Skip to main content
Topic: First There Were Town Criers, Then There Was Radio (Read 2775 times)

First There Were Town Criers, Then There Was Radio

Yes, I still listen to radio shows, two to be exact, both of them on NPR (National Public Radio). One broadcasts classical music, the other a couple of oddities, the one I like most called Car Talk.
http://www.cartalk.com
Car Talk is zany and features the conversations of two brothers, owners of a car repair business. Oddly, they both graduated from MIT.
NPR is here...
http://www.npr.org
===========================
Tell us about radio where you live.

Re: First There Were Town Criers, Then There Was Radio

Reply #1
They used to put up all of their programs as podcasts, but since now you have to use a stupid online interface I mostly tend to ignore it.

Here in Belgium you can listen to the press conference about terrorism right now.

Reply #2

First There Were Town Criers, Then There Was Radio

In between there were also some... things. In my language, the word for those things translates something like yell-o-phone.

http://www.cartalk.com
Car Talk is zany and features the conversations of two brothers, owners of a car repair business. Oddly, they both graduated from MIT.

I hate cars. And driving.

As to radio in general, I used to like it,* but I suffer from overexposure now. It's work :(

* I liked the tune-it-yourself type, not the fixed single-channel loudspeaker or over-the-town yell-o-phone. In Soviet times I used to look up foreign radio stations and listen to the real news. It was awesome.

Reply #3
In my early youth I used to like playing with medium and short wave radio because that way you could get all of the international stuff. In the mid-'90s we acquired a satellite dish and thus perfect audio quality radio from all over Europe.

Reply #4
 :sing: Video killed the radio stars...

I like radio and it's a kind of media that unlike tv/video can engage listeners into a deep level of connection.
I have some ideas about a radio program in order to resist saxonic colonization aka globalization. Subversive stuff. :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #5

:sing: Video killed the radio stars...

I like radio and it's a kind of media that unlike tv/video can engage listeners into a deep level of connection.
I have some ideas about a radio program in order to resist saxonic colonization aka globalization. Subversive stuff. :)
An interesting point there Belfrager: although I don't agree that TV can't deal with things in depth, there are plenty of programmes which would prove that, but all too often TV is for "Butterfly Minds" . Sometimes I think programme makers are more concerned with showing off their imagined visual artistry than communication with their audience. With Sound as the medium one has to keep more to the point, I think, to keep an audience.

I'm afraid you're stuck with the "Saxons" (aka us civilised lot up here); suffer and learn.

Reply #6
My family owned a radio something like the one below in the early to mid-1940s. I perched on a small cushioned stool in front of the radio to listen to shows that I liked, primarily The Lone Ranger.

Episodes are available at...
https://archive.org/details/The_Lone_Ranger_Page_01

Reply #7
An interesting point there Belfrager: although I don't agree that TV can't deal with things in depth, there are plenty of programmes which would prove that, but all too often TV is for "Butterfly Minds" . Sometimes I think programme makers are more concerned with showing off their imagined visual artistry than communication with their audience. With Sound as the medium one has to keep more to the point, I think, to keep an audience.

It's exactly that. Television it's chewing gum to the brain.
I'm afraid you're stuck with the "Saxons" (aka us civilised lot up here); suffer and learn.

Nope, but you can learn the original lyrics of my national anthem last final words:
Against the Britons, March! March!
Some idiot changed it for "against the cannons"... such is life but I keep on marching. :)

Anyway an interesting reflection would be about the internet radio as a good diffuser. I propose we mount an internet radio station so we, the stars, could have their own show.
Live debate on Friday's late night.

It would be a world wide success and, if not, we would laugh a lot anyway. :)
Besides, I don't feel typing too much these days.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #9
There is a classical radio channel here and a delight and almost as much as the eyes of woman who meet from ages ago thankful having known me....... :flirt:
"Quit you like men:be strong"