Skip to main content
Topic: Happy New Zealand! (Read 9438 times)

Happy New Zealand!

That time of the years again, when parts of the world, not just rjhowie, are living in different years. New Zealand has made the transition, soon Australia's turn. Stockholm not for a while yet. 

Re: Happy New Zealand!

Reply #1
And now Australia has tipped over to the other side.

Reply #2
Japan, China, Thailand, and now India have followed Oceania's lead to the next integer, leaving the rest of us behind in the lower one.

Reply #3
I think everyone's entered 2015 by now? :P

Reply #4
I think everyone's entered 2015 by now?

Yep! and I slept through it. Happy New Year everyone.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #6
Oh, we'll always have 2015/2016, until the 2016 reunification.

Reply #7
And here we go again. A world once more divided. Some, like New Zealand, living in 2016, while most of us (for the moment) live in 2015.

Reply #8
Some, like New Zealand, living in 2016, while most of us (for the moment) live in 2015.

Will they live longer or die sooner than us? :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #9
Well, the Eastern Hemisphere is now living in 2016, while the Western Hemisphere is still stuck in the past.

Reply #10
Day of divergence again. Australia, Japan, China, and in a minute Indonesia and Thailand will be in one year, the rest of the world in another.

An hour or so more and more than half the world is in 2017.

Reply #11
Another Day of Divergence.

Sydney is in 2018, Japan will follow soon.

Reply #12
Happy New Year! in a few hours @ersi ;)

Reply #13
Am I the eastmost on this forum :(

Reply #14
Think of it this way: @Belfrager is probably the westernmost European. ;)

Reply #15
Until we get an Icelander. Portugal has just entered 2018, so right now a Transatlantic gap.

Reply #16
And, apart from some Pacific islands, we have normality.

Reply #17
You've never worn a fleece blanket instead of a scarf.
It's hard to tell. I have one scarf that was given to me by my mother in law that I think could serve as a small blanket.

However, it's much colder and less comfortable than real wool. (I kind of associate the word "fleece" with fake polyester fleece even though the word means wool, especially in Dutch.) Real wool keeps you dry even when wet and it's much harder to overheat. The artificial imitations keep you warm as long as you keep it dry but it's also very easy to overheat. Even when it's advertised as "breathing" — or perhaps especially when it's advertised as "breathing" it's much worse than the real thing.

Depending on what material you mix it with, it can work though. You need surprisingly little linen or wool to get most of the good properties. That being said, I prefer mixing linen with a mostly inferior but also natural substance like cotton.

Reply #18
This is the last converged day this year, the Day of Divergence is fast approaching.

Reply #20
Same procedure as last year: New Zealand is back into the future.

Reply #21
And now about half the world's population is in 2019, the other half remains in 2018, and a handful remain in the Middle Ages.

Reply #22
And now we are getting closer to the Day of Divergence again: New Zealand and the rest entering 2020, leaving the rest of us behind.

But later early adopters, like Australia (Sydney) and Hong Kong, may tone down or cancel the New Year celebration all together.

Reply #23
And now New Zealand is in a year (almost) of their own again, for another 5 minutes.

Reply #24
Cold out. ;)