Skip to main content
Topic: Attracting new members (Read 59460 times)

Re: Attracting new members

Reply #50

I agree that there is no need to panic over the membership level, after all we are only just coming out of the experimental stages but SF has made a valid point. Existing members are not doing enough.

1. We should continue to post in D&D (I've not been posting there myself so I slap my own wrist on that one)

If we combine that with:

2. All of us should make a signature for our D&D postings promoting DnD ... only some of us do this at present.

The objective of the above is to continue to make D&Ding an attractive pastime while coupling it with information on the "DnD escape route". Couple that with the occasional comment in the post itself and we have a lot of publicity going on. I can't imagine a reason why Opera would object.

Exactly the adult response I would have expected & hoped for. No panic (never my intention whatsoever), just an overtly concerted effort to make this forum well known & understood by active D&D posting members.

Quote from: An earlier post by String
.....I can't imagine a reason why Opera would object.

Think about it ...... How can they?

It was actually their idea that the membership find more adequate places to continue posting ............... when they forcefully get tossed out on their collective asses March 1, 2014.

Our friends in D&D need a new & improved home  ........  why shouldn't we help them vocally, rather than secretively or passively.

This is my OPERA Signature ..... you can use it as a guide if you wish:

Code: [Select]
MYOPERA is shutting down their forums forever in less than 60 days!

Need a place to go?

What will you do when it all ends here?

Try a new forum, run by the users, & made up of MyOpera Exiles!

NO CORPORATIONS!

[url=http://goo.gl/EtYO6m]The DnD Sanctuary[/url]

Maybe your old friends, or some of the people you follow, are already signed up there ... [url=http://goo.gl/YndZJ1] Look Here[/url]

If anyone needs further help formulating their signature, please PM me, & I'll put one together for you.

Reply #51
It seems that your idea won't work well: I've been hanging on the D&D so far, and almost the only guys having been noticed there are Katsung and RJ; there've been an occasional post from Michael, Jim or Frenzie -- but you see... You see. Also, in other forums I've encountered Steve Sgunhouse, some other MyOpera staff, and a few newbies or straw guys - primarily in the sections about MyOpera and Opera (which are of a serious doubt to go anywhere). Let alone that there's been a massive campaign about Vivaldi...  I've registered there, by the way, too, -- primarily for the purpose of reserving the name...  :zzz:  

Reply #52
Being defeatist is not normally a good way of achieving anything. I note you've changed your signature. .. and posting in the DnD Sanctuary thread in D&D is a good thing since it keeps DnD at the top like a sticky thread.

More of us here need to do as you did.

Reply #53

It seems that your idea won't work well: I've been hanging on the D&D so far, and almost the only guys having been noticed there are Katsung and RJ; there've been an occasional post from Michael, Jim or Frenzie -- but you see... You see. Also, in other forums I've encountered Steve Sgunhouse, some other MyOpera staff, and a few newbies or straw guys - primarily in the sections about MyOpera and Opera (which are of a serious doubt to go anywhere). Let alone that there's been a massive campaign about Vivaldi...  I've registered there, by the way, too, -- primarily for the purpose of reserving the name...  :zzz:  

So, what your saying is don't even bother trying, don't even give it a chance. A few people might have other ideas, so toss all Frenzies hard work aside, & just prance on over to Vivaldi.

Well, I think this place is worth it......I believe that if everyone opened a thread, & posted in the ones the already do, the word will get out.

I also think we need to support all Frenzie's hard work, time & effort.......with efforts of our own!

We can succeed!   ,,,,,,,,,   We can make it happen!

Reply #55
I see some on here panicking no one is here yet yadda yadda yadda

This is the first time I've heard of this place and here I am.

Putting it in your signature is a good idea - that's how I found this place.

I hope it works out here - these are great forums  :)

Reply #56
Welcome! I apologize for muddying up your thread a few weeks back.

Reply #57
No worries. With Pesala always jumping down everyone's throat, it's hard to stay on topic anywhere in there.

I'm going to change my signature there in hopes of bringing more people here. I keep reading about D&D - that's Dungeons and Dragons, isn't it? Is that where some are going? Or am I just way too old and out of touch? LOL

Reply #59
Ah, duh me!!! LOL :P

Reply #60
But I'm not keen on having the users maintain "heavy" signatures/avatars. It may get the site work slower and - which is essential for me particularly - load the pages less swiftly.
One thing is to show some image or even several in a thread - however sizy -- in which case the "heavyloaded-ness" is occasional  ---   the other is to have EACH of somebody's posts/replies heavy loaded:yuck: (which may even look untidy for me).

Reply #61
Well membership is picking up, in fact I note that we have been joined by the redoubtable rjhowie amongst other very welcome new members. A number have come because of the signature concept so that reinforces recent posts on the matter.

Reply #62
We also seem to have picked up our first 2 or 3 spammers—I tested delete on the one and ban on the other.

Reply #65
So where's our "like" button so we can do that instead of saying "great idea" or "thanks" or "good job" ?? 

Reply #66
I added something as a test, but I'm not too enthused about it. I'll leave it enabled for a little bit. I have no problem with +1 posts.

Edit: it was buggy; it added about a dozen jQuerys. Anyway, this isn't something I'm likely to create myself, so not for now. It'll be standard in Simple Machines 2.1 though, whenever that comes out.

Reply #67
+2 (I can't find it, but typing a + Number is quite easy ... maybe I'm old-fashioned )

If you use FireFox Custom Buttons, I'll be more than happy to make ya a simple toolbar button, if ya need one. 

Reply #69
Just was at Phucking vivaldi.
I'm not saying against that site as the concept, but it's slow.
By the... The way it's "by", a couple of DnD officers were noticed by me there. (Steve Sgunhouse is there but not here, also...)

Reply #70

Speed has absolutely nothing to do in attracting new members or not (unless hideously slow),  whereas content & usable structure definitely will have a positive impact.

Has any DnD Officer ever approached Steve to come here & get involved, or at the very least offer us an endorsement in MyOpera, &/or a public acknowledgment there of our existence & format?

His word, as you well know, holds tremendous weight there & any public acknowledgments by him would go a long way!

Reply #71
Has any DnD Officer ever approached Steve to come here & get involved, or at the very least offer us an endorsement in MyOpera, &/or a public acknowledgment there of our existence & format?

DnD Officer? :P But yes, Mac did at the very least mention the place to him.

Reply #72

Speed has absolutely nothing to do in attracting new members or not (unless hideously slow),

Just as an FYI but I really have no patience whatsoever with slow forums.  They drive me batty and I won't bother with them.  This one is instant so it's great.

Reply #73
ׂ

Reply #74
But I'm not keen on having the users maintain "heavy" signatures/avatars.

Not keen on them myself josh. Simple text signatures are what I prefer to see on a forum.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.