Skip to main content
Topic: Stupid Projects (Read 8943 times)

Re: Stupid Projects

Reply #1
[glow=blue,2,300]The Obama Legacy -- The Obama Space Project --
It's Way Out There
[/glow]

Quote from:      WIKIPEDIA     http://bit.ly/1yLzdK4    
The space policy of the Barack Obama administration was announced by U.S. President Barack Obama on April 15, 2010, at a major space policy speech at Kennedy Space Center.[1] He committed to increasing NASA funding by $6 billion over five years and completing the design of a new heavy-lift launch vehicle by 2015 and to begin construction thereafter. He also predicted a U.S.-crewed orbital Mars mission by the mid-2030s, preceded by an asteroid mission by 2025. In response to concerns over job losses, Obama promised a $40 million effort to help Space Coast workers affected by the cancellation of the Space Shuttle program and Constellation program.

The Obama administration's space policy was made subsequent to the final report of the Review of United States Human Space Flight Plans Committee, which it had instituted to review the human spaceflight plans of the United States in the post-Space Shuttle era. The NASA Authorization Act of 2010, passed on October 11, 2010, enacted many of the Obama administration's space policy goals..........[glow=black,2,300]continued[/glow]

"Under the Obama plan, NASA will spend $100 billion on human spaceflight over the next 10 years in order to accomplish nothing"

"Obama called for sending a crew to a near Earth asteroid by 2025. ... Had Obama not canceled the Ares 5, we could have used it to perform an asteroid mission by 2016. But the President, while calling for such a flight, actually is terminating the programs that would make it possible."

"With current in-space propulsion technology, we can do a round-trip mission to a near-Earth asteroid or a one-way transit to Mars in six months ... Holdren claims that he wants to develop a new electrically powered space thruster to speed up such trips. But without gigantic space nuclear power reactors to provide them with juice, such thrusters are useless, and the administration has no intention of developing such reactors."

"Without the skill and experience that actual spacecraft operation provides, the USA is far too likely to be on a long downhill slide to mediocrity."

"When President Obama recently released his budget for NASA, he proposed a slight increase in total funding...the accompanying decision to cancel the Constellation program, its Ares 1 and Ares V rockets, and the Orion spacecraft, is devastating."

"It appears that we will have wasted our current ten plus billion dollar investment in Constellation and, equally importantly, we will have lost the many years required to recreate the equivalent of what we will have discarded."

"For The United States, the leading space faring nation for nearly half a century, to be without carriage to low Earth orbit and with no human exploration capability to go beyond Earth orbit for an indeterminate time into the future, destines our nation to become one of second or even third rate stature. While the President's plan envisages humans traveling away from Earth and perhaps toward Mars at some time in the future, the lack of developed rockets and spacecraft will assure that ability will not be available for many years."

Reply #2
That looks like the most useless vehicle ever created. Unless they are planning to send advanced crews to pave the surface, that is.

Reply #3
I think the astronaut at the back of the vehicle is pissing. To that flag in front of him.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #4
Leaving aside the daftness of Smiley as his lot were involved in space and a distraction it is utter folly, pointless and of no advantage. The ridiculous sums would be better spent at home helping people than this adult daftness influenced by sci-fi comic youthdom.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #5
I want to say that this post is very good information to read up on. I'm reading things simple. Not too labyrinthine

Reply #6
Given present technology, a trip to Mars is a one-way ride. We were only just able to send men to the moon and bring them back again, and the distances between Earth and the Moon are much shorter than the distance between Earth and Mars.

Mars doesn't have much-- if anything-- to support human life--- which means we'll either have to cart a sizable portion of Earth with us or ship it on ahead so it'll be there when our guys (and gals) get there.

Yep-- it's a bad idea.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #7
Looking at Jaybro's link, I foresee another problem. Four astronauts. That leads to the combined problem of everybody getting on everybody else's nerves--- and intense loneliness. These people could go stark raving wacka-wacka before the next supply mission. Especially since this was a one-way ride and there's no going home again.

I wonder if the proponents of this idea thought anything out at all beyond the sci-fi wonder of "Star Trek"?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #8
These people could go stark raving wacka-wacka before the next supply mission.

Forget next supply mission because there wouldn't be one. After finishing the McDonalds Snackwraps and fries, they'd be on their own. Greenhouses for the colonists.

