Skip to main content
Topic: Something from history that decent Americans need to see (Read 17410 times)

Re: Something from history that decent Americans need to see

Reply #50
So in summary, anyone whoever has power over another has a tendency to abuse said power when it benefits the one with power. Machiavellism is a real thing I suppose. Power makes people psychopaths. I wouldnt be surprised if every nation had some dirty laundry that I shouldnt be proud of.

Reply #51
Germany and Italy

Actually it was Japan. Yeah they did too, but that doesn't make a whole heap of sense inside your rant... :right:

I can't decide if you've been reading youtube comments or if that just sounds like a youtube comment. :sherlock:

Reply #52

Germany and Italy

Actually it was Japan. Yeah they did too, but that doesn't make a whole heap of sense inside your rant... :right:

I can't decide if you've been reading youtube comments or if that just sounds like a youtube comment. :sherlock:

He does claim to have read a book.
He thinks this is so remarkable that he punctuates his claim with a "!"

Reply #53
US didnt punish war criminals in japan after wwii in return for information from the japanese human experiment reseach. Oh well.

Reply #54
US didnt punish war criminals in japan after wwii in return for information from the japanese human experiment reseach. Oh well.

Yeah, I've wondered why that never shows in a rant. Hella rocket program we got too.

He does claim to have read a book.

:eyes: A book you say?

Reply #55
The poor chap makes it too easy. Of course Americans did some bad things. We've existed as an independent nation in one form or another since 1775, and in that time a nation made up primarily of European immigrants forcefully taking the land from its native inhabitants did a lot of nasty stuff.

Germany right after the war was a basket case, food was scarce and you had to make what you had stretch as best you could.

RJ, ever hear of "Triage"? In an emergency with multiple casualties, you have to make decisions on who you help and who you don't help for whatever reasons. Can't help dead people. Shouldn't devote help to dying people when there are others who can be saved. Of those that can be saved-- worst cases first, lesser cases as you get to them.

When you have the whole countryside in starvation mode, you're looking at a triage scene. You won't be able to help everybody no matter how much you want to. So--- you make hard decisions. Decisions which will not play well later when your enemies are looking for anything and everything to use against you. But, at the moment you do what you can with what you have, and triage methods have to be used to do it.

Of course none of that matters to you, RJ, since your primary concern is dumping on the US and calling us bad names every chance you get. You'll look for anything and everything to try to bring the US down, and frankly nothing matters to you until you have us wallowing in the pig-mire where you think we belong. The whole thing gets tiring after awhile.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #56

Citation?

Reply #57
Citation?

Never heard of "Operation Paperclip"?
Wernher Von Braun - ever heard of him at least?

Reply #58
Wasn't it Germany who declared war on you?

This is basic history, Howie. America was supplying the allies but otherwise officially not in the war. The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and that's what forced us into the war :faint: I have to give you the primary school version because you won't understand more detail and it will be a waste of time for me to type it out for you. Further, you'll be disinclined to read it just as you were about the idiocy that Eisenhower killed in cold blood a million a soldiers of a country of already beaten.
**Irony meter explodes**

Yup. I'm been checking Tiger Direct and Newegg to gets us an upgraded, heavier duty one for dealing with Howie.
Hitler needed Goring to destroy our air defences and instead the RAF blasted them in the Battle of Britain due to the RAF being superior.

On a one on one basis, maybe. But the Luftwaffe still rained destruction down on British cities and airbases during the Blitz and the RAF was unable to stop them. And I don't see Britain being able to pull of anything like D-Day without America. The scenario of Hitler and Stalin signing a peace treaty still stands. With the Soviet Union out the way, do you really think the UK would have held forever against the Nazi war machine?

Reply #59
The RAF got a break, too. German Luftwaffe, in one of a series of disastrous mistakes, turned away from blowing up RAF airfields and such aircraft manufacturing as they could hit, and began instead to bomb the cities. Had they kept up the effort directly against the RAF, the Battle of Britain might well have had a different outcome.

It's amazing when you look at history and realize the outcome of battle often doesn't depend on who has the most equipment and men, but on who makes the most serious mistakes. Germany had a bad habit of making serious mistakes.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #62
Unit 731 link. That's a fun one. :awww:

Reply #64
t's amazing when you look at history and realize the outcome of battle often doesn't depend on who has the most equipment and men, but on who makes the most serious mistakes.

