Skip to main content
Topic: Vivaldi Technical Preview Released (Read 28679 times)

Re: Vivaldi Technical Preview Released

Reply #75
It's still indicative of a trend in which WebKitBlink litters the web with shoddy implementations, causing less competent so-called developers to think something "doesn't work" in Fx when they (and Blink) are doing it wrong. Although oddly enough since the divorce both WebKit and Blink seem to have improved in quality.
I've looked it up. According to W3C - Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Safari and Opera are supporting the alt attribute.
Excepting Opera, the above are all actually maintained/developed engines.

Well, I cannot test too extensively, but here's someone who ran a test in 2010 I guess http://files.paciellogroup.com/blogmisc/HTML5/alt-tests/alt-examples.html

Safari (the first major browser to branch off their own webkit version) performs worst, indicating that they care little for developing for the standards. A megacorp simply grabbed a passable fruit of volunteer work and relabelled it for their own purpose.

Chrome (version 4) does better. Thumbs up for that.

However, the linked test only tests the situation with faulty src. In real life, there are more situations, my favourite being to browse with images off. The textmode browsers that I use are very sensible with alt texts, as is old Opera. These are most pleasant to use for browsring without images. The rest is downhill.

Among newer browsers, Vivaldi seems to be actively paying attention to these points. They have fixed the handling of the alt attribute and they have colour filters inbuilt (though they don't work as good as in old Opera). It's somewhat of a hit and miss, whereas other Chromites are more of a miss.

Reply #76
Among newer browsers, Vivaldi seems to be actively paying attention to these points. They have fixed the handling of the alt attribute and they have colour filters inbuilt (though they don't work as good as in old Opera). It's somewhat of a hit and miss, whereas other Chromites are more of a miss.
I don't really keep tabs on Chromuenza, but the picture I'm getting goes something like this:

1. Vivaldi
2. Opera/Maxthon/Yandex
49. Opera Mobile
50. Chromium
999. Chrome
9999. Chrome Mobile/Samsung Chromium

Reply #77
  • Wrong URL: alt text appears
  • Switch back to working URL: alt text remains
  • Voilà
  • I asssume that after refreshing the page, alt text is gone.
You can also do that online (I linked to an online editor after all ;))
Writing a minimalistic test wouldn't be the problem (a matter of 2 minutes?).
But I'm sick of downloading and installing browsers I don't intend to use. ;)

Reply #78
However, the linked test only tests the situation with faulty src.
AFAIK, because it is the purpose of alt text in the first place.
In real life, there are more situations, my favourite being to browse with images off.
Wonder what valuable informations you get by reading the alt text when browsing with images off?
Chromites are more of a miss.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not defending Chrome/Chromites/Blinkies. I've never used such a browser and don't intend to do so in future - not even for testing. :)

Reply #79
I asssume that after refreshing the page, alt text is gone.
Not with F5 or Ctrl+F5. The alt text won't go away. It's pretty bizarre. Normal. It's normal. The fact that alt text won't show up when you disable images is what's bizarre.

AFAIK, because it is the purpose of alt text in the first place.
The main purpose is accessibility, which basically means people with visual impairments.

Wonder what valuable informations you get by reading the alt text when browsing with images off?
Various websites (possibly including my blog) use alt and title attributes for added value. The most famous being, of course, xkcd. ;)

Reply #80
I asssume that after refreshing the page, alt text is gone.
Not with F5 or Ctrl+F5. The alt text won't go away.
Freeenziiie!!!  :irked:
You made me download that ultimative piece of crap we use to call Chropera for that stupid test.
With the wrong URL it showed the alt text.
After fixing the URL and hitting F5 it showed the pic instead of the alt text.

Reply #81
I don't see anything in there about disabling images.  :wizard:

Reply #82
You don't because I've tested only with a wrong URL.

Google doesn't want you to disable images! This would be Un-American and a blow to our free world.
Imagine the loss of hundreds of millions of $$$ through advertising.
They try hard to build the ultimative browser, trimmed for revenue that will please enterprise worldwide.
It also will ease fingerprinting and tracking, that will please three and even more letter agencies worldwide.
No wonder that this browser managed in short time to gain the largest market share and it's only the beginning...
After all it's the browser and the philosophy behind it that increases our wealth and our safety day by day.

Reply #83
Be that as it may, now you made me temporarily install Chromium (which urges you to sign in to Google services because it's easier and more secure). It offers the same settings but it doesn't share Opera's peculiar bug. I've attached a screenshot of Opera's odd behavior.

Reply #84
It's information that (a) there's a picture there and (b) whether it's worth looking at. I prefer to read, first and foremost, and this means pictures only when they add something to the text. When alt text is missing, textmode browsers (can be set to) display the filename, so I still know at least that there's an image there.

Originally I used to browse with images off (with old Opera) because my internet connection was slow and on the mobile phone it was to save data. Now you can call it just a quirky habit.

Unfortunately on news websites we increasingly tend to have videos. Sometimes there's a sensible caption or summary, sometimes not. Video thingies should also have alt text.

Reply #86
Originally I used to browse with images off (with old Opera) because my internet connection was slow and on the mobile phone it was to save data.
Those were good reasons to do so in the past but nowadays some things have changed to the better.
Now you can call it just a quirky habit.
:)

Reply #87
I finally got around to do some spring cleaning, and created two threads,

This thread can thus be closed, the Vivaldi public alpha phase is long passed.

(Later I should do something similar with the Opera threads, but that can wait for another spring.)

Reply #88
Abusing my admin privilege to post here, it looks as if you can't "like" posts in closed topics. I didn't know that.  :sherlock: