Skip to main content
Topic: Introducing Otter Browser (Read 16335 times)

Re: Otter Browser

Reply #25

What'd you try to do that made it crash?
I managed to crash it when it initiated a download from Sourceforge and I refused the download. Seems to be consistent. Don't refuse downloads!

Re: Introducing Otter Browser

Reply #26
@ersi, which version it was?
Some specific tag or recent master?
That issue was fixed some time ago, don't tell me it's back. ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #27
Probably it was the firstest ever release.

Retried right now at the same place with 0.3. No crash, works fine, good-looking transfers page :up:

Reply #28
Good, AFAIR it was fixed just after second alpha.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #30

Otter Browser is an attempt to recreate some of Opera's interface, excluding some of the more recent regressions.

The link is down, and I do wonder what regressions you mean?
The entire Opera forums is down now. If I remember correctly, the post listed a bunch of lost features. There were some features lost with the transition from version 11 to 12, and after that basically everything was lost, so the thing could hardly be called a browser.

Reply #31
I think it was just Emdek mentioning a few things more explicitly than this:
Also you have to keep in mind that classic Opera regressed substantially in recent versions, simplifying (in some places far too much) and removing features (even before dropping whole "Opera" after 12.x) by trying to keep up with simplicity of Chrome and IE.

The particular post I linked to seems to have been me talking about the annoying Opera button, but my intent was probably on the thread in general:
Quote from: Frenzie

Quote from: blackbird71
Hmm. That may be true in some sense, but in both my Opera 11.52 and 12.14u setups (which I'm looking at even as I type this), the tab bar appears at the bottom of the Opera screen (which is where I want it to be), and the red Opera button is indeed at its far left... as it has for a very long time. However, in 11.52, the button simply contains the half-"O"-logo and lacks the "Opera" text that appears in the 12.14 version.

Well, this is what it looks like for me. It's true in each and every sense.

Put the tabs on bottom and it creates its own empty "tab bar". Disable the tab bar and it does the exact same thing. This button is almost as annoying as the broken addressbar, but keeping the tabs both enabled and on top isn't nearly as annoying as hard-coded text colors that become unreadable if you want to use the "wrong" background color. The addressbar is the worst bug in Opera 11+. The Opera button is the second-worst.
Quote from: blackbird71
However, in 11.52, the button simply contains the half-"O"-logo and lacks the "Opera" text that appears in the 12.14 version.

It's a half-O button for me in regular use. I don't know when, how, or why it decides to flip around between one display mode and another.

Reply #32
Then that particular post was about a misguided innovation. I also opposed that button as soon as it appeared. It was uncustomisable, un(re)movable. It went against the logic of all the other buttons.

Reply #33

I also opposed that button as soon as it appeared. It was uncustomisable, un(re)movable.

I have to amit that it's a little bit tricky but it was/is removable.

Reply #34
I followed several instructions to get rid of it. They didn't last too many restarts.

Reply #36

I followed several instructions to get rid of it. They didn't last too many restarts.

It lasted here since I disabled it for the first time and that was quite a long time ago.
Keep in mind that the button is basically a toolbar. So you have to mark it and under Appearence\Toolbars\Placement set it to "Off". That's it.

Reply #38

So you have to mark it and under Appearence\Toolbars\Placement set it to "Off". That's it.

And you actually got that to stick?  :insane:
I wonder how it stuck for him. This solution didn't last too long for me. It cannot be just my lack of trying across updates and upgrades. Well, I'll do it again. We'll see how long it lasts this time.

Edit: Right, I remember now. Switching to the menubar and back proves fatal to this solution.

Reply #39

Edit: Right, I remember now. Switching to the menubar and back proves fatal to this solution.

Exactly :)
If you switch the menubar on, the button will reappear if more than one tab is open.
However it makes little sense to enable the menubar since you can use the Alt key instead.

Another thing I forgot to mention (it's a long time since I did it last time) is to disable "Enable thumbnails in tabs" (under Appearence\Toolbars\Placement) when switching the button/toolbar off.
Hovering over the tabs will still show you the site.

Reply #40

... you can use the Alt key instead.
This is part of the problem. All keyboard shortcuts used to be over-doable the same way as all buttons, but with the introduction of the zombie button, you were stuck with both the button and the hard-coded inalterable Alt key dysfunctionality.

Reply #41

... you can use the Alt key instead.
This is part of the problem. All keyboard shortcuts used to be over-doable the same way as all buttons, but with the introduction of the zombie button, you were stuck with both the button and the hard-coded inalterable Alt key dysfunctionality.

I did a fresh install for testing. I enabled the menu bar. The button still remained switched off. I started and closed the browser for several times. Still no button. If you prefer to use Opera with the menubar, no problem. You don't have to switch it on and off all the time.

Reply #42
Right, I don't have to switch the menubar on and off all he time, but when I do, the zombie button is back. Also, looks like any editing of the toolbars anywhere tends to resurrect it. Ergo: The button won't stay away.

Reply #43
Well, everybody has its own way to use the browser.
All I can tell is that after customizing the "Appearence" and disabling the button it never came back.
I customize the GUI of the browser (or of any other software) to fit my needs once for all and not on a daily or weekly bases.
Makes no sense to argue endlessly. For you it comes back, for me it doesn't. :)