No beef. No chicken. No Portuguese food.

Reply #10
If this runs like it usually does, the women you actually WANT to see running around half naked never will. You'll see the Rosanne Barr look-alike women running around like that.. making you actually pray to go blind so you won't have to see that.

Reply #11

I'm not sure how I feel about this Stupid Project, so I'll let others weigh in on the project.

It goes under the rubric #freethenipple, an idea that is supposed to free women in the US to go bare chested, a right that men have in many places.

See this...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/femail/video-1098267/FreeTheNipple-movement-hits-NYC-force.html

...and then decide.

In the video it looks like all the nipples have exploded.However, stupid people solemnly talking nonsense are stupid people talking nonsense whether they have nipples or not.

Reply #12
I do have to say that the whole odea of the Mars thing is pointless. The cost in itself and forwhat is the biggest criteria and no doubt the sci-fi fanatics will dismiss that view as negative but living in cloud cuckoo thought streams can do that.

People going out there and apart from "experiencing the planet" they will in time get bored with the idea as minds set into realising that there will be much boredom lack of things to do daily. The mental effect will be a drain while you wait for the air and food to run out. Having a break will not work as you are stuck in the environment with no escape. There is so much need here to have money spent on this this utterly apparelling thing.

Reply #13
People going out there and apart from "experiencing the planet" they will in time get bored with the idea as minds set into realising that there will be much boredom lack of things to do daily. The mental effect will be a drain while you wait for the air and food to run out. Having a break will not work as you are stuck in the environment with no escape.

Kinda sounds like living in Glasgow… :)
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
On the other "important" topic: I'm in favor of nipples, given that most of us mammals have them… (Not that I've anything against freaks.) But I would pose a question:
If society is ready to embrace most forms of nudity, is it also ready to accept the unpredictability of tumescence?
Call me crazy, but I think not. :(
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #14

If this runs like it usually does, the women you actually WANT to see running around half naked never will. You'll see the Rosanne Barr look-alike women running around like that.. making you actually pray to go blind so you won't have to see that.

Works the other way around too. How many of the men that run around bare chested do any women actually want to see? :eyes:
( and why does that even matter? :left: )

Reply #15

Works the other way around too. How many of the men that run around bare chested do any women actually want to see? :eyes:
( and why does that even matter? :left: )

Reply #17

God would not allow that to happen!

Because some women are gorgeous, simple as that.

As with all of us, it depends on the individual.

Reply #18
Your earlier picture was nice and a whole load of impressive and juicy fruit.

Reply #19
This thread could also encompass stupid ideas.

Very good, that way I can express mine, there are stupid projects and there are stupid reactions to projects.
Those reactions against space exploration are amongst the second kind. Obscurantism mixed with hypocrisy.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #20

Leaving aside the daftness of Smiley as his lot were involved in space and a distraction it is utter folly, pointless and of no advantage. The ridiculous sums would be better spent at home helping people than this adult daftness influenced by sci-fi comic youthdom.

That's what was said of Columbus, the Vikings, and Sir Walter Raleigh.

NASA has produced many spin-offs:  "Information developed by space scientists affects air conditioners, automatic controls, materials, dynamics, fuel cells, electronics, robotics, medicine, and many other high technology fields.  Many new types of plastics were used in all types of ways.  Lightweight metals to build frames of spaceflight vehicles were also invented.  These lightweight metals are used in machines, cars, and other things.  Carbon fibre has been found to have remarkable properties that allow it to stand up to extreme heat.  Now it is used to replace metal in turbine blades."

"Since 1976, over 1300 NASA technology spin-offs can be found in many industries and in daily life. For example, computer-chip miniaturization, an outcropping from many of the early manned spaceflight activities, has revolutionized items we commonly use today- cell phones, personal data assistants (PDAs), cordless screwdrivers, just to name a few. Some of the most amazing spin-offs, however, have been applied in the medical field."

Reply #21
Today, Nasa's apparatus has reached Ceres after seven years traveling into deep space. Congratulations.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #22
Now you are dancing off jimbro.

Reply #23
RJ would prefer burning cow-patties to power the generator that provides electricity for his internet-connected computer… This "technology" thingie is a boondoggle! :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #24
Time for you to get out for a walk my boy and remember the thing that is free in America is the air.  :)