Skip to main content

Poll

Does it look ok now for you?

Absolutely.
Partially (not all browsers or so).
Some roughnesses...
Mostly ok (minor roughnesses).
Beer!
Topic: Looks and Appearances (Read 18089 times)

Re: Looks and Appearances

Reply #25
Edit: while I was at it, I also disabled the ICQ, MSN, AIM and Y!M profile fields because no one was using them anyway. I don't really care either way, but it looked a bit silly with all those columns being completely empty in the memberlist.
Basically it's allright.
But one guy seemed to have some of that schate.

Reply #26
Frans, in the poll, I checked some stuff that the guys can revote. What about "where's the button?"? By now, I've only found "Remove vote".

Reply #28
Frans, in the poll, I checked some stuff that the guys can revote. What about "where's the button?"? By now, I've only found "Remove vote".

So you remove your vote and revote. What's the problem there?

Reply #30
Two things,
one - why changing for such a big font? yes, I went to preferences and defined 14px, but unless someone has specifically asked for this, the older font seems to me to be perfectly  acceptable. No web site uses such a big font anymore.
two - I notice the change in quoting that I'm not sure that has any benefit. What  I think to have a benefit is to eliminate the date/time stamp that seems to me useless and to create automatically a space (or half space) between the quote and the beginning of text.
A matter of attitude.

Reply #31
75% = [glow=red,2,300]Perfectalamente[/glow]

Reply #32
ׂ

Reply #33
one - why changing for such a big font? yes, I went to preferences and defined 14px, but unless someone has specifically asked for this, the older font seems to me to be perfectly  acceptable. No web site uses such a big font anymore.

That's not quite true. Many, including Opera's, choose a font-size of 100%. What 100% means is not up to me.

Simply put, 14px can be large on one display, medium on another, and small or even illegibly small on yet another. On the other hand, 100% should always be legible. 80% of course should also be legible, but it still seems iffy because that's the "small" compared to the user's choice.

82% seems to hit the normal web font size of 10pt, although I'm not too familiar with Trebuchet MS to tell for sure (Verdana / Tahoma definitely would have fallen apart on anything but 8pt, 9pt or 10pt).

While theoretically points should work on any medium and result in the same physical font size, in practice points are only dependable in print. Or perhaps you're confused by the ancient Mac bug where pt and px were equivalent?

Reasons why? I guess the effective pixel density of modern screens has increased, and modern fonts no longer have bitmaps or fine hints in them to target exact pixels, and then we need type big to look good.

Seeing pixels never looks good. To get something that looks mostly good, you need at least 200+ppi. On my phone, type is legible at what would be a completely illegible 3px or so on my desktop monitor. Don't confuse using more pixels and larger type.

As an aside, DejaVu Sans is reasonably legible at 8px and fully legible at 9px. Of course it can't beat a true 8px pixel font, which will also be fully legible at 8px.

DejaVu Sans at 9px.

What's this have to do with Facebook? Last time I was there a couple weeks ago, it had many small panels around, and small buttons on them with small labels.

While it probably doesn't apply to everything, I'd say you can generally do the opposite of Facebook without giving it much thought and you'd probably be doing the right thing.

Reply #34
ׂ

Reply #35
I recognize that technology has changed, and displays have become larger. But the web has used the same 10pt font for so many years that is hard to change my reading habit.

10 points is 10 points is 10 points. Except on buggy computers, which I believe is still all of them. :P Incidentally, a CSS pixel is technically also a physical size:

in: inches — 1in is equal to 2.54cm.
cm: centimeters
mm: millimeters
pt: points — the points used by CSS are equal to 1/72nd of 1in.
pc: picas — 1pc is equal to 12pt.
px: pixel units — 1px is equal to 0.75pt.

That's theory. In practice, point is unstable and a pixel is mostly the physical pixel—except on an Apple Retina display where I believe it might be 4 physical pixels.

What's the average screen size of portable devices ("phones") today?

Mine is 3.3" with a resolution of 854×480, which is about average. Most phones sold today tend to have bigger screens and even better PPI. Like I said before, I'd totally use the iPad display (or two of them) as a desktop monitor.

Reply #37
While it probably doesn't apply to everything, I'd say you can generally do the opposite of Facebook without giving it much thought and you'd probably be doing the right thing.

I too think you could get far if you consistently applied an anti-Facebook design pattern. If I were a web designer and had time to spare for it, it would be fun to do this just see how far it would get. And write an article about it afterwards, obviously.

Reply #39
That would be the expected behavior seeing how it's set to "Only show the results after someone has voted." :P

Reply #41
I'd like this thing to get less fonted:
An international discussion forum for debating everything under the sun and then some.

For it looks now I've already pointed out how.

Reply #42
I've just found a trouble, Frans. With the polls.
Decided to adjust this poll with an additional option, didn't change much, but it occurs that after editing, the poll has lost the option for users to change the vote altogether.
I'll return to the tinkering a bit later: maybe it could be that something depends on other options - eg results visibility (which I changed to "everyone" from "after someone voted").

Reply #44
There's nothing new there, Frans, as to which I didn't know or get before. At least that part doesn't explain this particular behaviour.

Reply #45
I'll return to the tinkering a bit later: maybe it could be that something depends on other options - eg results visibility (which I changed to "everyone" from "after someone voted").
Well, I've tried rechecking the 'visibility' back to "after someone".
No help...

Reply #46
I've just found a trouble, Frans. With the polls.
Decided to adjust this poll with an additional option, didn't change much, but it occurs that after editing, the poll has lost the option for users to change the vote altogether.
I'm splitting the topic and locking the poll in this thread.
This thread may remain as the beginning of the coming and be considered "beta";)

Reply #48
Wow! so pretty! I like the new look!

Reply #49
Thanks. :) It's just a couple of colors changed here and there, but I like it too. Soon we'll have the new logo in place, too.