Skip to main content
Topic: Attracting new members (Read 59467 times)

Re: Attracting new members

Reply #150
Guys, stop shitting in the brand new home. Even MyOpera is not dead enough yet - when you're in the middle of mashing the Forum into an indiscernible chat mess. It won't attract such new members that I'd like to welcome here - seriously thinking guys who loves meaningful conversation.

Reply #151
I think that people should realize that DnD will be what D&D was. Twenty or thirty people (at the most) usually posting. We are already thirty five.
From times to times some unwary will be caught into the net without any effort.

There's no place "to grow". We are too much boring for the masses... :)
A matter of attitude.

Reply #153
Well, MyOPERA is on the brink of closure -- going read only momentarily or sooner.

I took a look a Wikipedia from a link that Google gave me when I searched on the terms "MYOPERA ALTERNATIVES".

While I found absolutely no mentions of [glow=black,2,300]The DnD Sanctuary[/glow] on the first page of results,
I did find a link to a Wiki on My Opera.

I searched that Wiki & just like the search results, there wasn't even a mention there of [glow=black,2,300]The DnD Sanctuary. [/glow]

Being that I think that article is editable, maybe someone with the know-how could insert a blurb mentioning the existence of [glow=black,2,300]The DnD Sanctuary,[/glow] at the very least.

After all the article seems to center on MyOPERA closure/alternative(s), & that  Vivaldi.net seems to be the only alternative to MyOPERA.

We all know that isn't at all true, but if one less knowledgeable should read that Wiki as written, it's the only impression one can come away with.....no?

The clock is ticking on MyOPERA, & about to chime...................Your thoughts???

Reply #154
I believe that Wikipedia policy prevents me from adding such a thing myself. For that matter, I'm not sure the text on Vivaldi.net is technically allowed because at least some of it sounds more like an advertisement than encyclopedic information.

Editing Wikipedia is pretty simple. You just click "edit" and the rest sorta follows by itself. If I were to add a text to Wikipedia, I'd keep it simple along these lines:

Code: [Select]

Another alternative to My Opera, which aims to rescue the more off-topic discussion boards, is  [https://dndsanctuary.eu The DnD Sanctuary].

Reply #157
Yes, we could fake the statistics and present 54 million users. Than we sell the forum by a fortune and I keep the money since it was my idea.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #158
Easier said than done. Unless you know of any really gullible millionaires. :P  :jester:

Reply #159
Well, guys! brainstorm!
Where can we, how - to attract someone and at the same time worrying about the community's spirit?

Reply #160
And one more thing: from now on my 'status' shows wrong - I'm not a "Hero Member" anymore, but SOMETHING ELSE:insane:

Reply #162

And one more thing: from now on my 'status' shows wrong - I'm not a "Hero Member" anymore, but SOMETHING ELSE:insane:

(Must-keep-killer-fingers-away-from-keyboard. :devil: )

Note: Unless something changed, Josh is still showing as "Hero Member" on the page I'm looking at.
What would happen if a large asteroid slammed into the Earth?
According to several tests involving a watermelon and a large hammer, it would be really bad!

Reply #165
I'll again reach out to John (the Nigerian dude), Cocoa_Butter, and garydenness.

Seems as though they have forgotten us, and all could add so much to our magnificent forum.  :cheers:

Reply #166
So  . . .

Our membership reaches 100 with Webmut!

:hat:

Reply #167
Have all those "Members" been vetted as legitimate, specifically those with no (zero) posts for over 30 days?

Another concerned member has advised me that there are also a few "sockpuppets" as well.

Any validity to that?

If so, shouldn't they (the 'sockpuppets') be purged immediately, & stricken from the rolls,,,no??? 

Reply #168
If so, shouldn't they (the 'sockpuppets') be purged immediately, & stricken from the rolls,,,no???

Banned accounts do not contribute to the member count, nor do they show up on the member list.

As for those members who still have 0 posts, that's a bit harder to say.

Reply #169
So 'SockPuppets' are a non-issue then, as they don't actually exist.......anymore.

