Skip to main content
Topic: Attracting new members (Read 59770 times)

Re: Attracting new members

Reply #127
It all goes by so fast. :P

Reply #130
Here's a little exercise if you have an hour of spare time on your hands.......Goto MyOpera D&D.......Note the top 25 - 30 most active/visited threads with interesting subjects. 

Maybe you can take a snapshot so you don't get writers cramps.

Now, visit the threads, & follow the discussion's last 10 or so posts to get the gist of the discussion.

Making sure your signature has a good come-on ad, join the conversation, & just ask the people something like....where they will be taking their discussion to come March 1.....,.,or just simply tell them you've found [glow=black,2,300]The DnD Sanctuary [/glow]an easy forum to get used to/to navigate/to use/whatever, & the people are quite friendly.....you should leave a link in the thread itself  ----  ask them to give [glow=black,2,300]The DnD Sanctuary [/glow] a try.

Maybe you could suggest that they might  just want to start a new thread in [glow=black,2,300]The DnD Sanctuary [/glow]similar to the one you're in.......Use your own words, & be creative.

What I've suggested here is just that -- a suggestion. Use your own words to deliver a message that doesn't sound to pushy, but something that if you read it, would probably stir your curiosity. Test what you write with a reader's perspective.

Hey, maybe one or two of ya could collaborate. Have a tete-a-tete, & the people there will catch your drift by reading your collaborative interaction....just don't make it too obvious that you might have planned it.

Now do this for each thread.

BTW.....if one or two of us have already done this, so what.......saturating their minds with [glow=black,2,300]The DnD Sanctuary Brand[/glow] is what might get their visit....& any future or shy visitors might just see your post(s) & follow your links too.  ;)

Reply #133
We should up our post rate in this critical time before D&D closes to encourage our old friends to remain that way. Someone open a thread on Scotland please!

Reply #134
We should up our post rate in this critical time before D&D closes to encourage our old friends to remain that way.

Agreed!! -- Been there, doing that, & I will step up my bombardment suggestive posting until the very end, or my banishment ...... whichever comes first!
I will not pull any punches when posting the facts.  

Reply #136
Like I said before, Opera Turbo (or another relevant proxy) works magic when something from e.g. East Asia is constrained by some bottleneck. Could you try that next time? (also see here)

Reply #137
Agreed!! -- Been there, doing that, & I will step up my bombardment suggestive posting until the very end, or my banishment ...... whichever comes first!

At this level of bombardment it has turned into spamming, and that is counter productive. All your posts are now advertisement for this forum, and most recent posts at My Opera are yours. If I were a My Opera member that for some reason hadn't made the switch, I would be peeved. On the other hand advertisement works, thus I suggest no more than half your posts should be ads, maybe no less than a third. The rest should be regular posting.

Reply #138

At this level of bombardment it has turned into spamming, and that is counter productive. All your posts are now advertisement for this forum, and most recent posts at My Opera are yours. If I were a My Opera member that for some reason hadn't made the switch, I would be peeved. On the other hand advertisement works, thus I suggest no more than half your posts should be ads, maybe no less than a third. The rest should be regular posting.

The only reason I go there, or better put would be caught dead there in that shit-hole of a forum, is to advertise about coming here......to take part in any real discussions there when we have here to do the same would be a waste of my time, my efforts, & my resources.

...... If I were a My Opera member that for some reason hadn't made the switch, I would be peeved........
Why, because I call it like it is.....that MyOPERA sold it's loyal users out to quench it's own self-centered Corporate Greed, & that that won't happen in the only valid Forum of the Future ...........  [glow=black,2,300]The DnD Sanctuary[/glow]   -----   Because   [glow=black,2,300]The DnD Sanctuary[/glow]  is a forum for the Users, & a forum by the Users ...... no ex-CEOs or other Corporate ilk .... just regular Forum Users looking out for one another, for each others benefit.

Reply #139
Because first you would bore me, then you would annoy me, which isn't very good if you want to attract me to this place. I might stay away on spite.

I am not sure if there are any more people left to attract, but if there are it would be more constructive to be active on the forums, and then by contagion get them here.

Reply #140
I am not sure if there are any more people left to attract, but if there are it would be more constructive to be active on the forums, and then by contagion get them here.

I intend to continue posting in D&D, but in my own way, using my own style, telling it the way I see it.

If that upsets, bores, or disturbs some readers there, then maybe they aren't adult enough to enjoy an 'Adult Forum' like
[glow=black,2,300]The DnD Sanctuary.[/glow]

Well,  here are somethings I wrote a short while back, & it might hopefully clear things up a tad for ya:

Quote from: An earlier post of mine, in another place

Quote from: Frenzie

From my perspective, that argument doesn't really work. He stepped down as CEO in 2010, and in 2011, this is how he resigned from Opera completely (according to Wikipedia):

Quote from: Jon
Dear All,

It is with a heavy heart that I send this message. Next week will be my last at Opera. It has become clear that The Board, Management and I do not share the same values and we do not have the same opinions on how to keep evolving Opera. As a result I have come to an agreement with the Board to end my time at Opera. I feel the Board and Management is more quarterly focused than me. I have always worked to build the company for the future. I believe the foundation we have is very solid to build further upon.

