Skip to main content
Topic: Profile settings and customisation (Read 6358 times)

Profile settings and customisation

This is a general topic devoted to discuss questions about profile settings, various options present and not, and to report problems with that stuff.

• Frans, I just tried to add there something about my birth date - and chose to specify only the year. So far it's seemed to me that it didn't show - at least I can say I saw the zeros in the box there again after saving the input.

Re: Profile settings and customisation

Reply #2
It's a bit backwards. You can choose to omit the year, but not the precise date.

Reply #4
It doesn't actually show your birthday in public, but I'm not going to recommend you enter it or anything. I could view it, and I suppose that's not so bad assuming you trust me, but it this place somehow got hacked the attacker might walk away with all the complete birthdates—although I reckon the risk of that happening is far greater with the likes of MySpace and Facebook.

Reply #5
It doesn't actually show your birthday in public...
???
Oh, I see!
Quote from: your profile
Posts: 475 (11.310 per day)Gender: MaleAge:N/ALocation:Antwerp, Belgium
The profiles show 'how old you are', so I reckon, the exact date is somehow necessary in such a case:hm:???

Reply #6
Even my somewhat vague statement might already be too precise for identity theft purposes and the like. If I call my bank, they ask me a few verification questions including my birthday.

My birthday might be out there—because of e.g. MySpace being hacked if nothing else, but I don't intend to make such things easier than they already are.

Reply #7
Then...
1. Few of the guys I've seen here so far specify their exact BDs.
2. Why not just make that line into a "Born in [year]" one?:idea:

Reply #8
I agree that would be a good idea, but I'd like to leave the core alone as much as possible. Plus this particular issue doesn't seem very important; there's the "personal text" field if your age or year of birth is something you want to get off your heart. :P

Reply #10

It doesn't actually show your birthday in public, but I'm not going to recommend you enter it or anything. I could view it, and I suppose that's not so bad assuming you trust me, but it this place somehow got hacked the attacker might walk away with all the complete birthdates—although I reckon the risk of that happening is far greater with the likes of MySpace and Facebook.

A simple solution that I've been using for well over 30 years --- pick any date, & that's your new birthday. I've used the same birthday for over 30 years on everything..........on everything except legal documents that hold the axe of perjury over my neck.

I use a different birthday on those.

Reply #11
The idea of those settings we have - is to show the user's age. If your BD is wrong, the age will be shown wrong parttime.

Reply #12
ׂ

Reply #13
Out of curiosity, Frans or any other Mod, what are your thoughts on a notification system? (Mind you, just thinking out loud here.)

On a sports forum I have been a member of for years now, there is a wee bell up in the top left, right by one's username and PM link, and any time one quotes what you have posted, you are notified of said quote, and a link is provided to take you to the quotee's response.

I realize this may be unrealistic and damnably hard to implement, but I am curious as to everyone's thoughts about it.

Reply #15
Out of curiosity, Frans or any other Mod, what are your thoughts on a notification system? (Mind you, just thinking out loud here.)

I took a quick look around and it looks like there are no free options. That being said, I'm not really sure if it's necessary on top of the notification and bookmark system?

Reply #16

I took a quick look around and it looks like there are no free options. That being said, I'm not really sure if it's necessary on top of the notification and bookmark system?

Ah, didn't see that.
Apologies. :)

Profile settings and customisation

Reply #17
You have uploaded a profile picture but not updated your avatar, I think.

In your user CP go to Settings and options on the left  > edit avatar - not profile picture.

There are size limits - you will find out fast enough...

Good  luck.
Если дела идут плохо не ходи с ними.