As far as the 'ZERO Posters', or non-posters/non-participants, surely they should be purged after a specific/acceptable/reasonable period of time. Don't need a pod of attack zombies waiting in the wings for a favorable dawn if you know what I mean.

Reply #170
I don't see how one caactically decide which "zero poster" who wants to be part of our community and is waiting for the right time or subject to post, and one which is waiting silently with a terribly wicked subversive agenda but has not done anything about it.

But you're right SF to point out that the 100 figure is inflated for some reasons. I thought over that myself, but then it's like my address book which contains telephone numbers of people I'll probably not hear from again. I can't be bothered to purge it and, after all, why bother.

As for sock-puppets, if you know of examples let the admin know. Josh had some for example, but they been expunged.

From my personal viewpoint I'm not against sock-puppets as such. I used ggg-string in the Opera D&D for example as a "literary device" but it was hardly secret, the key point being that it being a sock-puppet was not hidden. If you'll pardon a well meaning tease, I think they are something which should be related and not banned.

Reply #171
I don't see how one caactically decide which "zero poster" who wants to be part of our community and is waiting for the right time or subject to post, and one which is waiting silently with a terribly wicked subversive agenda but has not done anything about it.

A long while back, when I belonged to a number of forums, a couple of them notified on inactivity with a polite, but succinct e-mail basically saying, if you intend on remaining a member we'd like to know about it, while there was one that emphatically made activity a requirement, & if you didn't become active by some point in time, your posting rights would be be suspended (you just couldn't post) & you would need to reactivate before posting. If I recall reactivation entitled you to 3 posts a day for something like 7 days at which time your posting rights were totally restored.

Personally I believe a polite email notification....the are you OK?  Can we help? approach is most favorable.  

Reply #172
As an aside, "caactically" should be "actually". Sorry about that!

As I wrote, I've wondered about the zero posters myself, but had no particular ideas for solution of the "problem". I put "problem" because I'm not sure it is one, many forums have much more members than active members i would imagine and it's only when some posts something silly like we've got 100 Members now (implying aren't we clever!) that it disturbs truth. There are a variety of reasons that people don't post eg
don't visit the forum any more because they are sick, on holiday or decided it was not interesting enough, have not found a subject worth discussing, prefer to have a good laugh watching people like you and me saying daft things and so on.
Of the things you suggested I like a polite interactive approach but responding to a non poster would require quite some effort, so I'm sure Frenzie would have an opinion on that so if we could find an automatic way to weed out posters and/or encourage them to post it would be good. I note that the system would probably need to keep a record of past members at least for a while after their dismemberment.

If there are statistics on the last visit, then that might be a way of selecting "serious" Members who nevertheless stayed around while not posting. So would not affect those that are our admiring but silent public if there are such, but would catch those that are simply membership collectors.

One approach would be to limit what a new poster could do until they achieved a certain number of posts (say 50?) (D&D had some sort of scheme like this in the early days but I forget what it was - maybe, if he reads this Jax might remember). I don't like the 3 per day figure - that is actually quite intensive for people feeling their way and not sustainable over the long term.

One device would be to prevent the new poster's use of links until he had passed the probationary number of posts (this would be also useful to act as a SPAM Blocker).

Another would be to block entry to Forum Administration & Future.

Whether this can be done with the Forum Software, only Frans can say.

Whether anything should be done - let's see where people sit on that.

One thing we must also bear in mind is how the Otter Browser Forum would fit into this

Reply #173
Whether anything should be done - let's see where people sit on that.

Just let the forum in the hands of destiny. :)
Inch Allah, I suppose.

A forum is not something that needs  to be build but rather a café - or a Saloon, depending on each one's civilizational influence, where sometimes there's a lot of people while, other times, there's no one.

Having strippers helps to the affluence, but I doubt that the world is prepared to watch us dancing the Can Can.
So, let's keep on drinking.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #174
One device would be to prevent the new poster's use of links until he had passed the probationary number of posts (this would be also useful to act as a SPAM Blocker).

Perhaps spammers will one day necessitate such action, but due to the lack of spam I'd think the security questions seem to be doing a decent enough job weeding out illegitimate posters.