I do believe strongly in Opera as a company, and in all of you working here. Our products actually make a difference for a lot of people in the world, and I wish you all the best of luck moving forward. I will be following the company closely and rooting for you all.

Yours truly, Jon.

These differences of opinion with the board seem to point to the difference between the Opera that I liked and the Opera that made an increasing amount of decisions I don't much understand or care for—including the killing of My Opera. I suspect my sentiment might be shared by many (My) Opera users.

Also note that e.g. Hallvord left Opera because he already knew about the decision to kill My Opera.

I think you missed my point.

I was suggesting that we accentuate the positives ............ That [glow=green,2,300]DnD [/glow]users aren't subject to the same Corporate pitfalls & Corporate abuse in [glow=green,2,300]DnD[/glow], because [glow=green,2,300]DnD [/glow]is run in the best interests of the Users, by the users, not a CEOish type.

What this particular individual CEO may have or not have done, or how he personally felt has nothing to do with my point(s).

User run
= Good & wholesome. 

CEOish Corporate run = Bad, Disgusting, & totally prone to Corporate Corruption. 

Capice?

Also, Opera co-founder Jon started a MyOpera replacement site.

http://vivaldi.net/

Go for both.

By all means.

If you like the way Corporations treat their valued & loyal users, why not give Vivalldi.net a try.

After all they just might be completely different than all the other Corporations like them who put their own needs ahead of the users.

For certain of one thing though, that The DnD Sanctuary at     https://dndsanctuary.eu   isn't in any way connected to a former CEO of anything, or any Corporate entity beholden to anyone.........least of all shareholders who demand profits that the Corporations, like OPERA had to get them.

You can take comfort in the knowledge you will have a future free of Corporate interests taking front seat over user needs.....,because it's run by the lil guys....the users just like you & me.

You won't be thrown under the bus like the Loyal Opera Users in these MyOpera Forums crudely were by Opera.

Clear, succinct, & to the point ..... but most of all from the heart & true.

Reply #141
You may consider giving links to MyOpera posts promoting the Sanctuary to your friends on other services, if they are friends (for now).

Reply #142
String is expressing hope and intent to gather more members here, whereas I have seen Frenzie express concerns for constraints of space - we as a whole should not go over a gigabyte. These two statements point in diametrically opposite directions concerning the future of the forums. Are we to produce text to attract new members, who in turn would naturally produce even more text, or are we not?

If we intend to expand, then I just got an idea. I personally am missing a blogging platform. I would go to Blogspot or Wordpress (and very likely I will), but why not give this place a chance?

Specifically, I miss a simple interface to enter plain text, mark some of it as code or pre, and hit publish. I tried to make a blog post at Vivaldi, and over there it's way too advanced. Plain text with some intended code here and there gets ruthlessly HTMLised beyond repair. I hate that wysiwyg interface with a source-code view button that demands a complicated browser to work with and in the end you still don't know what you will get.

I suggest a blogging platform with a web interface non-different from what we have at the forums. Just like at good old My Opera. This would certainly make me even more productive here, we would be able to reach 1 GB faster and declare our goals accomplished sooner.

Reply #143
I suggest we all embark on Mike's van and forum in Illinois, then moving to Great Lakes and blog there...

Reply #144
String is expressing hope and intent to gather more members here, whereas I have seen Frenzie express concerns for constraints of space - we as a whole should not go over a gigabyte. These two statements point in diametrically opposite directions concerning the future of the forums. Are we to produce text to attract new members, who in turn would naturally produce even more text, or are we not?

1GB is quite a lot. :)

Reply #145

1GB is quite a lot. :)

How much is it? Can you put up a graph in stats how far from 1GB we are?

And I take it that the answer to some kind of blogging pages is no.

Reply #146
About blogging... We take to Mike's van...
Oh, it's not that story:)
About blogging. Not everybody has itching to blog. Who has - most have sompm.
Here we have personal pages (profile). You have your own site and cite it? Well - you either have a blog there or, if elsewhere, are likely to reference it there. In case you do not have a site but do have a blog somewhere and eager to share it with us (THE us:LOL:), your "personal site" link here is waiting to acquire your blog's URL!:cheers:

Reply #147
How much is it? Can you put up a graph in stats how far from 1GB we are?

The current space used is 36MB, but the database size is only 5MB. As an overly cautious rule of thumb, you can say it's about 1kB per post on average. Also note that old posts can optionally be purged (although I'd back them up separately first). And let's not forget, even on My Opera a million posts took over three years.

Not as a general feature, no. I might (possibly, maybe) be able to accommodate a few individuals if they'd really like to use thedndsanctuary.eu/ersi, but not as a means of attracting people.

Reply #148

Not as a general feature, no. I might (possibly, maybe) be able to accommodate a few individuals if they'd really like to use thedndsanctuary.eu/ersi, but not as a means of attracting people.

Nah, I don't want to be individually accommodated. I really meant it as a means of attracting people in general - with features that I'd personally appreciate. Maybe my idea will sound more attractive at some other time...

Btw, keeping the size at 1GB sounds like a lot of maintenance work, but looks like you already have the tools at hand. I'm not at the device where I could measure the size of my personal email correspondence, but I'm sure it's 1GB at least. Sure, sound and video file attachments account for some weight lately...