Skip to main content
Topic: General Unix/Linux Thread (Read 120528 times)

Re: General Unix/Linux Thread

Reply #250
Gnome Shell is, apparently, still unusable.

I am already disappointed after just a few minutes. There is no suspend button on the menu. Some Googling showed that holding Alt while hovering over the power off button will change it to a suspend button. And indeed it does. But… uh, what? That is so common and so non-obvious. And pushing the power button does… nothing. That’s right, nothing. Apparently the way to enable some action when you push the power button is to type in a settings command in a terminal. There’s no setting in the settings panel.

Reply #251
Tmux, on the other hand, is highly usable. I found a wrapper for Tmux today: Byobu http://byobu.co/

After installation, just type byobu in terminal and enjoy the cute default profile built around Tmux (Tmux is a requirement or dependency for Byobu). Basically, Byobu shows what nice things could be done with Tmux, if we had the brains or time for it.

Reply #252
It came by default with Ubuntu a few years ago. tmux support wasn't available then, but the very first steps toward implementation coincided with that blogpost. It became the default shell for Byobu on 08 Nov 2013, although already on 29 Dec 2011 tmux became a depend and screen a recommend.

Getting a quick overview of these things is definitely made simpler by Opera/Chromium showing search results in the scrollbar.

Reply #253
Having finished some rather important stuff last week, I decided to risk temporarily breaking part of my stable Debian Jessie by installing Xfce 4.12 from unstable. Looking over the release notes, what jumped out to me was that the window switcher gained a list view. As you might know, I'm a big fan of window switching by list view.

Unfortunately, however, they seem to have decided to add an annoying transparency effect to the windows switcher. This is obviously awful since it is in complete negligence of my setting that all popups should be completely opaque. The only way I've found yet to get rid of it is to disable compositing, but that won't do.

Reply #254
After some trying, I disabled Byobu. There's too much going on there by default.

Its keybinds are attractive, sort of intuitive, and that's precisely the problem - they are in use in my desktop environment and in other apps, so there are many conflicts. Whereas configuring is not easy enough.

I'd like Byobu to detect my Tmux keybinds and other settings in max two simple steps and, while doing it, discard its own settings. There's a module called byobu-export but no module called byobu-import.

It still makes a whole lotta sense in tty though, where there's not too much chance for keybind conflicts.

I like the list-style window switcher in Openbox, but in Xfce I prefer the fancier switcher.

Reply #255
The program must've changed, but also note that Manjaro may ship a set of configuration defaults that differ from those of Byobu itself. For me, the shotcuts are those of screen. It's possible that the program asked me on the first start.

Reply #256

The program must've changed, but also note that Manjaro may ship a set of configuration defaults that differ from those of Byobu itself. For me, the shotcuts are those of screen. It's possible that the program asked me on the first start.

For me, Byobu came up in fancy colours, offered quick overview to keybinds and some configuration elements. After some digging, I found its raw configs, but I could not see how to make it use Tmux, just that and nothing else. There seems to be a way to make it behave screen-like though.

Reply #257
Yes, the fancy colors and everything are kind of the whole point of Byobu. I just noticed it does support some keys like F2, F3, and F4 which I wasn't aware of. I just remembered that the thing I set up to work with screen's shortcuts is tmux, not Byobu.

Reply #258
Byobu reminded me of this video. Openbox is supposed to be minimalist in order to emphasise content and substance, but this video makes it all about easily switchable preset styles.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKwFe_OI4LQ[/video]

Reply #259
Happy Birthday, Linux!
Dear all, today is August 25, 2015, and the time has come for us, Linux users, to party in celebration of the 24th anniversary of the Linux project, announced by none other than its creator, Linus Torvalds, on the sunny day of Sunday, August 25, 1991.

Reply #260
Very nice. :)

Reply #262
Speaking of compilers - LLVM/clang has been used to build NetBSD on ARM and x86 for a while now, and it mostly works on powerpc and sparc64 as well ( 'mostly' as in kernels and executables in general work, but shared objects seem to randomly lose symbols. Likely just a config or linker problem ).
It won't be able to replace gcc any time soon for lack of CPU architecture support but it's nice to have alternatives.

Reply #263
Yeah, I hear clang has better error messages. But for freedom's sake, go gcc! (and get some better error messages too) :)

Reply #265
Some desktop news.

Cinnamon 2.8 was announced yesterday. The power manager and volume icon in systray are now more convoluted than ever. It's a bad idea to prevent media players show their own icons in systray and instead combine them into and control them by the volume icon. Luckily there's a setting to disable this behaviour.

A good development is in Cinnamon desktop switcher, which can now display the placement of windows. Something that Xfce has had for a long time already.

In other news, I have booted into a few more desktops just to see what they look like. JWM and Fluxbox look sympa, Budgie not so. Budgie prominently features the unmanageable non-titlebar titlebar familiar from Gnome 3.

Reply #268
Does it do something that cron doesn't do?

I think it should be faster and/or easier to set up certain types of scenarios. Similar to what I said above about devilspie2, if you wrote a cron script that executed every minute or two to check whether a certain condition applied I'm sure you'd start to go in this general direction. Also I'm not sure if you could easily listen to stuff like DBus events using a cron script?

It is not generally intended as a replacement to cron and the Gnome Task Scheduler, although to some extent these utilities might overlap. When is intended to be more flexible, although less precise, and to provide an alternative to more complicated solutions -- such as the implementation of cron jobs that check for a particular condition and execute commands when the condition is verified. In such spirit, When is not as fine-grained in terms of doing things on a strict time schedule: the When approach is that "when a certain condition is met, then something has to be done". The condition is checked periodically, and the "countermeasure" is taken subsequently -- although not immediately in most cases. In fact, and with the default configuration, the delay can reach a couple of minutes in the worst case.

Reply #272

How did you install local files until now?

Usually gdebi, sometimes sudo dpkg -i.

I had forgotten about gdebi. It brings back good memories now.

And how do you downgrade a package? Is there a dpkg switch for that?

Not sure I understand the question. Just install an older file?

For example when after a system update you discover that an FF addon has not caught up, then how do you reinstall, for FF only, the version that you had just prior the system update?

Reply #273
If it still exists in your Apt cache in /var you could install that; otherwise I'm not aware of an option to do that.

Reply #274
Ah, then it works the same way as with Arch's pacman. But Arch's pacman is very liberally keeping old packages in /var/cache, so it's easy to downgrade.