Skip to main content
Topic: US military puzzle (Read 2369 times)

US military puzzle

I know every country will have it's own unique traditions but I must say I am genuinely puzzled on this linked list. Why are the marines put ahead of the Navy? After all you cannot have marines if no navy. And before someone starts hollering it is a query worth asking about.

http://www.mnpatriotguard.org/docs/MNPG_Backpatch_Insert.pdf
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Re: US military puzzle

Reply #1

I know every country will have it's own unique traditions but I must say I am genuinely puzzled on this linked list. Why are the marines put ahead of the Navy? After all you cannot have marines if no navy. And before someone starts hollering it is a query worth asking about.

http://www.mnpatriotguard.org/docs/MNPG_Backpatch_Insert.pdf

The Marine Corp came into being in 1775, about 1 month after the Navy.

The Marines were already a standing force, while the actual Navy was yet to fully materialize, until the following year.

After all you cannot have marines if no navy.

Not true in the case of the US Marines. 

The Marine Corps, being a distinct & separate service branch, under it's own commanders, though it usually operates with the employed services of the Navy, it's quite capable of acting independently of the Navy.

The Navy must be always be prepared to answer to a call to service from the Marines.

The Marines have reduced their requirement for large amphibious ships from 42 to a bare minimum of 33 ships....

Quote from:      Wikipedia          http://bit.ly/1DNYIdY          
In 1834, the United States Marine Corps came under the Department of the Navy.  Historically, the Navy has had a unique relationship with the USMC, partly because they both specialize in seaborne operations. Together the Navy and Marine Corps form the Department of the Navy and report to the secretary of the navy. [glow=green,2,300]However, the Marine Corps is a distinct, separate service branch with its own uniformed service chief – the Commandant of the Marine Corps, a four-star general.[/glow]

The Marine Corps depends on the Navy for medical support (dentists, doctors, nurses, medical technicians known as corpsmen) and religious support (chaplains). Thus Navy officers and enlisted sailors fulfill these roles. When attached to Marine Corps units deployed to an operational environment they generally wear marine camouflage uniforms, but otherwise they wear Navy dress uniforms unless they opt to conform to Marine Corps grooming standards.

In the operational environment, as an expeditionary force specializing in amphibious operations, Marines often embark on Navy ships to conduct operations from beyond territorial waters. Marine units deploying as part of a Marine Air-Ground Task Force (MAGTF) operate under the command of the existing Marine chain of command. Although Marine units routinely operate from amphibious assault ships, the relationship has evolved over the years much as the Commander of the Carrier Air Group/Wing (CAG) does not work for the carrier commanding officer, but coordinates with the ship's CO and staff. Some Marine aviation squadrons, usually fixed-wing assigned to carrier air wings train and operate alongside Navy squadrons; they fly similar missions and often fly sorties together under the cognizance of the CAG. Aviation is where the Navy and Marines share the most common ground, since aircrews are guided in their use of aircraft by standard procedures outlined in series of publications known as NATOPS manuals........ continued

Reply #2
Still rather puzzling in practical terms Smiley. Ok the Marines were second whist the navy was getting off the ground having beat them by a year. However the Marines were meant to be sea inclined and they would not yet have been organised either. So it starts with the start date and I still think it should be that the Msrines are in second place in every sense and the way elsewhere?

Reply #3
I love the idea of the Navy getting off the ground.

Reply #4

Still rather puzzling in practical terms Smiley. Ok the Marines were second whist the navy was getting off the ground having beat them by a year. However the Marines were meant to be sea inclined and they would not yet have been organised either. So it starts with the start date and I still think it should be that the Msrines are in second place in every sense and the way elsewhere?

Being the armed infantry, since the Country's inception, the US Army & the US Marines have always taken the first 2 positions. The US Army consisting of the much larger fighting forces were then, & are still now, considered the main defensive & offensive military force. The US Marines were always known as a specialized armed infantry force, who's main function was to be first into any theater of operations, & clear the way for the US Army. The US Navy was always known as the armored amphibious transportation unit for the US Army, but initially & most particularly the US Marines. When the American Joint Chiefs of Staff finalized their invasionary plans, if called for they would enlist the services of the US Navy to provide amphibious transport & protection for the US Marines (along with other support duties) until they brought the US Marines to the theater of battle, then provide amphibious landing support for the US Marines into the theater of battle. The US Navy would also traditionally provide cover bombardment to soften the landing sight(s) & close points beyond the initial disembarkation point(s).   After the US Marines secure the landing sight, & close points beyond, the US Navy would be called upon to provide transport to the US Army, who would then take over the secured theater when handed off to them by the US Marines. The US Navy provided ongoing transport of all tactical reinforcement, armored stocking, medical, & munitions to the US Army, as wells a transport for the returning relieved US Marine initial landing forces.

The start dates have nothing to do with who's first, & who's second, or in the case of your link, who's second, who's third, who's colors are presented in what order, & so on.

Being Army myself, I always took personal pride & gratification in the idea of being permanently first though. ;)

That said, on the Battlefield, in the Air, & on the Seas, we all lived, fought, & many died, equally side by side, under one Flag, against all foes, as proud Americans in defense of the American Constitution, & our American way of life.

Reply #5
…I can't believe someone thinks positioning in a parade is important to Marines! (They're always first-in…)
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #6

[glow=black,2,300]… I can't believe someone thinks positioning in a parade is important .........[/glow]

Positioning is everything?

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Qhbdijv5Y[/VIDEO]
Only to the Brits, only to the darling little bloody Brits ......... 

Reply #7
No wonder RJ was against the final step in devolution… (He's a dancer? :) )
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #8
An interesting summary of the history Smiley although I do still think it is a curiously odd listing that is not routine.

On a more important note I did once win a dance competition and would like to know how Oakdale guessed something. Maybe works part-time for all the security agencies and hey perhaps why he hasn't time for much else as there are so many of them!