Skip to main content
Topic: History in excess… (Read 12714 times)

Re: History in excess…

Reply #25
It is all history.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #26
I guess history is forgotten […]

One typical prelude to the onset of "excess history"… :)
———————————————————————
James, you might find something of interest (and an inkling of understanding, of my interests and viewpoints) in this recent paper
Try it! You might like it!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #27
James, you might find something of interest (and an inkling of understanding, of my interests and viewpoints) in this recent paper
Try it! You might like it!

It seems to me that the 'rule of the dead' can never be eliminated from our constitution, lest we have our constitution be so generalized in its form as to make in an ineffective document altogether.  Jefferson as well as Paine suggested a new constitution be written every 19 years (30 years for Paine), which is simply imposing more 'rule of the dead' to a generation that is perhaps quite content and prefers to allow sleeping dogs to lie.  The choice between a permanent or temporary constitution is important if for no other reason than the ways it will affect constitutional change in the future.  However, it is not a choice that allows the present generation to disclaim responsibility for what happens in the future.  What we choose today affects tomorrow--sounds a lot like both law and life, eh?  It seems we will always be rowing against the current and brought back perpetually into the past.  History in excess.   :knight:  :cheers:

EDIT: History in excess?  Or perhaps the best we can do for now until science figures this all out...lol. 
James J

Reply #28
History in excess? Maybe. Every day we keep making more of it, so I guess there's no chance of a shortage of history any time soon.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #29
Some would say that we need less history and more herstory.

Reply #30
History in excess? Well the Yesterday Channel has been going over and over WW2 and SS atrocities to the point of nullifying much and to the point of sighing.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #31
A period and a question mark!? Well, it's a start…
进行 ...

Reply #33
What we choose today affects tomorrow--sounds a lot like both law and life, eh?

Had you got far enough into the article to read the words:
[…] the conservative legal movement’s adoption of originalism was no mere happenstance or relationship of convenience. It is, rather, founded on shared philosophical premises: a belief in the value of the past, the duties of the present, and the delicacy of a legal regime founded on both. Originalism, properly understood, has endeavored to preserve — and where necessary, restore — that regime in the face of relentless scholarly criticism, political attacks, and the ever-present desire to break free from
the constraints that prevent us from doing what we will
(emphasis added)
I'm not sure you will understand my point, even with the underlining…
But put it in another context: Scientific consensus… Can you not see the difference? And why they must be different…?

You do -despite being a non-religious- accept some common morality? From whence does it come?
(Did you just accept what others did…? Did you grok it, on your own? — There seem to be no other sources left to you, James!) If you don't know -or care- where it comes from, then you are un-interested. (And, hence, not allowed to argue… :) )

[…} (Oops! Tired! Must sleep… You can continue to think, if you'd like; I've no problem with considered opinions!)
进行 ...

Reply #34
I'm not sure you will understand my point, even with the underlining…
But put it in another context: Scientific consensus… Can you not see the difference? And why they must be different…?

"...from doing what we will".  The illusion of free will is great indeed and no one will  ever live their life as if they have no free will (not even lunatics).  Everything we think, do and say is based on the past; every thought that crosses your mind is downstream from unconscious thinking that draws on and arrives at conscious choices by the only means it can--past experience.  Trace your morality and all else back to what you learned from parents, peers and environment and continue tracing all of that back until you reach the big bang.  If you had the free will to choose the next thought that will come into your mind, then you would have the ability to think of it before you ever actually thought it.  Or try 'free willing' your way out of the next morning's constitutional--the past and science dictate all that we do. 

An aimless and unguided universe was set in motion some 13.8 billion years ago and progressed naturally to its present state.  The universe had no free will to decide on what was to happen next, it just did what it did according to the laws of nature governing it--those laws are the only "gods".  Life is nothing special except when we look back at the past and see the long (yet simple) processes involved to bring it all about.  As intelligent life, we are in awe of the fact that we can comprehend the universe and ourselves--we simply haven't got used to the idea yet.  Before we could comprehend the universe we invented gods that explained it in the unscientific way of our thinking at that time.  Inevitably some continue that primitive thinking, but time will soon erase it all like a bad dream that is erased upon awakening to reality. 

The past is what keeps us doing what we do and there is no free will to do otherwise, everything is built upon and guided by the past.  There is no present or future, it is all the past.  The present is fleeting into the past instantaneously down to the Plank level of time, beyond which any measurement of time and hence, time itself, simply does not exist.  The future does the same and so, it is never arrived at (not arrivable?).  Therefore, history (in excess?) is indispensable merely because it is the only mechanism at work that causes us (and all else), to evolve.  Of course I grokked it all--how do you do it?   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #35
The illusion of free will is great indeed

That bit of pseudo-philosophy is little more than op art, you know? :)
进行 ...

