Skip to main content
Topic: Food (Read 29357 times)

Re: Food

Reply #52
Not everyone cooks their food:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2SoGHFM18I[/video]

Reply #53
Always have been a fan of making Mac 'N Cheese when I am hungry.
Quick, simple, and delicious.

Reply #55
There's a video recipe available by celebrity chef Hannah Hart:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eNFjX4UHfo[/video]

(she also did the American adaptation)
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmHdRTX-g9Y[/video]

Reply #56
Dutch Wikipedia makes some unsourced claims that Sauerkraut might've originated in northern China, was taken along to eastern Europe by the Mongols, and made its way from there across Germany to the Netherlands with Ashkenazi refugees.

I wouldn't make such a claim, but the sauerkraut you get in North-East China, indeed several North-Eastern dishes, are practically indistinguishable  from the European varieties.

There are dialectal differences in Europe, mostly on how sour the sauerkraut is to be, and the Chinese variety is pretty much in the middle.

Kim-chi is different. It has retained more of the cabbage nature (not the same transparent soft thing), and of course it is more spicy. It's not particularly smelly.

Reply #57
Because a liter package of coconut milk is almost a Euro per liter cheaper and I really do quite like coconut milk, I had some in the fridge yesterday because I don't use a whole liter all at once. While obviously I knew that coconut milk solidifies — it already does so at regular (winter) room temperature — I discovered that this chilled coconut milk is quite simply coconut ice cream. Quite good, too. Surprisingly sweet at less than 3 grams of natural sugars, although obviously coconut also has plenty of fat in it. ;)

Reply #58
I'm absolutely tired with all these "chefs" and their food "culture" and personal marketing.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #59
Not on YouTube, but Vegorätt (Vegodish) is somewhat different.

Reply #60
A quick peek suggests it might be a bit of a "how to prepare just about anything that grows" kind of show, which is something I wouldn't mind watching.

Reply #61

Chicken Wings in Peanut Sauce
Total:1 hrActive: 15 min
Yield: 4 servings
Level: Easy
Ingredients

Wings:
4 pound chicken wings, halved at joint, tips removed if desired
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
Sauce:
2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
To make Wings: Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.

Pat wings dry and toss with oil, ginger, and garlic. Arrange wings, thick-skin sides up, in 1 layer in a large shallow baking pan and roast in upper third of oven 25 minutes.

Turn on broiler and broil wings, turning once, until nicely browned and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes.

To make sauce while wings cook: Whisk together sauce ingredients in a large bowl until blended.

Add wings to sauce and toss until coated.
=====
I made this recipe earlier in the week. Delicious.
Should be good with fried rice, which I will try next time I make it.

Reply #62
I'm making this tonight.
========
Pasta Shells with Peas and Ham

TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN SERVINGS: 4
INGREDIENTS

1 pound small pasta shells or elbow macaroni...I'm using the shells
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
One 10-ounce package frozen peas
1/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto, coarsely chopped
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup chopped dill
Salt and freshly ground pepper

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta shells until al dente. Drain the shells, return them to the pot and toss with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil to prevent sticking.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat until golden, about 4 minutes. Add the peas and prosciutto and cook until the peas are hot and the prosciutto is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the cream and stock and simmer over moderate heat until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.

Stir the cream sauce into the shells. Add the Parmesan and season with salt and pepper.

Reply #63
Because a liter package of coconut milk is almost a Euro per liter cheaper and I really do quite like coconut milk
I have since discovered that creamed coconut, mostly to be found in bio (organic) stores is better and cheaper. It doesn't come with any stabilizers or other flavor-decreasing though otherwise harmless additives, plus the ability to use it more concentrated gives you more versatility.

The more expensive Rapunzel creamed coconut more or less competes in price with the packages and cans while Amaizin is almost half the price.

Reply #64
I'm a fan of unhealthy foods. If you are too, you might like this recipe.
===========
This mac 'n' cheese, adapted from the book "Real Food Has Curves" by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough, is quicker and easier to make than the classic casserole. It is hearty comfort food that easily functions as a main dish for vegetarians.

Featured in: Vegetarian Comfort Food At Thanksgiving.

Kosher, Nut Free, Vegetarian, Broccoli, Macaroni, Mushroom  Mark as  Cooked  92 ratings 
INGREDIENTS
4 ounces grated Cheddar
2 ounces finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or other hard cheese
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 small yellow onion, chopped
6 ounces cremini or white button mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
3 cups low-fat or fat-free milk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon minced tarragon leaves or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces dried whole-wheat pasta shells (not the large ones for stuffing), cooked and drained according to the package instructions
4 cups small broccoli florets, cooked in boiling water for 1 minute (broccoli can be added to the pasta during the last minute of cooking, then drained with the pasta in a colander)
 Nutritional Information
PREPARATION
Mix the Cheddar and Parmigiano-Reggiano in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Melt the butter in a large, high-sided, oven-safe skillet. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid and it comes to a simmer, and then reduces by about two-thirds, about 5 minutes.
Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables in the skillet. Stir well to coat.
Whisk in the milk in a steady, thin stream until creamy. Then whisk in the mustard, tarragon, salt and pepper. Continue whisking until the mixture starts to bubble and the liquid thickens, about 3 minutes
Remove the skillet from the heat. Stir in three-quarters of the mixed cheeses until smooth. Then stir in the cooked pasta and broccoli.
Preheat the broiler after setting the rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source. Meanwhile, sprinkle the remaining cheese over the ingredients in the skillet. Set the skillet on the rack and broil until light browned and bubbling, about 5 minutes. (If your skillet has a plastic or wooden handle, make sure it sticks outside the oven, out from under the broiler, so the handle doesn’t melt.) Cool for 5 to 10 minutes before dishing up.

Reply #65
This mac 'n' cheese, adapted from the book "Real Food Has Curves" by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough, is quicker and easier to make than the classic casserole. It is hearty comfort food that easily functions as a main dish for vegetarians.
If that's unhealthy then a lot more people should start eating unhealthy. Admittedly I'd probably just eat onions, garlic, mushrooms & broccoli, likely with less or at least different cheese.