Skip to main content
Topic: Attracting new members (Read 59656 times)

Re: Attracting new members

Reply #101

...but is that what you guys are talking about, telling people how to negotiate and use this particular forum???
Yes, something like that...
???

This is one of the easiest boards I've ever been on.  Very simple and easy to use but then again I've been online and using forums and boards for over 10 years so maybe I'm not the best judge.

Reply #102
For example there's 'described' some "Calendar" or some there, and I don't think we have any such feature on our AirCarrier, do we?  ???

"The calendar feature, if enabled by the administrator"

It's explicitly recommended against in this optimization guide:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=293441.0

Above all, I just don't see the need. I'm sure someone can create something on 30Boxes or whatever if they feel it'd be useful.

This is one of the easiest boards I've ever been on.  Very simple and easy to use but then again I've been online and using forums and boards for over 10 years so maybe I'm not the best judge.

I chose this forum software because I felt it offered the best balance between many features, fast, and easy to use.

Reply #103

But I'm not keen on having the users maintain "heavy" signatures/avatars.

Not keen on them myself josh. Simple text signatures are what I prefer to see on a forum.

Same here, but the existing ones seem acceptable. The forum allows me to set a limit to their size, which I set to 500x25 based on Smiley's new signature image (499x25).

Reply #104
Why, do you want something larger? :P

I could up the limit, but preferably not by much.

Reply #106

Btw, did you miss the cheers smiley here?

Reply #108
New members blá bá blá....
New members have to demonstrate they deserve DnD.

Always has been like that and I'm in no mood for opening "my legs".

New members start posting, new members are massacred, insulted and ignored, and if, and only if, they resist, then they become new members.
Always has been like that and always will be like that.

That's the D&D I, and many more, had, that's the DnD new members will have.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #109

New members blá bá blá....
New members have to demonstrate they deserve DnD.

Always has been like that and I'm in no mood for opening "my legs".

New members start posting, new members are massacred, insulted and ignored, and if, and only if, they resist, then they become new members.
Always has been like that and always will be like that.

That's the D&D I, and many more, had, that's the DnD new members will have.

Really?  Here?  I haven't seen evidence of this.

Reply #110
@myminpins

Here's how to read into that over-reactive   slop   astute personal observation:

massacred = disagreed with

insulted = spoken to bluntly

ignored = not agreed with by more than 2 subsequent posters

resist = follows up with more than one (1) subsequent post -- backing up their own original position

Welcome aboard!!

Reply #111

@myminpins

Here's how to read into that over-reactive   slop   astute personal observation:

massacred = disagreed with

insulted = spoken to bluntly

ignored = not agreed with by more than 2 subsequent posters

resist = follows up with more than one (1) subsequent post -- backing up their own original position

Welcome aboard!!

Got it!!! ROFL :P ;D ;)

Reply #112
BTW......my post basically massacred Belfrager using his terminology, when in essence, I merely disagreed with his excessively robust nomenclature.  

Reply #113
I've had a quick look over some old threads going back several pages; rather than looking at them purely as an historical archive I was looking for ones which I'd personally like to see active again.

There are a lot of interesting topics there. Many are of their time but some are worth revisiting. In D&D there was an embargo on resurrecting old threads but we don't have that constraint here or at least not at the moment.

My original thought was to send an Opera PM to the person who originally opened the original thread saying it was an interesting area and, as a courtesy, inviting him/her to start a similar one on DnD, asking for it to be done soon. It could also be a way to attract new members.

But there is a snag, namely that we are relatively few at the moment and flooding the forum with lots of threads can become too much to service. So I'll have another look at my list and pare it down for slow release.

But anyway it's a suggestion to everyone, but use with caution.

Reply #114
I've, as you might have noticed, started a thread here...extremely similar (but subtly different & not the same) to one in MyOpera.

I also (just today) started another thread here extremely similar (but not the same) to one on MyOpera.......whereas on that one I made it quite clear in my final post there, that I will not be posting there any longer, & that all my future relevant posts will be found here in the [glow=green,2,300]DnD[/glow] Sanctuary[/i] Thread I created.

I don't feel it incumbent upon us to notify, or seek out permission from the original poster in that other Forum if we can make a thread here on similar topics, regardless of how similar those topics may be. To do so, in my honest opinion, is ludicrous at best & totally unnecessary.

But, in the future I will consider doing so, under one proviso ---- that the Original Poster in that other forum signs up as a member here in [glow=green,2,300]DnD[/glow] prior to me creating a extremely similar topic here in [glow=green,2,300]DnD[/glow], unless Frenzie directs me as a future prerequisite, to do so.

Reply #115
But, in the future I will consider doing so, under one proviso ---- that the Original Poster in that other forum signs up as a member here in [glow=green,2,300]DnD[/glow] prior to me creating a extremely similar topic here in [glow=green,2,300]DnD[/glow], unless Frenzie directs me as a future prerequisite, to do so.

string does have a potentially interesting point in that we know these are people who were interested in D&D in the past. A prerequisite—hardly—but maybe not a horrible idea.

Reply #116
The idea I suggested was a device for persuading individuals who had posted interesting threads to join us here.Naturally we don't need anyone's permission to start a similar thread

Reply #117
By the way - I forgot to mention that when I did that backward look at threads, I only found 127 threads - Opera seems to have "misplaced" most of our old threads.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 

&&%$***$"£%& |||  !!!!!

Reply #118
Don't worry; they're still there. However, rather annoyingly the forum only shows topics with updates posted within the past 100 days. At the bottom, select "forever". That'll tell you there are over 7000 topics in D&D.

Reply #119
If you wanna do this, you gonna have to do it now.

• Those authors who's been around for some time recently, already know the news and are heading somewhere.

• Those who haven't, there's a possibility they'll come up too late to check their MyOpera mail...

Anyway, when you gonna catch them, then...

Reply #121

The idea I suggested was a device for persuading individuals who had posted interesting threads to join us here.Naturally we don't need anyone's permission to start a similar thread

I sincerely hope you don't take my post as a rebuke or rebuttal to your idea......it does have merits & I applaud your desire to attract those users.

Reply #122
I've thought of advertising the site amongst my 'friends' ("except acquaintances"!) on my Facebook timeline, but I see there are not exactly anybody speaking English (ex.4 a couple I've already informed) and eager to... What? mm...

Reply #123
@SF - No offence was noticed or taken. Thank you

Are you feeling OK? - maybe a lie down .....