Skip to main content
Topic: Introducing Otter Browser (Read 16337 times)

Re: Otter Browser

Reply #1
Yes, I was thinking this product/project merits its own thread :)

But hey, no Linux binary?

Reply #2

Hm? There's a DEB available for both 32-bit and 64-bit Linux. Unfortunately, it's not immediately obvious to me how to satisfy the dependencies. In that sense the Windows version is actually more accessible.

Reply #3

Hm? There's a DEB available for both 32-bit and 64-bit Linux.
Where? I see instructions to install from source https://github.com/Emdek/otter/blob/master/INSTALL and only win32 binary here http://sourceforge.net/projects/otter-browser/

I have noticed 'otter' package in synaptic, but this is another project: resolution-style theorem prover at version 3.3.

Correction: Yes, my second link contains links to a .deb file in bottom right corner. Reminder to myself: always examine all links.

Still, where is the 64-bit version?

Reply #4
It gives me a link straight to the 64-bit version. Perhaps the site doesn't deal with Elinks very well?

Here's the link to all the binaries:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/otter-browser/files/otter-browser-alpha1/

But I think you'll have to install the whole of Qt 5.2, and I don't really feel like trying to figure all that out. http://qt-project.org/downloads

I gave Otter a quick try in a virtual XP. It's surprisingly functional and fast already, but there doesn't seem to be any attempt at implementing customization yet. The programmer achieved these results so quickly by focusing exclusively on the GUI, while the toolkit and engine are provided by Qt. Kind of like what Opera says they're doing.

Reply #5

I gave Otter a quick try in a virtual XP. It's surprisingly functional and fast already, but there doesn't seem to be any attempt at implementing customization yet.

At this early stage it's hard to make predictions. So far it's lightweight and seems to be fast.
More customization options will come for sure.
Might be worth to keep an eye on this project.

Reply #6
ׂ

Reply #7
Is it fast on Windows?

It seems to be slightly faster than Opera Presto. However I've only tested with scripting disabled and only on a few pages.
One of the most interesting things for me is to see how modular the final product will look like.

The GUI is fast and responsive, at least on my Win7.

Reply #8
ׂ

Reply #9
It gives me a link straight to the 64-bit version. Perhaps the site doesn't deal with Elinks very well?

This page http://sourceforge.net/projects/otter-browser/ links to otter-browser_0.1.01_i386.deb only. This page http://sourceforge.net/projects/otter-browser/files/otter-browser-alpha1/ is good for three files:
- otter-browser-alpha1-win32-v2.zip
- otter-browser_0.1.01_i386.deb
- otter-browser_0.1.01_amd64.deb

Looking with Opera 12. Anyway, as you indicated, dependencies related to something called qt5 seem to pose such an obstacle to installation that it's too much to bother.

Reply #11
Okay, compiling is fairly simple (and amazingly fast) all in all.

1. Download the Qt 5.2 SDK.
2. Compile and see what's missing. In my case (Debian Wheezy), that was libgstreamer0.10-dev, libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev, and libxslt1-dev. You might need others like build-essential, but I already had all that so I couldn't say.

Reply #12
I created some fan art:

If you want to play with it, I the source is here.

Reply #13

Okay, compiling is fairly simple (and amazingly fast) all in all.

1. Download the Qt 5.2 SDK.
2. Compile and see what's missing. In my case (Debian Wheezy), that was libgstreamer0.10-dev, libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev, and libxslt1-dev. You might need others like build-essential, but I already had all that so I couldn't say.

Let's see, last time I checked Qt was a monstrosity all by itself ;)

Reply #15
This is a post to praise 'yaourt', Arch Linux's package manager. It may superficially look like any old download&install centre with command-line interface, but in fact it automates package building from source. As a result, the installation process for a package looks like some install wizard on Windows, except that it's command line :) Along the way, the user is provided with chances to modify installation scripts, info on and detouring to install the dependencies and such.

I noticed that 'otter-browser' is already an entity in 'yaourt'. Sure enough, Qt5 was a requirement. I followed the steps to build and install it. It gave no errors, but the end product unfortunately doesn't launch. I don't know why and I don't care too much. I went through the same process to install Opera 11.62 and this launches and browses just fine :)

Reply #16
I noticed that 'otter-browser' is already an entity in 'yaourt'. Sure enough, Qt5 was a requirement. I followed the steps to build and install it. It gave no errors, but the end product unfortunately doesn't launch. I don't know why and I don't care too much.
Hey, today it launched! I am posting in Otter now.

Praised be 'yaourt'!

Reply #17
How do you manage the Qt5 looks?

Reply #18
I don't. I have launched Otter browser only a few times to find that not much is there yet. If I had interaction with the guy, I would present my requests for the interface and features. Qt5 is just an obscure dependency that I don't even look at.

Reply #19
It's just that for Qt4 there's qtconfig, but as far as I can tell there's nothing similar for Qt5. And for some reason Qt5 looks worse in Jessie than it did in Wheezy.

Reply #21
I tried Otter Browser today.  I managed to make it crash in less than a minute without even trying to :(.  Guess it really is an alpha.  I'll give it a few months and try again; fortunately Opera 12 is still doing pretty well on all the sites I frequent.

Reply #22
What'd you try to do that made it crash?

Re: Introducing Otter Browser

Reply #23
I like it's simplicity....I'll use it as one of my goto browsers, which I use in my launcher if I come across a  difficult site.

Re: Introducing Otter Browser

Reply #24
And there I thought I had a fair number of browsers around. :)