Skip to main content
Topic: Grammatical Mutterings (Read 43064 times)

Re: Grammatical Mutterings

Reply #75
Repent.

Reply #77
What do you mean, "who"? One would repent an action, not a person.

Reply #83
Belfrager only peats. Get with the program. ;)

Reply #84
The internet is loaded with misspellings and other gaffes. How about a radar that can spot angels at a certain hight?
The Wurzburg Radar: satellite dishes had a range of around 30 klm. And were extremely accurate for measuring angels for the hight of incoming aircraft.

Reply #86
Hush, Josh. :lol:

Reply #87

The internet is loaded with misspellings and other gaffes. How about a radar that can spot angels at a certain hight?
The Wurzburg Radar: satellite dishes had a range of around 30 klm. And were extremely accurate for measuring angels for the hight of incoming aircraft.

Non Angeli sunt, sed angli.

Reply #90
I don't speak Aussie, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest it refers to Mary J.  :sherlock:

Reply #91
Well, "according" to their clip, it was "head" referring to the inners of their "fried-out combie", huh?;)

Reply #92
Not exactly grammatical, but then neither was the last page or two.

Shakespeare in the original pronunciation sounds a bit like a cross between a Scottish and an American accent (and not at all like RP). Of course, I've always read that American English is a lot closer to Shakespeare's English, but it's pretty cool to hear the reconstruction.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s[/video]

Reply #94
We have a pretty good idea of what Middle Dutch and Middle English sounded like. But for some reason we never pay much attention to the pronunciation of Early Modern X, because the whole Modern aspect means it's close enough to today that we don't have to bother too much with the correct pronunciation.

I'd imagine something similar applies to Middle Russian?

Re: Immigrants

Reply #97
Where the emigrant is from plays a big part.
"To play a part" means "to act in a role".
The term "emigrant" refers to those who, having left their motherland (often unwillingly/reluctantly), have not broken their (often spiritual) connection to the place they've come from. Usually the term is used referring to particular exodi: Russians from Soviet Russia, German citizens from Nazi Germany, etc. Often such people do not even haste to acquire the citizenship of the host country.

Reply #98
"To play a part" has been metaphorically used meaning "to participate in something" for so long that it is a stretch to call its current usage metaphorical. This is not a usage that is incorrect, like how people misuse begging the question. The oldest quotation in the OED dates back to 1596: Raigne of Edward III sig. A4v, "Bearest thou a part in this conspiracy?"

Reply #99

Shakespeare in the original pronunciation sounds a bit like a cross between a Scottish and an American accent (and not at all like RP). Of course, I've always read that American English is a lot closer to Shakespeare's English, but it's pretty cool to hear the reconstruction.

Kind of kool. So instead of  'aving a speak like a pirate day, we should have a speak like a Shakespearian?