Skip to main content

Poll

Does it look ok now for you?

Absolutely.
Partially (not all browsers or so).
Some roughnesses...
Mostly ok (minor roughnesses).
Beer!
Topic: Looks and Appearances (Read 18069 times)

Looks and Appearances

Th-hh. Well, I see 1 point to 'report' now, but it may be needed in the future as well - should some roughnesses or inconcistencies are noticed...
For example, with 150% zoom on Chrome, I now have the "Logout" link directly beneath the "Home" one (which I use quite often).  Unless logging out here requires sort of confirmation (haven't checked that so far), it'll be not very convenient to mishit a button there...
I suggest we could lose "My" in the bookmarks link.

By the by!  I've checked - in the poll options - the box allowing you to change your voting, so...  Let's see - and let us check that thing as well, oki?
The poll here is locked: please proceed to the new thread: https://dndsanctuary.eu/index.php?topic=88.0

Re: Looks and Appearances

Reply #1
The title at the very top and the "DnD Sanctuary" link both above and below a topic also lead to the same location as "Home".

I'll remove the margin-bottom from #upper_section and I'll add a margin-top to .dropmenu li. That way the navigational items won't be so close together if they become two lines.

Edit: and done. Does that do the trick?

Reply #3
You may lose that back, it looked cosier.
And in your forum description line, when broken (by zoom), the "second line" hangs too far - the interval, I guess...
I wonder if somebody else uses the forum in such a zoom... ?

Reply #4
Well, Frans, I've found where to 'send a PM' from the members list.

• It doesn't look obvious - not quite.

• The URL is not too simple to discover this, and the tooltip shows "offline/online" - which is brilliant :P but other messaging buttons show messaging tooltips ;D

(PSST: Wouldn't it be sensible to make the "list" paraphernalia a bit more laconic?)

Reply #5
Wouldn't it be sensible to make the "list" paraphernalia a bit more laconic

I think it's just fine, but then again I can usually glean any info I need or want via other methods.....but again, for what it is, I think it's quite fine.  Want to send someone a message.....middle-click their name from anywhere & select Send PM (if available) .....       

BTW......anyone notice?  Who is test

Opened an account with a questionable name --for what reason-- a coupla days ago, & hasn't done squat....I don't get a warm & fuzzy there --- fails the sniff 'test' ....

Reply #6

Opened an account with a questionable name --for what reason-- a coupla days ago, & hasn't done squat....I don't get a warm & fuzzy there --- fails the sniff 'test' ....

It's me. I opened it after you said the My Bookmarks wasn't working. ;)

Reply #7

It's me. I opened it after you said the My Bookmarks wasn't working. ;)

Good then....glad to know it ain't no suicide bomber  ..... 

Reply #8
I played around a little with how the quote looks.

Before:

After:

Comments?

Reply #9
I like the after, much neater and tidier.  :)
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #10
Thanks, that was the intention. I thought the quotes were insufficiently distinguished by default. The two primary options I see are a proper left margin (classical print) and a thicker border on the left (wastes ink but this isn't print). I also thought the name was a bit too removed from the quote itself.

I was thinking maybe the "tab" should get a slightly more distinct bg color, but besides that I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Reply #11
ׂ

Reply #12
How did you get your second PNG image at 11kB while maintaining the right colors? I pushed my Gimp-generated image (at maximum compression already) through pngcrush -brute and it managed to get the after screenshot down from 21.1kB to 19kB. The pngquant lossy PNG I posted here came in at 8.4kB, but that's why the background color looks off.

Why isn't there a border on the right side?

I like the look, although the effect mostly depends on the border-radius. In the Opera 8 screenshot it looks somewhat silly.

Reply #13
I was thinking maybe the "tab" should get a slightly more distinct bg color

Yes that would make it stand out more from the actual background.
The start and end to every story is the same. But what comes in between you have yourself to blame.

Reply #14
I like the general looks of it, just as long as the statements of the one who's making the actual post is not 'boxed', only the quoted quotes should be 'boxed'  --  preferably with a shade or two darker background for emphasis that it is a quote.

Reply #15
I reused the color from around the Quick Reply in the little tab. It seems to work fairly well.  I'd probably want to implement a completely custom color scheme at some point, but that'd take significantly more time than a quick quote change.

