Skip to main content
Topic: Attracting new members (Read 59663 times)

Re: Attracting new members

Reply #75
Has any DnD Officer ever approached Steve to come here & get involved...
I did.
I did it at that very first time when I sent a multiple invitation via my mail there.
Just as an FYI but I really have no patience whatsoever with slow forums.  They drive me batty and I won't bother with them.  This one is instant so it's great.

Reply #76

But I'm not keen on having the users maintain "heavy" signatures/avatars.

Not keen on them myself josh. Simple text signatures are what I prefer to see on a forum.

Same here, but the existing ones seem acceptable. The forum allows me to set a limit to their size, which I set to 500x25 based on Smiley's new signature image (499x25).

Reply #77
Maybe DnD should offer to do the forum as part of a cooperative effort with Vivaldi, they just need to put a link on their site. Blogs do not have to be that quick.

Then we would probably get an endorsement from Opera and a link on their site.

Problem solved!

A bit of tounge-in-cheek won't hurt!

Reply #78

But I'm not keen on having the users maintain "heavy" signatures/avatars.

Not keen on them myself josh. Simple text signatures are what I prefer to see on a forum.

I completely agree.  Huge signature with tons of animation or pictures that fill up screens are just annoying and obnoxious. Sites like that, I turn the signatures off. I am usually on a 15" laptop when I browse forums so I don't want huge pictures taking up my screen. I want to read the forums  :)

Reply #79
The forum allows me to set a limit to their size, which I set to 500x25 based on Smiley's new signature image (499x25).
Gun control? ;)

Maybe DnD should offer to do the forum as part of a cooperative effort with Vivaldi, they just need to put a link on their site.
I may agree... But you know, I has issues with that site, and then I was going to consider starting a topic on that HERE - because of their slowliness/aka inappropriateness for me to use that somehow consistently...
myminpins, I've also had the signatures off on MyOpera. But here I see they are at the most part useful - mine, for example...:)
What's your name, by the way? I prefer to address my interlocutors by their names rather than by huijfvtrs.:D

Reply #80
You dare to ask for a REAL name on a public forum? ??? :-X :-\ ;D ;D   j/k

My name is Brenda. 

myminpins, I've also had the signatures off on MyOpera. But here I see they are at the most part useful - mine, for example... :)
What's your name, by the way? I prefer to address my interlocutors by their names rather than by huijfvtrs. :D

Reply #81
I completely agree.  Huge signature with tons of animation or pictures that fill up screens are just annoying and obnoxious. Sites like that, I turn the signatures off.

I block the images in peoples signatures anyway, that way I can still see peoples text signatures without turning off signatures altogether. Handy as depending on the forum in question there can be useful information contained within them that saves you asking oft repeated questions.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #82
I have no idea how to do that or that you could do that.

I completely agree.  Huge signature with tons of animation or pictures that fill up screens are just annoying and obnoxious. Sites like that, I turn the signatures off.

I block the images in peoples signatures anyway, that way I can still see peoples text signatures without turning off signatures altogether. Handy as depending on the forum in question there can be useful information contained within them that saves you asking oft repeated questions.

Reply #85
I have no idea how to do that or that you could do that.

Depends on your browser. In Opera presto use the content blocker. In every other browser (I presume) you would use an ad-blocker.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #86
"People's", by the way

Pedant.  :P 

Reply #89
I use Opera Next 19.0.

You would have to use an ad-blocking extension then.   :)

I still have no idea what Presto and Blink mean.

Just the layout engine, shouldn't really matter to the end user. Just the geeks.  ;)

Reply #90
I still have no idea what Presto and Blink mean.

Opera/Presto is Opera 7 through 12. Opera/Blink is Opera 15+.

IE's rendering engine is called Trident.
Fx' rendering engine is called Gecko.
Safari's (and Chromium's former) rendering engine is called Webkit.

