Skip to main content
Topic: Kioskmode (Read 1722 times)

Kioskmode

I have reported how --privatesession misbehaves and I have suggested a --tempprofile feature.

Then it occurred to me to launch Otter by
Code: [Select]
otter-browser --privatesession --profile /tmp/null
and I am quite happy with what it does. It doesn't ruin my ordinary profile, and any traces it leaves on the computer are fleeting. However, when used this way, there's no way to get any permanent convenient settings.

And so I remembered that Opera used to have -kioskmode. It's great when you set up a public computer where you can provide a browser configured for easy basic usability and with excessive features turned off.

In -kioskmode, the user would not have access to settings and configuration. The app window could be maximized only. Bookmarks and sessions would be uncheangeable. History and cookies would get auto-cleared at set intervals even when the app never closes. On the other hand, if applicable from the kiosk provider's point of view, printing would be available and basic internet usability features such as find, copy, paste, search, would be prominently featured.

This is my big idea for today :) (I have them all the time. Must hold myself back not to write too much.)

This idea makes sense, for one, because Opera had kioskmode and Otter emulates Opera. For second, e.g. municipal halls increasingly provide free public computers. I think the trend is on the rise. Access to internet is seen as a basic human right already and if kioskmode is implemented with usability, accessibility, and common-sense restrictions in balance, it could be even possible to market Otter with this feature for wider publicity. These days of course I guess we should think of an entire little opsys configured for this niche, with Otter installed on the platform.

This idea would require a way to configure Otter from outside the profile. The profile would be set from somewhere else.

Anyway, nothing to get too enthusiastic about. Let's make this a good browser for power users first :)

Re: Kioskmode

Reply #1
@ersi, yes, that could be a good idea, although with very low priority, feel free to create ticket on github. ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.