Skip to main content
Topic: General Unix/Linux Thread (Read 119934 times)

Re: General Unix/Linux Thread

Reply #350
Commercial success is evil. Manjaro is currently #3 in Distrowatch after Mint and Debian, heading before Ubuntu. Looks like I have to find some other more obscure distro.

Reply #351
Try a BSD one.

Reply #353
Disaster struck. Thunar randomly freezes and I don't know why. I'm trying Nemo and it's pretty decent, although it lacks Thunar's multi-file rename dialog.

Reply #354
For me PCManFM always seemed a better approximation of Thunar. Nemo makes sense in Gnome only. Well, perhaps depends what your Xfce looks like.

And disaster struck me too. Somehow I managed to slightly crack the glass of my 8" e-reader. It was judged outside warranty and the repairs would cost 160 e. Not worth it. A terrible loss. In a short while I had become dependent of it. Not sure what to do with it now.

Reply #355
Well, perhaps depends what your Xfce looks like.
I don't really care about the looks much provided they don't get in the way too much (like how in Evince the looks somehow get in the way of accessing the menus though the keyboard). I'm not too sure about Nemo's single-click mode for example because it deviates from the way it works in Explorer/Directory Opus/Thunar/Nautilus/Dolphin but that's not a looks thing. I actually really like Nemo's option to open a subfolder within the main folder view as an alternative to Miller columns as in the interesting-looking Marlin. Edit: apparently this is now Pantheon File Manager.

Interestingly, both Thunar and PCManFM sensibly allow selection of multiple files in details view, as does Dolphin if memory doesn't betray me. Nemo, Nautilus, and SpaceFM do not and always initiate a drag.

It is interesting to take a look at what's available, but realistically what's probably the best file manager (Dolphin) is too KDE-centric and doesn't integrate all that well with Xfce. Anyway, Nemo and PCManFM work well enough in the sense that they don't freeze. Both lack Thunar's multi-file rename functionality.

Hopefully this Thunar thing will sort itself out soon all by itself.

Reply #356
It is interesting to take a look at what's available, but realistically what's probably the best file manager (Dolphin) is too KDE-centric and doesn't integrate all that well with Xfce.
When I said "looks like" I meant how things integrate. Some people put KWin into their Xfce and that would naturally make Dolphin the file manager in their Xfce.

Both lack Thunar's multi-file rename functionality.
Isn't there a command line thingy to mass/bulk/batch-rename files? I launch the terminal in a specific folder inside the graphical file manager fairly often, mostly for multiple-deletion or for downloading with wget, aria2, etc.

Reply #357
Isn't there a command line thingy to mass/bulk/batch-rename files? I launch the terminal in a specific folder inside the graphical file manager fairly often, mostly for multiple-deletion or for downloading with wget, aria2, etc.
Well sure, but it's just not as user-friendly imo. You can run rename -n to see what would be the result without actually doing it, but that still potentially takes a whole load of back and forth.

Btw, the repair price sounds like it's probably not too far off from the new price?

Reply #358
Btw, the repair price sounds like it's probably not too far off from the new price?
I already bought a new one for the price - Pocketbook Touch HD. Its touchscreen is the best among the ones I have owned now, the screen resolution is fantastic, but the physical buttons annoingly glitchy, if not the worst. And when you stick the microSD in, it dangles out a bit. Why can't they make a perfect one for once? Overall I liked the first one (Pocketbook Sense) best, if it only had had sufficient RAM.

Still must decide what to do with the 8" one. The screen is cracked a bit in one corner. Apart from that corner, it's usable, but of course every corner is important. Maybe I will wait patiently until I have an opportunity to smuggle it to Russia to repair dirt-cheaply or give it away to someone who is willing to repair it.

Reply #359
Manjaro moves over to ARM architecture and phases out x86 architecture in short order.

This is something drastic, even though I don't quite get how drastic. I always assumed that i686 meant 32-bit and x86_64 meant 64-bit - a difference of bits, hardly anything else. Looks like architecture means something more than that. Now I have to figure out what ARM is and which, if any, of my machines have it.

One new machine has AMD Phenom. ARM? Guess not, just AMD. And Linux is misbehaving on it. Should I try a BSD?

Reply #360
Re ARM and phase out of x86, I suspect I got april-fooled. Verdammte Churrmanns.

Reply #361
I thought the Debian equivalent was quite amusing.

The space agencies running the International Space Station (ISS) reported that a laptop accidentally threw to space as waste in 2013 from the International State Station may have connected with a parallel Universe. This laptop was running Debian 6 and the ISS engineers managed to track its travel through the outer space. In early January, the laptop signal was lost but recovered back two weeks later in the same place. ISS engineers suspect that the laptop may had met and crossed a wormhole arriving a parallel Universe from where "somebody" sent it back later.

Eventually the laptop was recovered and in an first analysis the ISS engineers found that the laptop have a dual boot: a partition running the Debian installation made by them and a second partition running what seems to be a Debian fork or derivative totally unknown until now.

