NYC Mayor, Anti-Second Amendment flee bag needs to be summarily euthanized............politically.

So far the gun-totin' Right, myself proudly included, along with the hard good work of the NRA & others, has held him & his ilk in check, but his billions make him a difficult adversary.

Nick, sincerely, if Bloomberg ever did get his Extreme-Left tentacles into the oval office, you might as well rip up the Bill of Rights, & study up on Europe's slide to the bottom.....because America will be forced to rollin' with that pack in no time flat!

Well, I hope all's good with you & yours........good to see ya again.......I do stop by every now & then, but bein' retired  is keepin' me busier now than when I was actually makin my daily do.......'till we cross paths again.......all the best

:cheers: to you good Sir! Hope you and your family have been well! Mine certainly have.

I’ve spent the last few years in the corporate manufacturing world. Building up some cash, representing fellow workers with grievances to management, etc. Stock market has been very kind to me of late, of which that is the only nod I’ll give of gratitude to the incumbent president. Everything else, he continues to set us back by decades, especially in worker’s rights.

I still am not completely in disagreement with you politically, as in you and I retain similar views on the 2nd Amendment, but I still also remain very firmly in the #NeverTrump camp.

Glad to hear you are doing well and retirement is keeping you busy, ya old codger! :D

Reply #423
Apparently the US national archives think that altering photographs constitutes not engaging in the political debate.

"we blurred references to the President’s name on some posters, so as not to engage in current political controversy"
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/478903-national-archives-says-it-altered-womens-march-photo-to-blur

Reply #424
Drumpf was acquitted yesterday by a 52-48 margin.
Only Republican to vote to convict was Mitt Romney.