Skip to main content
Topic: "Should I stay or should I go?" (Read 22717 times)

Re: "Should I stay or should I go?"

Reply #50
STAY!

Vivaldi isn't free software. It is closed source, and cannot to be trusted.

Reply #51
Otter is (becoming) what Vivaldi could and should have been. Please keep the great work. I am sure there are a lot of people who are not posting here/on irc, yet they're keeping a close eye on this project, and are planning to make it their main browser.

Reply #52

STAY!

Vivaldi isn't free software. It is closed source, and cannot to be trusted.

Opera's bugtracker was closed. This was its biggest annoyance, because you never knew if they were tending to a specific bug or not. Looks like Vivaldi has the same approach. Nobody will know if their pet bugs are receiving attention.

Free software projects like Otter with open source and open bugtrackers add much to the value. Not to mention that Otter is ahead of Vivaldi in interface customisability and most likely will stay ahead.

Some promised features of Vivaldi look interesting though. I'd be watching what becomes of their spatial navigation. Right now old Opera is unbeatable with spatial navigation. (Actually, Elinks is able to do the same, but nobody uses a console webbrowser, right?)

Reply #53
Opera also said something about improving Blink's spatial navigation. Has there been any news on that front?

Reply #54

Opera also said something about improving Blink's spatial navigation. Has there been any news on that front?

No clue. I never used Chropera and never will. And this Vivaldi thing is also not much better. It gradually eats up CPU and there's no 32-bit version in AUR.

I prefer Otter for many reasons by now. I used to have some serious crashiness in Otter earlier but I solved it. Maybe I should start another thread about it.

Reply #56
@ersi, yes I can! ;-)

One thing is for sure, we need open source replacement for classic Opera, and right now it's hard to expect that Vivaldi will become FLOSS project.

Again, thanks for support. :-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #57
Hi! I've been tracking development of this project almost from the beginning and I'm sure it's needed even more now than it was before. Otter means functionality, means speed, means progress, means customizabilty! As much as I can tell it's from users and for users! Opera Software failed us and Otter is the only proper way to go! In short... EMDEK!!! PLEASE STAY!!!  :up:

Reply #58
I've been quietly following your progress with Otter since mention of it early on in the Chopera desktop forum (about a year ago), and was excited to hear about it - and totally impressed how you singlehandedly have done so much in such a short period of time than an entire Chopera development team seems able to do - putting them to shame.

I suspected that Opera had sold out way back since Opera 10 or 11 (to google - to keep Opera continuously 'broken') - how else does one explain the constant weekly regressions and mysterious new issues unrelated to what was worked on, started appearing. I knew the end was near, and I felt that other long-time advanced & savvy users suspected this as well.

Since 'new' Opera has abandoned its longtime users, I have likewise abandoned it - and will never download it or try it out. I am still using old Opera 12.15 because I have it highly customized & configured, and it does almost everything I need very quick & efficiently (esp. the many custom keyboard & menu actions, and toolbar buttons that I use daily).

Vivaldi will not be an option for me - unfortunately, even it is being headed by Jon Von Tetzchner (CEO), because I don't appreciate the secrecy, and it looks unimpressive - too little, too late - esp. for such a huge team he has working on it. So I have no interest in even trying it.

So Otter is the only option, and am looking forward to replacing Opera 12 with it once the main features I need are implemented - so, I urge you to continue developing Otter. Also, you yourself do not have much choice in a reliable full-featured browser, thus it's also in your own personal interest to continue building & perfecting it. Thanks for your efforts! And, if there's anything I can do to help the cause, please let me know.

Reply #59
@per4mance, fun fact, for long time I was using weeklies as main browser, as there were periods of extreme stability there (at least until HW acceleration... Linux combined with Intel graphics was third class citizen), so changes are more "blurred" from my point of view, as they were often gradual.
I remember that I started to dislike where they are going when they attempted for first time to "catch-up" with Chrome by killing off favicons everywhere except tab handle, while personally I'm abusing list of recently visited URLs (bookmarks? I use the rarely, for stuff to be checked out later, or so rarely that otherwise they would be lost due to browsing history limits) which got disabled by default and was not usable without favicons.
After long and unnecessary tensions (even neutral comments got deleted then) they added some of that stuff back, but disabled by default...

Then there was Opera Mobile 14 for Android, that was scary, total regression, slow as hell, without features.
But almost exactly the same as Opera 15 (WTF bumping number again if they were almost identical?), although the latter performed way better on desktop at least (at least enough powerful ones).

Reply #60
+100 to stay ;)
Please keep up the great work!
Otter is the way to go! I am using windows as my main OS, and there are no good browsers that I would use instead.
I tried everything from Chropera, Firefox, Chrome, IE and the not so mainstream ones like Seamonkey, Maxthon and so on. Not a single one was as good as the old Opera and even as the early betas and weeklies from Otter. Only thing I didn´t like at the Opera Presto was rendering of some sites.
Today my companies IT decided to restrict even my Chrome settings (not only the IE or Firefox which is already since a while), so I use Otter portable now to get the experience I´d like to have.
Don´t let the project die :)

Reply #61
s many others in this post, I've been silently watching this project since I discovered back in February last year. Since then, I wrote many articles about Otter in my personal blog, and I followed discussions on this forum. I have to say that when I first heard about this project I was very excited, I mean, Opera was my browser of choice since version 9.64 but when they simply stop supporting Linux I started to search for alternatives. I tryed Maxthon, Firefox and many others open source browsers but none was the way I wanted it to be. Otter was, and still is the browser that suits my needs better.

As many others, Vivaldi is NOT a choice for me because of its closed source nature and the ugly interface.

So, please continue to work at this project, keep on the amazing work you've done so far :)

P.S. I am the guy who asked the Faenza-Flattr developer to add an icon for Otter in his theme :P

Reply #62
Stay!

Vivaldi is just another Chromium fork, based on garbage google technology, it will never have the same possibilites than Opera. Besides Vivaldi will never listen for the diehardcore Opera user's complains and requests.
Anyoney who designs or develops Otter, just wants the best browser and nothing else. Vivaldi just wants the Opera users and nothing else. Beside, even the "blank" engine is a reason enough to avoid it like the devil.
If Otter Team really thinks "Web browser controlled by the user, not vice-versa" seriously, then you should avoid implementing anything which is connected to google, the "second microsoft", the most likely candidate for an "internet big brother".
I mean, is there any important stuff, which is not work with WebKit, but only with blink?

(Why are there verification for a logged user?)

Reply #63
I mean, is there any important stuff, which is not work with WebKit, but only with blink?

That would depend on what you consider important. ;)

(Why are there verification for a logged user?)

Anything unfriendly can be blamed on spammers. It was a first post only thing, but I'll experiment with turning it back off.

Reply #64
Again, thanks for support. :-)

Now I can say that nothing is going to change  any time soon (well, except extra motivation to try to accelerate development speed), so we can consider this topic exhausted.

Just one note, please keep it calm, while current situation is not a perfect one it is for sure better than having no usable browsers anymore (as Firefox appears to following wrong path...).
Now we have a chance to have at least two. ;-)

And keep in mind that these people brought classic Opera to the world in the first place.

Closing topic for now, lets resume normal activities and go back working towards brighter future. :-)