Skip to main content
Topic: Famous and Not So Famous Quotes (Read 4307 times)

Famous and Not So Famous Quotes

I ran into one recently quite by accident, badly dated and very Republican. It came in the testimony of Harry Anslinger in a Congressional hearing.
"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US,
and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers.
Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage.
This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations
with Negroes, entertainers and any others."

Harry J. Anslinger, testimony to Congress, 1937

And...
“By the tons it is coming into this country — the deadly, dreadful poison that racks and tears not only the body, but the very heart and soul of every human being who once becomes a slave to it in any of its cruel and devastating forms…. Marihuana is a short cut to the insane asylum. Smoke marihuana cigarettes for a month and what was once your brain will be nothing but a storehouse of horrid specters. Hasheesh makes a murderer who kills for the love of killing out of the mildest mannered man who ever laughed at the idea that any habit could ever get him….”

I find this one both interesting and worthy of discussion from an historical perspective. It is certainly absurd, although in a way it still exists in this country.

Re: Famous and Not So Famous Quotes

Reply #1
I find your fascination with Mary J interesting and worthy of discussion as well. :)

Regarding the OP:
Prohibition mindsets that misrepresented narcotics led to a deep misunderstanding of them.  

Reply #2
Never done it!

Reply #3
Curious nonetheless. ;)

Reply #5
You mean peculiar, don't you?

Nah, Not really.

The medical marijuana debate has sparked some curiosity from your generation I've noticed. My parents would probably of accepted the above quotes as an accurate depiction...  At one time. All drugs were classified as no-nos and the same. A horrible way to look at it and the "gateway" drug concept materialized. Marijuana not being as harsh as described was damaging in that it opened the door to misconceptions of other substances. 

Reply #7
My apologies, Jaygod.

(Please don't smite me!  :insane:)

Reply #9
Sorry to hear senility (…or substance abuse) has curtailed your powers of observation, Bel. Santayana said something about that (although it's often been misquoted): Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. :)

I await your re-post. (Riposte?)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #10
Is this a thread about quotations or about the Herb Superb?

Reply #11
I think it was 1966 or 1967 — our lead singer was driving us home from our latest "rehearsal" along Memorial Drive (in Cambridge, MA) when he mused "Wonder what it would be like, to drive with one's eyes closed?"
He (luckily, for the rest of us…) jumped the curb and almost drove us into the Charles River!
Autos weren't very "safe" back then.

Our bass-player, a few years later, working for a sign-making company (as had I…), lost the two middle fingers of his right hand — and swore: It was on the only day he hadn't smoked!
He got a big settlement.

I'm not one to preach. But whatever makes you stupid is probably bad for you. (Yet I continue to drink… Maybe I don't like myself so much?) Should we encourage -by legalization- the enstupidation of a whole generation?
— Because it makes us feel less like hypocrites?

Screw how I feel, youngin's: Use your brains!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #12
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.  :)

I await your re-post. (Riposte?)

Ripostar, yes, my pleasure.
... until doomsday arrives.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #14
Here I Stand. God Help Me, I Can Do No Other.....

A great man (oops Belfrager)!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #15
Were I wrong and there would be no need for hundreds against me, one would be enough.
A matter of attitude.