Reply #36
Cool beans.   :knight: :cheers:

EDIT: I should have added that my last comment was the byproduct of an exotic Sangria made with strawberry-kiwi-pomegranate a fine bottle of Chardonnay and a rather gifted tropical rum called Flor de Caña, drunk in the warm Florida sunshine while being distracted by two scantily clad creatures of the fairer sex.  The cosmic blink of an eyelash of time that I have to be sentient in this crazy universe is fleeting and so I seem to be easily distracted these days.   Cheers my friend. 
James J

Reply #37
The cosmic blink of an eyelash of time that I have to be sentient in this crazy universe is fleeting […]

Sorry… Yet another piece of op art pseudo-philosophy: Are you familiar with the phrase "apples and oranges"? :)

I have what might be called a "legalistic" mind: Relating minutia - to a big picture- is, I think, my forte… (I'm probably wrong about that; I'm not as smart as I often think I am — my experience has repeatedly shown!) The various schools of philosophy vie for ascendency. But they all -eventually- fail. Why?
Because the categories they employ are — inadequate. To the task.

What is the task?

Perhaps that is the question I should have posed…

I presume you think there is no such thing! (But you don't really think it; you just react as you've been conditioned to do; and you'll reply, again without choice — a martinet.) When, I'd ask, did you "enlist" in this cause?
(Think back, James! When was your world so rocked, so shocked, that you decided that the best response was to absolve everyone of responsibility?)
进行 ...

Reply #38
What is the task?

Perhaps that is the question I should have posed…

I presume you think there is no such thing! (But you don't really think it; you just react as you've been conditioned to do; and you'll reply, again without choice — a martinet.) When, I'd ask, did you "enlist" in this cause?
(Think back, James! When was your world so rocked, so shocked, that you decided that the best response was to absolve everyone of responsibility?)

The task, sir, is to be optimistic, for it is only the optimists who achieve anything in this godforsaken world.  Relying on a god absolves responsibility for all fools and idlers.  My suicidal death and subsequent 'resurrection' brought it all home to me--I don't recommend it to others.   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #39
The task, sir, is to be optimistic, for it is only the optimists who achieve anything in this godforsaken world.  Relying on a god absolves responsibility for all fools and idlers.

Define achieve.

I've found the gods...from Anu to Jesus...to be unreliable because absent in all ways. :cheers:

Reply #41
Was 1995 a year of excessive (American) history?

Quote from: The New Yorker
Clinton’s affair with Monica Lewinsky is one of the five things that happened in 1995 that Campbell believes opened the door to the future. The others are the O. J. Simpson trial, the Oklahoma City bombing, the Dayton negotiations that settled the Bosnian war, and the rise and fall of the Internet browser Netscape Navigator.

Reply #42
Quote from: The New YorkerClinton’s affair with Monica Lewinsky is one of the five things that happened in 1995 that Campbell believes opened the door to the future. The others are the O. J. Simpson trial, the Oklahoma City bombing, the Dayton negotiations that settled the Bosnian war, and the rise and fall of the Internet browser Netscape Navigator.

The world is not prepared for American history... too much dense. Besides, it gives us vomits.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #44

Quote from: The New YorkerClinton’s affair with Monica Lewinsky is one of the five things that happened in 1995 that Campbell believes opened the door to the future. The others are the O. J. Simpson trial, the Oklahoma City bombing, the Dayton negotiations that settled the Bosnian war, and the rise and fall of the Internet browser Netscape Navigator.

The world is not prepared for American history... too much dense. Besides, it gives us vomits.

From the New York Times:
The Portuguese government said on Monday that it would split the bank, Banco Espírito Santo, into two. The bank’s branches, customer deposits and healthy assets are being spun off into a new entity called Novo Banco that will receive a capital infusion of 4.9 billion euros, or about $6.6 billion, from bailout funds the government and central bank control. The remaining part of Banco Espírito Santo will hold the bank’s loan portfolio and will be wound down over time. Shareholders and some creditors of the banks are expected to lose most of their money as part of the plan.

Banco Espírito Santo’s financial problems can be traced to dubious loans the bank made to prop up other businesses that were controlled by the bank’s parent company. Last week, the bank reported losses of €3.58 billion in the first six months of the year largely because of those loans. This was not merely a failure of the Portuguese officials who had the primary responsibility for supervising the bank. The European Commission, the European Central Bank and the International Monetary Fund share some of the blame because they have been intimately involved in Portugal’s economy and financial system for the last three years after lending the country €78 billion to help it get through a financial crisis. In May, the three organizations said “bank capitalization has been significantly strengthened” in Portugal, which suggests that they were overly optimistic about the progress that had been made.

More cork and wine, Portugal, more cork and wine. The PIIGS are a burden on the IMG and the EU. More cork and wine, Portugal.