I like the general looks of it, just as long as the statements of the one who's making the actual post is not 'boxed', only the quoted quotes should be 'boxed'.

The point is to distinguish quotes better from posts, so I think we're on the same page. What do you think of the way it looks on My Opera?

Reply #16
ׂ

Reply #17
The posts look okay in both cases. I'd rather wish they didn't have a chance to "pour out" on the right side, but it's a minor issue.

How about the 1px dashed border?

Updated with 7.77 kB using no prefilter (as opposed to 'sub' or 'paeth'). Screenshots work best without prefilter, but I don't usually bother with small pictures. Few programs offer the choice.

pngcrush should work out that kind of thing automatically with the -brute option, surely?

Reply #18

I reused the color from around the Quick Reply in the little tab. It seems to work fairly well.  I'd probably want to implement a completely custom color scheme at some point, but that'd take significantly more time than a quick quote change.

I like the general looks of it, just as long as the statements of the one who's making the actual post is not 'boxed', only the quoted quotes should be 'boxed'.

The point is to distinguish quotes better from posts, so I think we're on the same page. What do you think of the way it looks on My Opera?

Fine, always were easy to follow, but I prefer a distinctive BG color scheme...just a shade, at most two if using the same base color.....not necessary if using a contrasting alternate color on a direct quote, but similar to what you've done with your 2nd level+ quotes. Personally though, too much contrasting becomes confusing to follow -- especially when your viewing a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote....

Reply #19
Well, well, the people you come across while searching for keywords like PNG and prefilter.

similar to what you've done with your 2nd level+ quotes.

It's just the default theme. :)

Personally though, too much contrasting becomes confusing to follow -- especially when your viewing a quote of a quote of a quote of a quote....

Quoting more than two to three levels deep is questionable for that and other reasons. It'll also use up more space for me (not much, but still) and result in slower page loading times for everyone (again not much, but still). But that's why we want quick quote. ;)

Reply #20
Very nice. I think the quote had wrong font size before, but it's fixed now.

By the way, I didn't change anything about that. However, I did create a potential workaround for the user-defined font-size dilemma:

Code: [Select]
var iframe = document.createElement('iframe');
iframe.style.display = 'none';
document.body.appendChild(iframe);

var iframeWindow = iframe.contentWindow || iframe.documentWindow; // the latter is for old IE
var iframeDoc = iframeWindow.document;

var fontSize = getComputedStyle(iframeDoc.documentElement).getPropertyValue('font-size');

if (fontSize === '16px') {
  // assume the user didn't change the default
  // set font-size to 13px
}
else {
  // respect what the user said
  // Also this is stupid. It shouldn't have to be this hard to provide some proper user choice. >_< This is your fault, everyone who ever used 67%, and this is also your fault, browser makers who implemented rem (as opposed to em) over a decade too late.
}

Reply #21
Before you all complain again that the font-size is too large, I just made it a server-side setting in the looks and appearances area of the profile. I think this means one extra DB query, but having to set it all through JS on every computer you use sounds somewhat annoying.

Reply #22
Makes sense doing it that way. Now we can all have the size of font we prefer and are happy with.
Don't change it to 10e though like I just accidentally did.  :-[  Thank goodness for User mode in Opera.  :D

Reply #23
Haha. :) In practice 1em is equivalent to 100%, 1.5em to 150%, etc. Although it just occurs to me that 1.5 em is not an accepted value so I might need to work on that too. I'm trying to figure out a bit of a balance between allowing configurability and not letting people shoot themselves in the foot by setting e.g. 0% (which is currently possible).

Btw, I'm still working out some kinks so it might not be completely stable yet.

Edit: while I was at it, I also disabled the ICQ, MSN, AIM and Y!M profile fields because no one was using them anyway. I don't really care either way, but it looked a bit silly with all those columns being completely empty in the memberlist.

Reply #24

Before you all complain again that the font-size is too large, I just made it a server-side setting in the looks and appearances area of the profile. I think this means one extra DB query, but having to set it all through JS on every computer you use sounds somewhat annoying.

Quotes are ok and everything is brilliant! Take a dough nut!
I just came and got surprised by the view...  And I thought it was too large, and I dezoomed back a step - to 125% -- and it all looks just as it should! Take a doughnut and keep your fingers ON IT, ok?