Skip to main content
Topic: The Antipodes. (Read 4532 times)

The Antipodes.

Today is January 26, a national day Australia shares with India.
It is a day on which we take stock, give awards to a far too small pool of deserving people and to a far too large pool of people with friends in high places.
We spend far too much time on self-congratulation and far too little time in self-examination. We spend the day loafing, eating, playing, carousing, and enjoying being alive. We are a nation of simple people with simple aspirations. Our leaders do stupid things and we laugh at them.We don't condemn them and we don't forgive them, because we simply don't care enough to do either. By most yardsticks we are the richest and most content society on earth and if we fall short on one yardstick we will soon replace it with another.
I thought you should know.

Re: The Antipodes.

Reply #1
I'm always looking for a reason to celebrate and this sounds as good as any...thanks!!   :knight:  :cheers:
James J

Reply #2
We spend the day loafing, eating, playing, carousing, and enjoying being alive.

I'm concerned that there is no mention of  :beer: in that sentence.

Happy Australia Day anyway.  :cheers: :hat: :cheers: :hat:
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #3

It was with some dismay I discovered that except for some outlying islands Australia isn't antipodal to any land mass. Even if there is no fun beneath your feet, there's no reason not to stamp them. Enjoy.

Reply #4
There was an Antipode that I liked, Onetimeposter. Maybe he turned to a Pode instead of an Antipode.
I also like tt92 but at smaller doses.

By the way, all that "antipodes" were discovered by us. But we don't care about it.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #5
Mr. TT92, you might prefer this much more accurate map.
I'd like to become an honorary Aussie.

Reply #6
New Zealand rules!

Reply #7
¡¡ :jester: In an upside down sort of way.  :jester: !!

Reply #8
If you've sobered up by now, tt, I hope you can remember a really good day!

Reply #9
 :)

Reply #10
Not surprised the Portuguese don't bother about it now as the way the country is they have monumental worries at home!
"Quit you like men:be strong"

Reply #11
Not surprised the Portuguese don't bother about it now as the way the country is they have monumental worries at home!

The way the country is? Have you been here recently? Have you ever been here ?
Our "monumental worries" are so monumental that we even have time to laugh about what you say... you and all the others  saxons.

ahh now that I'm working at the third sector, you gave me an idea about a nice social impact project to help Glasgow.
Stay tuned, with a little help of this friend of yours maybe you can even turn a project beneficiary...  :)
After you knee in front of the Pope.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #12
This is some kind of record.
This topic existed for more than ten postings before rj managed to come up with an irrelevant and mean-spirited comment.

Reply #13
Most precise map. Not because being upside down but because United Kingdom is out of Europe. Finally.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #14
If it were only to be true we were out of Europe than we wouldn't have to be subsidising failed States like Greece, Spain, Ireland and of course Portugal. None of them could do anything on their own hence the Brussels begging bowl. However I am always hopeful.

Reply #15
North pole, South pole! Everything depends on perspective.

Reply #17
Just to the right and slightly above the anus of the world.

Reply #18
Wow great revelation there jimbro as ex-colonsists have never been good at geography. Excellent find.

Reply #19
:sst:  Where is Portugal?

Just to the right and slightly above the anus of the world.

You're getting senile, a condition that your family should care about, not this forum.
For the sake of decency about your condition I will not answer anymore to the symptoms of your handicap.

A matter of attitude.

Reply #20
If looking for Portugal may i suggest the list of those depending on Brussels handouts. It is well into that line.