Skip to main content
Topic: Evolution of icon (Read 7067 times)

Evolution of icon

Author of current icon experimented a bit with current design (left side), the biggest difference in new version (right side) is that the tail is now visible.
What do you think, is it the right direction for evolution of this icon?

There is chance for some more minor changes (if he will have enough free time), if you have any ideas what could or should be improved then please post them here.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Re: Evolution of icon

Reply #1
The author should think how the icon looks both as very big (like a poster) and very small (as an icon). The intermediate size would be emblem. All the three sizes would actually require different design approaches, but I think the amazing thing with the current image is that one design seems to fit all sizes.

The tail may look good in a poster or emblem, but not good in a tiny icon.

Reply #2
I agree with ersi. Details like the tail work for larger sizes, but are probably best left out for smaller iterations. Some potentially interesting examples can be found here.

Reply #3
Sure, for smallest variants we should keep using old version, maybe even with additional simplifications.
For sizes like 16 x 16 pixels tail would just add some noise.

BTW, apparently SMF has issues with preserving transparency for thumbnails...

Reply #4
I think it's either all thumbnails as JPEG or all thumbnails as PNG. It doesn't mention any improvements in 2.1.

About the tail, has the author played with the tail "hugging" the O? Might be hard to make that work though.

Reply #5
For a poster, I might favour a proud and adorable tail even though it would be quite an effort to design such on an otter. Imagine a blue O around them:

Reply #6
What's that? A South-American squirrel otter newly discovered in the Amazon rain forest? :P

(But seriously, that's a squirrel, isn't it?)

Reply #7
Yes, a squirrel. Otter's tail would not be as easily marketable, except when the designer thinks of an awesome posture.

Reply #8
How about a season version? You know, like this:

Except that instead of red we will of course need blue. Luckily just east from the West, the season is celebrated precisely in the same colours present in Otter browser icon :D

Merry, Christmas, Emdek! It's been a very good year of browser development. May Santa reward you plentifully.

Reply #9
About the tail, has the author played with the tail "hugging" the O? Might be hard to make that work though.

Possible, he tried some different designs before investing more work into current one, but that one could end up as a bit too big change.
Although it could be a good idea for some promotional artwork etc.

@ersi, nah, we could think about special editions after completing more important tasks. ;-)

Reply #10
I am trying out a KDE distro and I put Otter on it. You never told that on KDE Otter has a whole different icon.

Reply #11
@ersi, uhm, never seen that one. :-D

Reply #12
Must be included in a custom icon theme? Tell us which distro! :)

Reply #13
Manjaro KDE, icon theme FaenzaFlattr-Green.

Reply #14
Yup, it sure comes with a custom Otter icon. Interesting stuff.

Reply #15
Maybe someone added temporary one and forgot as initially there was none. ;-)

Reply #16
sometimes i also liked to design something .

no gradient ;

Reply #17
hello, my name is kanakomoerer. thx for your great evolution for otter browser.

Menu Box is too large. I think this box is 'menu' letter only or M symbol (with otter illustration). Please re-develop for this problem.

thx, :)

Reply #19
Bing.com background image right now is an otter encircled by the edge of icehole.

Reply #20
no disrespect, but otter's icon is ... bad :P
dunno how much its against the "law" to use it, but Opera 10-12 had nice alpha/next icon