Skip to main content
Topic: Install questions for MS Windows (Read 7349 times)

Install questions for MS Windows

HI! Great to see somebody trying out the water. :-)

1 - Installing Otter under MS Windows. Is the installer file
otter-browser-win32-0.9.05-weekly57-setup.exe
all we need, or do we need to install Qt also?
Do we need to install any other files?

If more than the setup.exe file is needed, where do we find those files?

2 - Which flavours of MS Windows are accepted? Can Otter for instance be installed on W XP?

cheers/Rolf

Re: Install questions for MS Windows

Reply #1
1. The installer includes Qt. Without Qt it'd be significantly smaller.

2. It seems to work perfectly fine on XP. More detail can be found here.

Reply #2

2. It seems to work perfectly fine on XP. More detail can be found here.

That says "Windows XP - 32bit - Deployment only".

I succeeded installing, but not starting the browser.  Sorry, I didn't note the error message before uninstalling again.

Has anybody here installed and gotten everything to work in W XP?

cheers/Rolf

Reply #3
Has anybody here installed and gotten everything to work in W XP?

That's what I meant by "it seems to work perfectly fine" (as opposed to "it should work perfectly fine"). ;)

Reply #4
I made another try.

Details: MS W XP SP3, 32bit (I think, at least it is not 64bit)
Installer: otter-browser-win32-0.9.05-weekly57-setup.exe

Result:
- install works
- starting the browser gives the error message:
Program can not be correctly initiated (0xc000001d)

cheers/Rolf

Reply #5
@Rolf, maybe something is missing in package or upstream change broke it (it was confirmed to work correctly some weeks ago).
Could you please try older package (beta 1 seems to be best choice)?
Which CPU model are you using?
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #6
I tried the latest weekly (#57) and my XP is rather close to vanilla. Weird.

Reply #8

@Rolf, maybe something is missing in package or upstream change broke it (it was confirmed to work correctly some weeks ago).
Could you please try older package (beta 1 seems to be best choice)?
Which CPU model are you using?

Intel Pentium III.

Beta 1 installed (file from sourceforge). Same error.

Ah well. An incentive as good as any to migrate to a somewhat newer computer and os... :-)

cheers/Rolf

Reply #9

Intel Pentium III.

Unfortunately.

we are using precompiled binaries which seems to require SSE2 since Qt 5.3.

My machine is Athlon 64 based, I don't know about CPU issues. I've tried to promote Otter on Russian downgraders forum, but other users got the same problems.

Reply #10
@Rolf, it seems to be missing SSE2 instructions set:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2

Since version 5.3.0 Qt by default requires it, although it should be still possible to create build with support for older CPUs, we can later try to create it as part of:
https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser/issues/631

Reply #11
If there are many people in the same situation it might be a good idea to make such a build. After all, there are many people who cannot afford a newer computer.

However, there is no need to do it just for my sake. I will solve my problem by upgrading to that newer computer.

Thank you all very much for your help.

cheers/Rolf

Reply #12
@Rolf, there are still numerous systems with old CPUs out there, so rebuilding new Qt release from time to time for them is not a a big problem.
I guess that it would be enough to create just 32 bit variant and packaging it just as ZIP archive and providing installer.

Reply #13
Intel Pentium III.

Beta 1 installed (file from sourceforge). Same error.

Ah well. An incentive as good as any to migrate to a somewhat newer computer and os... :-)

For real. Where are you located? I've still got a discarded Core 2 Duo E6600 system sitting around that'll blow any P3 out of the water. I'm intending to give it to charity, but for the cost of shipping it's yours.*

* Where by system I mean motherboard + 6 GB RAM + CPU, maybe GPU and HDD if necessary on top of it. Technically I do have all the components to build a proper system lying around (including an old case), but for the cost of shipping the weight it just couldn't possibly be worthwhile.

Reply #14

For real. Where are you located? I've still got a discarded Core 2 Duo E6600 system sitting around that'll blow any P3 out of the water. I'm intending to give it to charity, but for the cost of shipping it's yours.*

That's very kind of you, Frenzie, but no need. Actually I already have a new (well, newer) computer. I just haven't gotten around to start using that for my day to day browsing.

cheers/Rolf

Reply #15
Hi,

I have just registered, having learned on Vivaldi about Otter. :)

Regarding the subject,
Here
http://otter-browser.org/
there is no easy link to Windows installation files.
I found the current (hopefully) version of Otter somewhere on the web.
I think that for marketing reasons it would be good to provide an easy access from the origin website to installation files.

Also, the question, where are trojan-free Win 64 installation files?

Best,
Pref

Reply #16
The "experimental binaries" link leads to the downloads. Perhaps it's about time to simply change the text to "download"; I'm not sure.

I beg your pardon? In any case, the 64-bit Windows builds can be found here.

Reply #17

The "experimental binaries" link leads to the downloads. Perhaps it's about time to simply change the text to "download"; I'm not sure.

My friend, "experimental binaries" are not for mortal man to play with. Especially if that man is a Windows' Man. :-)
Most windows people will not even click on that link.

I do suggest you change it to "downloads", plus a text telling that for Windows, only the setup.exe file is needed (win32 or win64 as needed).

cheers/Rolf

Reply #18
Rolf, you are absolutely right.  :D
What we, Mortal People need is just kind of an Open Office/Libre Office repository - you have there just anything you want described precisely. This is for Linux (which I am a big profane fan) 32 and 64, this is for Windows 32 and 64.
That's for mortals. :)))

Reply #19

I beg your pardon? In any case, the 64-bit Windows builds can be found here.

Hello, Frenzie, I meant that if I download some .exe file from anywhere I am not sure what kind of "sweeties" I get as a bonus. If I download from an owner/author website it is usually clean, and safe. And I just could not find this "mortal" text "Download".
OK, I see it is in experimental bins. Let me kindly point out this is not the way Mortals see the things. :))))
And thank you for your effort and help.

Reply #20
I guess that we could reword it, but clearly mark it as beta quality on download button.
Or as alpha in case of weeklies, as these can contain regressions.

Reply #21
OK, I see it is in experimental bins. Let me kindly point out this is not the way Mortals see the things.  :)) ))

I'm well aware that a simple "download" is the way to go eventually, but the whole point of experimental is exactly that. ;)

I guess that we could reword it, but clearly mark it as beta quality on download button.
Or as alpha in case of weeklies, as these can contain regressions.

You could always just change it to "Download experimental binaries".

Reply #22

You could always just change it to "Download experimental binaries".

Of course, but I think the point we are trying to make is that even that expression means that most "Windows people" will not try out the Otter browser.

So perhaps the question could be rephrased into: "Do we want "Windows people" to wait trying Otter until the release of the stable version in June?".

I suppose Opera 12 users is an important market for the Otter browser. I would expect many Opera 12 for Windows users to be computer savvy, but even for those perhaps something like "download" link, and text "download latest alpha or beta version of Otter, beware of the risks" would be of help.

cheers/Rolf

Reply #23
@Frenzie, probably the best option would be going for downloads page, listing all known downloads for all supported platforms (including third party packages), clearly noting their status (who is responsible for each package, if it is outdated etc.) plus suggesting direct link for platform detected from UA string (but putting that Downloads page link next to it, using some user friendly text).