It's not necessarily important, but if something uses e.g. the Blink engine you know it can probably do most of the same things Chromium can wrt displaying web pages.

Reply #91
Thanks.  I know on the My Opera forums, they're using the terms Presto and Blink all the time.  Drives me nuts.  Use the number, will ya? LOL

I know so far Opera 19 -- for me -- has worked beautifully BUT I have a TON of extensions on it so it works the way I want it to and so I have some buttons I want but it still is missing my most favourite button of all which is the +, -, 100 buttons that let me zoom with one click.  I have a zoom button but it zooms by 25% at a time and is two clicks to use.  Not nearly as nice.

(Yes, I'm getting old - I can't read tiny text any more)

Reply #92
Frans, Senior officers and everyone!
Having been attracting a bit of new members, as you say, we'll gonna need (along with all the boards and features working suffuciently)

• 1) certain Greetings to them joimimg us,

and
  • 2) some FAQ/Introduction to the features and opportunities being offered by the Airplane Base Carrier.
In order to have the latter, we'd better help each other right now to perform "crashtesting" - sort of which myself have started of late within the "Testing board".
I've been seeing you by now undertaking some voting efforts about there... But I might admit that you and me could do better.
I suggest we should test the site throughout, including the features within the Messages "board", settings "board" and all others. Then we're gonna to obtain the knowledge (apart from helping Frans get the site fine-tuned) about all the procedures, peculiarities, tips & tricks, after which we're able to propose a comprehensive, laconic etc. Guide to the Site for the hordes of new users we here seem to expect...
I'm finished

Reply #94
When you're trying to make your signature, there's no helpful things like the buttons "insert image" "insert link" etc.

I don't know if that's the type of things you're looking for though.

Reply #95
I actually had done that but then set it back to 100%.  I prefer to zoom using my browser so I don't miss anything. Sometimes when you zoom, things disappear off the page that you don't realize.

Therefore, I prefer to have my pages load 100% as they're made to then I'll zoom as required.  :)

(Yes, I'm getting old - I can't read tiny text any more)

In settings, search for "font". Click "customize fonts" and there you can set a minimum font size.

Reply #96
I suggest we should test the site throughout, including the features within the Messages "board", settings "board" and all others. Then we're gonna to obtain the knowledge (apart from helping Frans get the site fine-tuned) about all the procedures, peculiarities, tip & trick, after which we're able to propose a comprehensive, laconic etc. Guide to the Site for the hordes of new users we here seem to expect...

The Simple Machines developers spent years creating this system. You make it sound like I wrote it all by myself within a couple of weeks. :P

Edit: more to the point, they already created a user guide. I should probably link to it more prominently somewhere. http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Getting_started

Of course it's not a plain vanilla install, and especially the "My Bookmarks" feature should be appreciated by Opera veterans, as well as first post on every page.

Reply #97
The Simple Machines developers spent years creating this system. You make it sound like I wrote it all by myself within a couple of weeks.

:coolshades::)

Frans, I've just been having an idea that we shall create some FAQ or Guide for all those new users who's not familiar with either MyOpera's or this site's toolkit. I was incited by some people expressing their certain unfamiliarity in this area...
And - however myself or others could be wholehearted to help everyone individually - it's deemed better by me if we had some such Introductory guide here.  But, in order to sufficiently create such, we just need to be familiar with all the stuff ourselves, don't we? ???

Reply #98
Are people finding this forum hard to negotiate???  A forum is a forum, isn't it??  This one is easier than most to negotiate, I find, but is that what you guys are talking about, telling people how to negotiate and use this particular forum???

Reply #99
Edit: more to the point, they already created a user guide. I should probably link to it more prominently somewhere.
If we're talking about that "Help" page, I've found the content being probably not absolutely related to this exact certain particular site/forum(whatever). (Unless you mean something else - but still... ???)
For example there's 'described' some "Calendar" or some there, and I don't think we have any such feature on our AirCarrier, do we? ???