Sir, you might have missed your calling: Your statement (above) is profound, and correct!

You might consider -after you "retire"- returning to school and becoming an historian… You might enjoy it! :)

Might I also recommend — anything written by Harry Turtledove? (I do so, with no qualms.) He is a historian — and a talented writer.

The What if…? books were good, too!
进行 ...
"Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility." - James Thurber
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts!" - Richard Feynman
 (iBook G4 - Panther | Mac mini i5 - El Capitan)

Reply #65
@ensbb3: You're welcome. Another fellow Tennessean I've 'crooted. What is that, like 5 of you now?  :devil:

He's from the board I mentioned to you once before, SECTalk. Been a member there nearly as long as I've been a member here.

Been having a great discussion on Islam on there as well, @rjhowie.  :left:

Reply #68

It's amazing when you look at history and realize the outcome of battle often doesn't depend on who has the most equipment and men, but on who makes the most serious mistakes. Germany had a bad habit of making serious mistakes.

It's been my general impression that at the start of the worst of WWII, namely Hitler's assault on Soviet Union, Hitler had been gradually climbing to the pinnacle of power. He was carefully consulting with advisors, including military advisors, naturally, so as to solidify his positions and secure the best success for the future. As Hitler grew more confident in time, he began listening less to his generals and then luck turned, such as under Stalingrad.

Stalin on the other hand had already been a monarch for a while. He had already performed at least one thorough round of purges in the midst of his party and among the overall population. Nobody questioned his power. He decided everything alone. That's why he initially lost enormously, until he was forced to find people who make the right strategic decisions. Stalin had to find good generals (he had killed off pretty much everyone except Budyonny who believed that horses were by far superior compared to tanks; so Stalin really had to find brand new generals) and give them sufficient powers to accomplish the task that had to be accomplished. And then they finally began making headway.

Reply #69
Churchill wanted Ghandi to die

Reply #70
Is this the reunion from the "I fought, we won" thread in old My Opera?

Britain put up hell of a fight, would have fell without the Americans.

Let's put up a timeline.

Prelude
1900 Armies of Austria-Hungary, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States invades Beijing
1902 The United States annexes the Philippines
1905 Imperial Japan take over Russian colonies in China; Britain transfer ownership of Papua New Guinea to Australia
1907 Netherlands completes annexation of Indonesia
1910 Imperial Japan annexes Korea
1914 Britain creates Nigeria
1931 Imperial Japan invades Manchuria after Manchurian Incident
1934 Fascist Italy completes colonisation of Libya
1935 Nazi Germany annexes Saarland after referendum; Fascist Italy invades Ethiopia

War
1937 Marco Polo Bridge Incident, Imperial Japan invades rest of China, these days often considered the real start of World War II

1938 Nazi Germany annexes Austria and parts of Czechoslovakia (the Munich Agreement), securing peace in our times

1939 Nazi Germany occupies the rest of Czechoslovakia; Fascist Italy invades Albania; Nomonhan Incident; Nazi Germany invades Poland, the traditional start of WWII: Germany, Britain, France enters the war, British bomb Germany; Soviet Union invades Finland

1940 Nazi Germany invades Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France; Soviet Union annexes the Baltic States and other territory; Japan invades Vietnam

1941 Axis invades Yugoslavia, Greece; United States occupies Greenland and Iceland with Danish approval; Britain invades Iraq; Nazi Germany invades Soviet Union, Soviet Union joins Allies; land lease starts; Soviet Union and Britain invades Iran; Imperial Japan attacks United States, invades Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, and Indonesia. The United States joins the war

1942 Imperial Japan attacks Australia, invades Burma; Mexico and Brazil enters the war; the battle of Stalingrad, considered the turning point in the war.

1943-1945 The unravelling

Without the Soviet Union or United States joining the war Britain would have to seek a separate peace with Germany. Britain had Empire on its side (most of the time), but had a knack for losing battles they should have won.

Did the lend-lease turn the German Eastern Front? If the German forces had succeeded in at least one goal of Leningrad, Moscow, and ultimately Stalingrad they might have been in a less miserable position than they were. As is, by making the war in the East more bloody it made the war in the West less bloody in the 2 1/2 years of rollback.

On an earlier point, it would be very unreasonable to consider Hiroshima and Nagasaki war crimes. Whether they could reasonably be avoided is a different question.