Skip to main content
Topic: General Unix/Linux Thread (Read 120266 times)

Re: General Unix/Linux Thread

Reply #375
Hopefully it also comes with an American keyboard.

Who am I kidding. I don't need a new laptop for another few years. :P

Reply #376
I don't know why this is taking so long, but resizing a 465 GiB ext4 partition (256 GiB is used) to 315 GiB with resize2fs seems to be taking an eternity. It's finally almost done and it's getting to close to three hours.

If I'd just copied the files I know I would've been done in about an hour tops. I guess two hours since I might've had to copy it twice in the process.

According to top my CPU is at a fairly consistent 2-4% and writing speeds are practically non-existent. Not exactly what I was expecting. I'm displeased.

Edit: it finished pass 2, but apparently there's a pass 3.  :faint:

Edit 2: ok, pass 3 and 4 only took a minute or two. That's good. :P

Edit 3: hm, time plays tricks on your mind I guess. It took "only " 2:15:12. The next step of the process, copying a 120 GB partition, is set to finish in 21 minutes.

Reply #377
I've been using mainly VirtualBox and perhaps a bit of VirtManager, but today I finally tried GNOME Boxes. In typical GNOME style it's fairly simplistic, so probably a lot harder if you actually need to tweak things. However, the simplicity and speed of just straight up loading a disk image is phenomenal.

(Booting into a LiveCD on bare metal is kind of meh for just quickly testing a few things.)

Reply #381
Very well, forgot about it. :lol:

Code: [Select]
for f in /usr/share/neofetch/ascii/distro/*; do neofetch --ascii $f; done

Reply #382
Here's a fresh screenfetch

Neofetch notices that there are two monitors, not just one. That's nice.

Edit: Hmm, it's not showing. Probably can be only seen when logged in to Vivaldi.

Reply #384
Ah, shows in Mozilla-ites, but doesn't in Chrome-ites. (For me.)

Reply #385
Seems to load in the Vivaldi Chromite.

Reply #386
Seems to load in the Vivaldi Chromite.
And in Chromium, but not in Otter and Qutebrowser. (Edit: Ah, works with QtWebEngine, but not webkit.)

And your attachments only show when logged in, but then I guess that's the idea.

Reply #387
I don't think that was intentional. I've added attachment viewing privileges to guests.

Reply #388
I just updated from VirtualBox 5.1 to 5.2 and it is so. much. faster. Good stuff.

Reply #389
I just found out that Alt+Tab cycling through all workspaces has become a regular part of Cinnamon DE. Finally the option that I am used to on XFCE and Openbox has found its way to CInnamon, oh joy. Ain't life wonderful  :wine:

But seriously, it's sort of annoying when you like a DE or WM very much and there's just one little thing missing. For example, i3 would be perfect for my purposes if I could kill a particular workspace at the same time killing all the windows located there or kill all windows except the current one like I can in Openbox.

Reply #390
A neofetch on my Cinnamon laptop.

There are many aspects I really like about Cinnamon, but I guess it's about time to change it everywhere for the most productive and functional desktop I know - i3wm. Actually, the most productive and functional desktop would be something between i3wm and Openbox, but nobody has done it yet.

Reply #391
What's the fancy desktop clock? Not that I spend a lot of time looking at my desktop, but it could be cool. Is it related to Conky?

Reply #392
Modified from one of the designs that comes with Conky Manager

Reply #394
Manjaro passed Mint in popularity, probably a while ago...
Quote from: distrowatch.com
1 Manjaro 3779>
2 Mint 2754<
3 Ubuntu 1686<
4 elementary 1407>
5 Debian 1379<
6 MX Linux 1129>
7 Solus 1099<
8 Fedora 922=
9 openSUSE 799<
10 Antergos 738<

Reply #395
​Linus Torvalds takes a break from Linux
Torvalds looked at himself in the mirror, and he wasn't happy. He realized "it wasn't actually funny or a good sign that I was hoping to just skip the yearly kernel summit entirely, and on the other hand realizing that I really had been ignoring some fairly deep-seated feelings in the community."

[...]

Torvalds will be back. "This is not some kind of 'I'm burnt out, I need to just go away' break. I'm not feeling like I don't want to continue maintaining Linux. Quite the reverse. I very much *do* want to continue to do this project that I've been working on for almost three decades."

Reply #396
He does send some rather insensitive e-mails out in public, in any case.

Reply #398
One important thing to note: When Torvalds gave that company his middle finger and a public cursing, the room erupted in laughter and cheers. Bad behavior is much harder to change when you’re surrounded by people who encourage it.
Um, it's "that company" (@qz: why not write Nvidia?) that was behaving badly. You might argue all kinds of things about the best way to address the issue, but that wasn't so much bad behavior as collectively venting frustration. To call that bad behavior seems like an incredibly black & white way of thinking. Now of course it's true that you shouldn't encourage it even then because the ways in which we interact with the world tend to generalize, but we're talking about a properly deserved fuck you here.