Skip to main content
Topic: 'Curse my mother, expect a punch' (Read 8744 times)

Re: 'Curse my mother, expect a punch'

Reply #25
Straight to the point: what would you expect as a reaction for drawing cartoons about Islam?

Mild annoyance… Reasoned condemnation, for rudeness and juvenile sass. (You know: Adult reactions.)

But -wait!- aren't these Muslims constrained from depicting people…? Shouldn't they likewise be debared from viewing (or opining on) such depictions? :)

For those few who don't know: The Pope's infallability exists only in matters of doctrine (dogma…!).
Having a "rube" as head of Catholicism has worked before… I don't think it's going to work well, this time.

Everyone understands the "insult gets you a punch in the nose" trope. But (…we hope — don't we?) few understand the "insult me and I'll kill you, and as many others as I can" pledge.
Yet some equate these two stances…

Why? I wonder.
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #26
probably the worse thing he could have said

You've invented a new comparative: the worse… Shame on you! You deserve a thump on the noggin.
(Or can you explain it — as a colloquialism…? :) )

Of course, there were a great many things he could have said that would have been worse! What he did say wasn't even close to being the worst!
(BTW: I'll presume that your spell-check deserves most of the responsibility for this lapse: A great many of us no longer read what we ourselves write… As long as no wavy red underlining or highlighting catches our attention, it's All Good! :) But it is disheartening, when educated Britons make such gaffes.)

Did the Pope, too, commit a gaffe? I think so. So, I agree with you — mostly: He spoke without thinking. Let's hope he learns to think without speaking… Considering his influence (…yeah, that's another can of worms…) he should know to be very circumspect, no? :)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #27
The Pope stated the obvious... just that.

Indeed. I'm a tad lost on all the meanings being derived.

His comment seemed aimed more at the human condition than moral correctness. 

Reply #29
There is some humour in the situation, a cartoon in the Times Yesterday showed the Pope, having disembarked from a plane on a visit, with the customary face pressed to the ground.

A Bystander was saying

"Is he kissing the ground or head-butting it?"

Another remark I noted, referring to the Pope's simulated punch and mainly intelligible to England Football Fans;

"Oh no, not another "Hand of God"!"

Reply #30
Of course I missed that and can't find it anywhere.

Reply #31
Try the Vatican but ssshhh, don't tell them you have lapsed.
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #32
The very history of the Vatican has been centuries of killing in the name of God

Good, we have experience. Maybe we should scale it up, kind of maximizing social impact... trendy thing these days.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #34
I found it entertaining. The cartoonist is outstanding.

Reply #35
put 'Mericans taste there , and then it become ...

'Curse my mother , expect a headshot'

the argument is totally awkward ,  probably it is  argumentum ad bacullum , nor appeal to consequence .

not sure if he really mean to say that , or it is just the media  WOW Effect .

also , i dont think what he said is really mean,  what  he think it mean .

explanation from the original source is necesarry ---> Not interpretation from another people .
or probably  it will just trigger Personal incredulity fallacy .

on the other  hand , some people tend to talk some s***t as they want .
Disregard any etiquette , rules , law , etc .

But when the one discipline them , they spontaneously yelling --> it is freedom of speech .
yep , dafuq is that s***t .

perhaps  , there is no Freedom of speech in this world  .
There is only Principles of Freedom of speech .