[…]

Add ten new language locales that do not correspond to any language spoken in Earth, with full translation for four of them.

[…]

Reply #363
I think my Thunar problems might be related to my Brother DCP-9020CDW network printer/scanner. Activating it and printing something seems like a sure-fire way to trigger Thunar freezes, while having the printer turned off seems to coincide with a normal, expected lack of freezes.

Reply #364
Printers suck. On any operating system. Their interface and general reliability has stood still for decades. I'd recommend taking the stuff to a printing service, but I have had trouble with those too, when I needed special fonts.

Reply #365
My experiences with laser printers have generally been alright. It's inkjets with ink that dries out, clogs printheads and whatnot that are annoying. On the plus side, they print nice pictures when they work.

I wonder what about the printer or its driver makes Thunar freeze and Thunar only. Very odd.

Reply #366
Printers suck. On any operating system
Printer sucks on Linux. Not because Linux but because printers manufacturers,
Not even the scanner function I can get in Linux with Brother manufacturer.

So I have to maintain dual boot.

A matter of attitude.

Reply #367
That's too bad. :( Of course I checked in advance, but their Linux support is pretty decent: http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/index.html?c=us_ot&lang=en&comple=on&redirect=on

I seem to have these installed:
Code: [Select]
$ dpkg -l | grep Brother
ii  brscan-skey                                                 0.2.4-1                                amd64        Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
ii  brscan4                                                     0.4.4-1                                amd64        Brother Scanner Driver
ii  dcp9020cdwcupswrapper:i386                                  1.1.4-0                                i386         Brother CUPS Laser Printer Definitions
ii  dcp9020cdwlpr:i386                                          1.1.2-1                                i386         Brother lpr Laser Printer Definitions
ii  printer-driver-ptouch                                       1.4.2-2+b1                             amd64        printer driver Brother P-touch label printers

Reply #368
I wonder what about the printer or its driver makes Thunar freeze and Thunar only. Very odd.
Could it be something in a Thunar update instead? I mean, file managers attempt to show more than system file structure. Thunar can display connected flash drives and the like. Perhaps something's out of order in that direction?

I myself one day experienced crashes with PCManFM when downloading a YT video that came in tons of tiny fragments. Displaying the download folder, PCManFM crashed and then refused to reopen. After the file had been downloaded and merged, it was okay again. Apparently there is a limit to the number of file units that PCManFM is able to display/contain without crashing.

Reply #369
Oh yes, I've actually also suspected that but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Perhaps it's not so much the number of files (at least not as long as it doesn't exceed a few hundred) but that the files are only there for a split second and already gone again by the time it tries to get some more information about it.

Perhaps something's out of order in that direction?
Well sure, I guess it must be a Thunar problem somehow. It's annoying because by and large I like Thunar. :(

Reply #370
I picked up Wolfenstein 3D + Spear of Destiny in the GOG summer sale.

Spear of Destiny certainly has some… interesting visuals.

To play, the game optimally, grab ECWolf from http://maniacsvault.net/ecwolf/download.php

Then extract the GOG installers using innoextract and run ECWolf in the relevant directories (I'd copy them to your game folder in a relevantly named subfolder).

Other than fullscreen you can set your resolution in ~/.config/ecwolf/ecwolf.cfg.

I went with:
Code: [Select]
ScreenWidth = 1280;
ScreenHeight = 960;

On UHD that gives you a nice little window.

Reply #371
@Frenzie

In your blog you write
...most Linux distros don’t seem to ship with a calculator by default.
*Buntu and derivatives seem to include Galculator. If you are not speaking about them, you are not speaking about *most* Linux distros.

And doesn't Debian come with bc at least? It doesn't show currency rates, but it calculates...

Reply #372
Course it cames with a calculator, Frenzie just enjoys to say those things when he's bored from his linguistic studies.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #373
*Buntu and derivatives seem to include Galculator. If you are not speaking about them, you are not speaking about *most* Linux distros.
I'd swear that Ubuntu didn't used to come with gnome-calculator but I might be wrong. I'm also fairly sure that Xubuntu only added gnome-calculator to its list of default apps fairly recently, although perhaps not nearly recently enough for when I wrapped up that post. Note that the screenshot links point to /2016/08/qalculate-conversion-celsius-fs8.png but that only indicates when I uploaded the screenshots. It's actually a cut-down version of something more elaborate involving several calculators I wrote half a decade ago.

Many of my posts are lined up months in advance and the draft can date back many years.[1] I've currently got posts lined up until July, almost all of which I wrote or finalized in January. I try not to do that thing where I create drafts and forget about them as much anymore, but instead I try to stick 'em in the queue to force myself to either edit them or publish them as is. Or I just post it on a forum somewhere. :P
For example, I wrote the bulk of http://fransdejonge.com/2017/03/image-optimization-guide/ due to https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?topic=420.msg22488#msg22488 back then in 2014, finished it up in January (as you can also tell from /2017/01/Screenshot_2017-01-22_11-22-23-inkscape-plain-svg-fs8.png) and added those addenda in February.