Skip to main content
Topic: What's going on in the DnD Sanctuary? (Read 15936 times)

Re: What's going on in the DnD Sanctuary?

Reply #25
Are you sure?  :pirate:

Reply #27
I'm both surprised and pleased, that thread titles can be changed… It's an unusual functionality.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Cuba has offered to pay a £221,000,000 debt entirely in rum

Reply #28
Thread titles usually could, also in earlier incarnations, but there were often bugs, so they were changed in some places, but not in all. 

More unusual, but far from unique, is the feature of this forum that individual posts can have their own titles. Replies to these will by default be "Re: Title", email style. 

Reply #29
Hah, hah. I am colourful and not a snooty person......
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #32
I think every thread has unique. I've got a feeling if one of y'all start tinkering with his posts he might feel a little different.

Reply #33
...please, folks, don't let me "carpet bomb" these fora... :(
进行 ...

Reply #34
...please, folks, don't let me "carpet bomb" these fora... :(

Somebody gotta do it. If not you, then rjhowie.

A brief note on what happened

Reply #35
I'm annoyed it took so long, but a few things happened simultaneously in January and February that somewhat got in the way.

• It suddenly turned out that my cat Kuma had lymph node cancer. We spent a month with her while we still thought she had some quality of life. We had to put her down last month.
  • My wife's SSD suddenly died without warning.
  • Apparently the booklet in which she'd also written down her passwords has been lost since we moved.Logic dictates it's around here somewhere, but alas.

So effectively most of my spare time was spent with the cat, and I couldn't really do anything about the domain name.

Reply #36
Sorry to hear about your cat. :(
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #37
Thanks. :)

I think I fixed up everything now, i.e., replaced thedndsanctuary.eu with dndsanctuary.eu for the forum, themes, smileys and avatars, except I haven't updated existing links in posts yet. Let me know if you notice anything else that's weird because in that case I haven't noticed it yet.

Edit: link replacement done.

For future reference, I used this unoptimized query:
Code: [Select]
UPDATE elkdnd_messages SET body = replace(body, '://thedndsanctuary.eu', '://dndsanctuary.eu')

Reply #38
Let me know if you notice anything else that's weird because in that case I haven't noticed it yet.
Only thing I did notice so far, was that there was a bit of delay after hitting the Post button, but that was probably while you were tinkering with things.

Edit: Of course It's OK now that I've typed that.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #39
I meant more like images or links pointing to thedndsanctuary.eu. :D

Reply #40
Welcome back online :up:

Sorry about the cat :(

Weirdly, the site seems to not load in old Opera. Not vitally important though, I guess. Old Opera is really old by now.

Reply #41
That's probably HTTPS related. It might still be possible to update the root certificates in Opera/Presto, not sure.

Reply #42
This is very peculiar. The server has a setting for TLS 1.2+, which "deactivates outdated protocol versions TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1, forcing TLS 1.2 or higher. This may prevent old devices from accessing your website."

That's all well and good, and it would explain if the site didn't work on Opera <10. But while Opera/Presto doesn't support TLS 1.3 from 2018, it does support TLS 1.2!

In any case, disabling that setting works, and Opera/Presto says it's connected with "TLS v1.2 256 bit AES (2048 bit DHE_RSA/SHA-256)".

It remains to be seen for how long this will remain an option, but for now Opera/Presto can still access the site.

Reply #43
That's probably HTTPS related. It might still be possible to update the root certificates in Opera/Presto, not sure.
PS If I'm not mistaken the current root certificate seems to remain valid until 2031, so there's a distinct chance the TLS version will have become problematic by then. But in theory, I think it should be possible to download the latest root certificates here, and to import the downloaded PEM file in Opera/Presto this way:

Preferences → Advanced → Security → Manage Certificates → Authorities → Import

Reply #44
Weirdly, the site seems to not load in old Opera.
Works for me (on 11.64).
Had the problem with enforced HTTPS a while back; I can find the link for a new root certificate that I used, if anyone needs it...

Hello, everybody! It's good to see so many familiar avatars... :)
进行 ...

Reply #45
Old Opera doing good now :up:
I imported some certificates too, just in case 2031 arrives earlier than expected.

Reply #46
A little heads up, there's a chance that I'll look into upgrading the forum software tonight. My preparations from 2017 (:blush:) seem to be more or less ready to go. I hope it won't break old Opera too much, but without the newer version we'd be stuck with unsupported PHP 7.2. I'm also hoping it'll automagically fix the registration issues.

Anyway, I'll take a backup of the database and the files so I can always roll back to the current condition if it should truly be necessary.

Reply #47
Okay, we're back in minimal mode. I'll be restoring functionality over the next few days.

Reply #48
I missed you all.

Reply #49
I'm glad the forum is back, and I'm sorry for your cat (I understand how sad it must be that situation :( ). A small detail I noticed, is that using Firefox 52, the 'Likes' button does not work (it does not respond, nor does it give any error in the browser's console).
● If you need to get in touch with me,
you can find me in this place, here...