Skip to main content
Topic: Middle mouse button / Dot for in page search (Read 3073 times)

Middle mouse button / Dot for in page search

I got used to a few things in opera.
Two may work already in Otter but I didn´t find ´em yet, maybe these are features which aren´t implemented yet. Else please correct.

I always use the middle mouse button for opening a link in a new background tab. Is there a way to do this? What do I have to modify?

Instead of pressing CTRL+F for find in page I used just the dot key. I tried in the keyboard settings to change this hotkey, but I couldn´t find the right entry in the drop down list.

Re: Middle mouse button / Dot for in page search

Reply #1
I always use the middle mouse button for opening a link in a new background tab. Is there a way to do this? What do I have to modify?

This works for me.

Instead of pressing CTRL+F for find in page I used just the dot key. I tried in the keyboard settings to change this hotkey, but I couldn´t find the right entry in the drop down list.

It's Quick Find. It's bound to /, but I think Shift + / is missing. In Opera . and , refer to the same actions as / and Shift + /.

It ought to work if you add . as a shortcut for Quick Find and move the relevant settings to the bottom.

Edit: typod settings as setings

Reply #2
Tested middle mouse button again and it seems it works only sometimes. If it´s not working I get the mouse scroll / move cross instead. Maybe it has to do with my mouse (Razer Deathadder), but it´s ok with other browsers...

Quick Find, great. Was always looking for terms with search  :P Thanks for your advice :)

Reply #3
@Zotho, which version are you using?
There was such issue with middle button clicks on links?, fixed some time ago:
https://github.com/Emdek/otter/commit/0d60a98b1b3a293560f5ee0c0184d5f967a48e55

I wasn't aware of dot shortcut, I'll add it.

It's Quick Find. It's bound to /, but I think Shift + / is missing.

What exactly should be triggered by Shift + /?
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Reply #4
What exactly should be triggered by Shift + /?

The same as ",". ;) It should trigger find previous occurrence, but Opera/Blink merely pops up the Quick Find dialog for the moment. But aren't you posting from Opera 12.16? :lol:

Reply #5

@Zotho, which version are you using?

@Emdek:
Using 0.9.05-dev 64 bit 7z portable, upgraded from 54 to 55 right now. Seems it has gotten better. Will evaluate :)

Reply #6
@Frenzie, comma works for me, Shift + / doesn't...
I'm using Opera Standard shortcuts.
Dot was already added, I'll add comma and Shift + /  too.

BTW, this wiki page needs some updating:
https://github.com/Emdek/otter/wiki/Actions
I'll update list of built-in actions in near future.

UPDATE
Apparently in my setup comma has the same role as dot, as it clears previous query...

Reply #7
Wait, it looks like "," is the mode where enter immediately activates the link. My bad, I misremembered.

I notice that Shift + / doesn't work, but it's definitely there in the keyboard definitions. I have no idea why this should be so or when it happened because these aren't keybindings I use myself.

Edit: wait, all this must've become messed up when they replaced the old-style inline search with the new one with the popup. Perhaps it's one of the things they broke in 10.50?

Reply #8
Ah yes, comma is find links while dot is find text. However, even in 10.11 it would seem that Shift + / is broken and activates find text.

No wonder I was confused. They already broke it like five years ago.

Reply #9
@Frenzie, yeah, that is indeed different mode.